Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheekweld Pistols

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I do not plan on using a suppressor with this upper.
    How do you find the blast and concussion vs a short 5.56? The 10.5” 7.62x39 I briefly had was miserable on a covered line.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    How do you find the blast and concussion vs a short 5.56? The 10.5” 7.62x39 I briefly had was miserable on a covered line.
    Oh yeah. AK SBRs are truly awful with blast and concussion. While less blasty, 10.5" 5.56 are no joke either, and ~7.5" 5.56 are worse. This is a main reason I went with 300BLK. Decent short-barrel ballistics is the other reason.

Full power 110 and 125gr loads are loud, but there's not a huge fireball. My Covert Comp seems to help keep the blast away from the shooter as well. Better than 5.56.

Unsuppressed subsonic 220gr are surprisingly not loud. If I had to shoot unsuppressed in a closed space without ear pro, that's obviously the best choice.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Thanks, that gives me something to think about when the next project comes around.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I can't repeat often enough how horrible it is to be anywhere near anyone shooting any 5.56mm in short barrel length. Several times I've cut shooting sessions short when someone shows up on an indoor range with a 7.5" 5.56. Even using active hearing protection, the couple of times I've been around Mk18s and Mk16 CQBs shooting inside vehicles and buildings, it's just plain no fun at all.

My buddy has a 11.5" SBR build that we shoot a bit, but he always runs it with a suppressor. That's the only way I'm interested in being on the range with him even outdoors...

I don't have much experience with 300s in short barrel, but for a "cheek gun" with an extra short barrel, I'm loving 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Even using active hearing protection, the couple of times I've been around Mk18s and Mk16 CQBs shooting inside vehicles and buildings, it's just plain no fun at all.
    I always double up these days. Electronic ear protection is not enough, although I haven't tried the custom-molded, in-ear units.

Can't wait for people with 16" in .277 Fury start showing up.

Oh yeah. AK SBRs are truly awful with blast and concussion. While less blasty, 10.5" 5.56 are no joke either, and ~7.5" 5.56 are worse. This is a main reason I went with 300BLK. Decent short-barrel ballistics is the other reason.

Full power 110 and 125gr loads are loud, but there's not a huge fireball. My Covert Comp seems to help keep the blast away from the shooter as well. Better than 5.56.

Unsuppressed subsonic 220gr are surprisingly not loud. If I had to shoot unsuppressed in a closed space without ear pro, that's obviously the best choice.
    When I was testing subsonic 300blk, I only found one round that reliably expanded.

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/jc...lures.1762792/

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/i-...#post-29557518

Name:  B1A1DEA1-4A0F-4664-8BA8-85016BCB9D76.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  63.6 KB

Any reason why you wouldn’t suppress it?

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Overall length.

The goal of this build, and why I'm interested in it, is to have a "long gun" that can be operated in the same space a handgun would be. If you add a suppressor, you are making this a lot harder.

I think the videos showing the concept are posted in another cheekweld pistol thread.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    When I was testing subsonic 300blk, I only found one round that reliably expanded.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Overall length.
    The goal of this build, and why I'm interested in it, is to have a "long gun" that can be operated in the same space a handgun would be. If you add a suppressor, you are making this a lot harder.
    Exactly. If it's going to be suppressed, I would vastly prefer my 11.5" 5.56 SBR with a real stock. But that is a much larger weapon.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

More so than with a number of techniques, the cheek weld method seems intertwined with the physical characteristics of the firearm, since your body interacts with the firearm differently than with more conventional techniques.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Overall length.

I think the videos showing the concept are posted in another cheekweld pistol thread.
    Exactly. If it's going to be suppressed, I would vastly prefer my 11.5" 5.56 SBR with a real stock. But that is a much larger weapon.
    Maybe. Or maybe not.

For me the 300 Blk wound up schizophrenic.

If I had a little more room, I’d want a 16” barrel AR or a suppressed 16” bullpup.

If I had less room, I’d want a pistol I could shoot one handed from retention.

So what’s the purpose of this and how would you know you needed that purpose ahead of time.

I guess the purpose could be that you could run supersonic if you needed to.

But out of a G22 you can get velocities like a reduced barrel AR.

Name:  2C21F321-72C7-456D-B96E-83FF588F2425.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  86.2 KB

And you could get one of those cheesy Flux braces or flip out braces for Glocks.

Also think outside the box. If you’re mainly shooting subs… you only need a handgun sized suppressor.

Some of those are small….

Name:  D0B992B9-B7F9-41C1-BA5C-8FBAAFAC5110.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  99.5 KB

User Tag List