Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interesting Article

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    99.9% of military ammo is produced independently of the supply lines for civilian ammo
    The point of the article, and the reason I posted it, was because it is all controlled by two big corporations. Shortages are not the only way the military and law enforcement can be hurt. They (in actuality we the taxpayer) are hurt when these large corporate interests charge as much as they can get away with to governments and ultimately us who have to pay it or do without. The COVID excuse and now the supply chain excuse is all they need to charge everyone more.

How do they get away with it? Find out how many Congress critters these two corporations have made large donations to and you will have the answer. And their lobbyist were probably urging The Biden Administration to institute the ban on ammunition imported from Russia. The whole bloody business is crooked as a dogs hind leg.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    The point of the article, and the reason I posted it, was because it is all controlled by two big corporations. Shortages are not the only way the military and law enforcement can be hurt. They (in actuality we the taxpayer) are hurt when these large corporate interests charge as much as they can get away with to governments and ultimately us who have to pay it or do without. The COVID excuse and now the supply chain excuse is all they need to charge everyone more.

How do they get away with it? Find out how many Congress critters these two corporations have made large donations to and you will have the answer. And their lobbyist were probably urging The Biden Administration to institute the ban on ammunition imported from Russia. The whole bloody business is crooked as a dogs hind leg.

Dave
    Yeah but the article is wrong. It’s not “controlled by two big corporations” the way the article explains it.

Because whomever wrote the article did all their “research” on Wikipedia

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Yeah but the article is wrong. It’s not “controlled by two big corporations” the way the article explains it.

Because whomever wrote the article did all their “research” on Wikipedia
    I have a buddy who works for one of the 'other' companies.

They are having problems getting primers, even though the parent company makes them, so if Federal, Remington, CCI, or Winchester won't sell to them, they have to cut production.

Vista/ATK owns Federal, CCI, Remington, and Speer. Olin owns Winchester. I guess that, indeed, two companies hold market sway over folks needing primers.

AFAIK, Sig is in the process of building a primer manufacturing line in Arkansas, but they don't hold as large a market share (ammo-wise - I haven't seen any Sig primers for sale) as either the Vista or Olin companies.

So, yeah, to the point of the article, they exert considerable influence over the ammunition market place. That isn't good for the consumer in any product line.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

I am only addressing military ammo production, which is not “controlled by two companies” as OP asserted.

The article also deeply misunderstands how the commercial ammo market works in order to sell a “omgf monopolies are bad guyz” take

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    AFAIK, Sig is in the process of building a primer manufacturing line in Arkansas, but they don't hold as large a market share (ammo-wise - I haven't seen any Sig primers for sale) as either the Vista or Olin companies.
    I have heard that but I don't think you will see any Sig made primers for sale. They will likely use them in house or maybe sell to those incomplete OEMs. But that will free up commodity primers from the Big Two, another fungible product; it doesn't matter a lot what brand you use.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

"DESPITE ALL THE ISSUES with the small arms market, there are steps that can be taken to help"

None of them should have anything to do with relying on the government.
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

User Tag List