Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheekweld Pistols

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    The problem is that the final rule (at least as presented in the notice on the ATF website) makes the answer to this question as clear as mud. The only way to know one is in compliance is by ensuring that every single factor comes out in one's favor, and that the gun complies with 18 USC sec. 922(r) (assembling rifles or shotguns that cannot be imported using too many imported parts).
    922 is only for rifles. If your handgun came in without a brace it's a handgun and not subject to 922.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    922 is only for rifles. If your handgun came in without a brace it's a handgun and not subject to 922.

If something is added to a pistol that ATF determines is to permit shouldering of the gun, then they consider it to be a rifle. How that determination is made is as clear as mud in many cases.

If something is added to a pistol that ATF determines is to permit shouldering of the gun, then they consider it to be a rifle. How that determination is made is as clear as mud in many cases.
    Seems pretty clear from what I've seen. Anything not meant for the function is not kosher. Anything meant for function but extended beyond what it needs to be is not kosher. If the AR buffer tube need to be 6 inches but you install one with 7 inches that's not ok.

If you don't add anything to the rear that can be shouldered theres no rifle so no need for 922.

So to be on the safe side, if the pistol doesn’t require a buffer tube to operate, then remove it and find a cap to plug up the opening?

Site Supporter
    Seems pretty clear from what I've seen. Anything not meant for the function is not kosher. Anything meant for function but extended beyond what it needs to be is not kosher. If the AR buffer tube need to be 6 inches but you install one with 7 inches that's not ok.

If you don't add anything to the rear that can be shouldered theres no rifle so no need for 922.

That is not what the notice says at all. The notice says that if it is not necessary for function, then it could potentially not be okay, and is one of multiple factors that will be considered. How those factors are applied, or how many factors must be found to be problematic is not specified. It is as clear as mud.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
    So to be on the safe side, if the pistol doesn’t require a buffer tube to operate, then remove it and find a cap to plug up the opening?
    Not having the unnecessary buffer tube would go a very long way to being safe. However, if the pistol was imported or assembled with imported parts, then that becomes a conversation that perhaps should occur in private with your attorney rather than on a public forum.

That is not what the notice says at all. The notice says that if it is not necessary for function, then it could potentially not be okay, and is one of multiple factors that will be considered. How those factors are applied, or how many factors must be found to be problematic is not specified. It is as clear as mud.
    So basically it's vague enough to make almost anything illegal. Meaning we did this so as not to lock our selves into any specific parts or loopholes. In other words don't put anything on the back.

Site Supporter
    So basically it's vague enough to make almost anything illegal. Meaning we did this so as not to lock our selves into any specific parts or loopholes. In other words don't put anything on the back.

Yes.

I ordered an inexpensive 7” .300 upper from Palmetto for this project, and my FFL has a new Aero lower waiting for me.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Hopefully this thing runs OK, @Clusterfrack’s and @SouthNarc’s experiences give me hope. New cheekweld pistol:

Name:  F1370DCE-21E6-4D51-9929-5842F390445F.jpg
Views: 1306
Size:  98.8 KB

Aero lower
    Complete PSA 7” .300 BO upper
    SI SPRE Slick short featureless pistol RE, flat spring and buffer

The inspiration:
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Short buffer assembly installed on the 7.5” 300BLK. Total length 21.5” w/o QD swivel. Now I need to find time to test function.

Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List