Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheekweld Pistols

Cheekweld Pistols

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Splitting off from the technique thread: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....pts-Cheek-Weld
    When I built this a few years ago, it was an exercise in making a small 9mm AR pistol to be used with a single point under tension. I found it works much better with cheekweld and NTCH, my usual AR hold. It’s a fun little gun that rode in a small bag next to the spare tire during the festivities a few years back.

Name:  16620FEB-A1AA-4999-B461-CE081D16B6EC.jpg
Views: 3342
Size:  97.6 KB
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 10-22-2021 at 03:40 PM.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

When I built this a few years ago, it was an exercise in making a small 9mm AR pistol to be used with a single point under tension. I found it works much better with cheekweld and NTCH, my usual AR hold. It’s a fun little gun that rode in a small bag next to the spare tire during the festivities a few years back.

Name:  16620FEB-A1AA-4999-B461-CE081D16B6EC.jpg
Views: 3342
Size:  97.6 KB
    That looks like a fantastic Cheek Weld option... What are the basic details of that build?

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    That looks like a fantastic Cheek Weld option... What are the basic details of that build?
    Thanks! From memory:

5.5” Ballistic Advantage barrel
    Quarter Circle 10 UZI mag lower and BCG - has LRBHO
    Vltor upper
    Unknown (cheap) 4.25” rail - I’d like to replace it some day
    MVB MPK RE
    Troy HK style front and standard rear BUIS
    Various BAD bits and bobs
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Thanks! From memory:

5.5” Ballistic Advantage barrel
    Quarter Circle 10 UZI mag lower and BCG - has LRBHO
    Vltor upper
    Unknown (cheap) 4.25” rail - I’d like to replace it some day
    MVB MPK RE
    Troy HK style front and standard rear BUIS
    Various BAD bits and bobs
    Nice!

From my periodic scattered internet research it seems like the AR 9mm platforms are a cool idea that works better on paper than real life.
    But it seems the UZI/Colt mag versions run best because the feed angle works better with the AR than Glock mags seem to.
    The other issue is usually hollow points... Those cause a lot of feeding issues as well and an AR 9mm is worthless to me if it will only run hardball.
    Also, how's the recoil impulse? I had a CZ Scorpion for a while and while the recoil was anything but punishing it still seemed silly to be shooting a 9mm that recoiled harder than a 5.56.

Nice!

From my periodic scattered internet research it seems like the AR 9mm platforms are a cool idea that works better on paper than real life.
    But it seems the UZI/Colt mag versions run best because the feed angle works better with the AR than Glock mags seem to.
    The other issue is usually hollow points... Those cause a lot of feeding issues as well and an AR 9mm is worthless to me if it will only run hardball.
    Also, how's the recoil impulse? I had a CZ Scorpion for a while and while the recoil was anything but punishing it still seemed silly to be shooting a 9mm that recoiled harder than a 5.56.
    I’ve had no issues with the HPs I’ve tried - mostly GD 124s. And the recoil is similar to that of my Scorpion. I thought I’d need a foam cheek pad, but it hasn’t been an issue with the 100 or so round range trips I’ve done.
    Ken

Nice!

I've done up 3 different 9mm ARs. The Colt and UZI mag versions work best, because they are a true double-feed magazine that presents the round in a much better angle. I've not had any problems with Gold Dot, HST, or various other HPs in my current 9mm gun.

Recoil impulse is always higher with the 9mm gun than the 5.56 gun, because the 9mm is a straight blowback design, JPs captured buffer helps.

They are fun guns. My biggest complaint about them is the weight of a loaded mag. A steel Colt or Uzi mag with 30-rounds of 9mm in it, weighs nearly half a pound more than a loaded 30-round PMag.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I've done up 3 different 9mm ARs. The Colt and UZI mag versions work best, because they are a true double-feed magazine that presents the round in a much better angle. I've not had any problems with Gold Dot, HST, or various other HPs in my current 9mm gun.

Recoil impulse is always higher with the 9mm gun than the 5.56 gun, because the 9mm is a straight blowback design, JPs captured buffer helps.

They are fun guns. My biggest complaint about them is the weight of a loaded mag. A steel Colt or Uzi mag with 30-rounds of 9mm in it, weighs nearly half a pound more than a loaded 30-round PMag.
    Good stuff but it's why I always circle back around to the idea that I could have the same size platform with better performance and efficiency by going with 300BO... Except for the price of feeding it.

Good stuff but it's why I always circle back around to the idea that I could have the same size platform with better performance and efficiency by going with 300BO... Except for the price of feeding it.
    That's why I have a 300BO sitting by the bed at night and my 9mm AR sits in the back of the safe most of the time.

I've thought about making it into an SBR to serve as a cheaper to shoot understudy for the .300, but I reload .300BO and I don't reload 9mm.

Following

Short buffer assembly installed on the 7.5” 300BLK. Total length 21.5” w/o QD swivel. Now I need to find time to test function.

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List