Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom Shop Colt vs BUL Armory -- Fair?

Site Supporter

Custom Shop Colt vs BUL Armory -- Fair?

So here are the pistols in question, a Colt Custom Carry Limited and a BUL Armory Commander:

Name:  Cmdrs.jpg
Views: 1964
Size:  45.6 KB

These are both 9mm Commanders with a number of similar attributes and some differences (obviously).

Okay -- I've owned a lot of Colts -- mostly 45s but also a few 9mm guns -- and have had good luck with them. Especially the 45s have always been solid. The 9mm Colts I've owned before have worked okay but I always felt like I was one round away from a malfunction. Plus the accuracy never impressed me compared to their 45s.

After a couple of attempts I gave up on the whole 9mm 1911 thing because though I like the concept I was never quite satisfied and I considered it a dead end. But I've recently started paying more attentions to reports about how 9mm guns from high-end manufacturers are working well. So while I think that when talking 45 1911s it's likely that the production line Colt or comparable gun will work just fine, with 9mm 1911s it seems success is directly related to the build quality and attention to detail.

I purchased the Colt Custom Carry Limited with hopes that it will prove to be a winner -- a high quality semi-custom 9mm 1911 that runs. So far after 500 rounds it hasn't shown a hint of malfunctioning, but that is a very low round count. Now since whenever I acquire a new pistol that could end up being carried I can't help myself -- I am inclined to get another gun to serve as a training analog/backup gun. But paying the high dollar price for an identical Colt before it has proven itself seemed foolish. So that brings me to the BUL Armory 9mm Commander.

I saw some articles and reviews about BUL Armory guns and that got me interested in the Commander as a second to my Colt. On the other hand, who knows -- the Colt could end up as a second to the BUL. But anyway, BUL Armory is an Israeli company with a US distributor. From what I saw, it seemed like they put an emphasis on build quality and value. The price tag on the BUL Commander is in the same range and maybe slightly lower than a production line Colt and other comparable makes. Which means that if the quality is really good and the gun runs then it is a bargain for a good 9mm 1911.

This thread is about how the two guns -- with their very difference price tags -- compare. Is it fair to compare the two? Colt's Custom Shop guns and their production line guns are two very different things from a price and quality standpoint. The Custom Carry Limited uses all high-end parts (no cast or MIM) and is completely hand built and fitted by gunsmiths in the Custom Shop. I don't know how much hand fitting is done at BUL Armory -- some videos hint that they do perform some hand fitting of their guns but there is not much information available about their build process. But after receiving the BUL I am impressed so far. So heck yeah, let's compare the two.

Fit and Finish.
    Not the most important criteria for a gun that will be used as a weapon. On the other hand, when you pay the money for a high-end 1911 you want it to look good.
    Colt:
    No noticeable flaws in fit or finish. The Decobond (tm) Smoke Grey finish looks nice and should hold up over time pretty well. The slide to frame fit is nice and snug, but operation of the slide is silky smooth. Colt's in-house checkering is very nicely done. All the parts work together nicely and the gun feels great in the hand with the rounded Chen MSH / mag well. There is a pony on the slide.
    BUL:
    The finish is plain stainless except for some of the small parts like the thumb safety. The fitment is well done, and the slide to frame fit is equal to the Colt.
    Slight advantage Colt.

Trigger
    Both guns have good triggers with a short, crisp reset. The trigger on the BUL is about half a pound lighter than the Colt.
    Advantage BUL.

Safeties
    The grip safeties on both guns are blended nicely to the frame. It requires about one third of the safety's travel to allow the trigger to be pressed -- on each gun.
    The thumb safeties are well fit with positive clicks on and off. The Chen thumb safety on the Colt looks a little nicer.
    Tie.

Sights
    The Colt has a Chen rear sight mated with a tritium front sight. The tritium front can be a good option for a carry gun.
    The BUL has all black sights front and rear. I will have to apply some sight paint to the front sight.
    The sights on both guns provide a good sight picture. Neither front sight is real easy to see when shooting indoors.
    I actually prefer the rear sight on the BUL, as the Chen rear sight is a bit "swoopy" for my taste.
    Tie.

Grips
    If they were wood I would call them "stocks".
    Both guns come with G-10 grip panels with a thumb relief for the mag release.
    The VZ Predator Green grips on the Colt work great but aren't really my style. I contacted VZ and they were nice enough to make a black set that fit with the Officer's grip frame and Chen mag well.
    The grip panels on the BUL aren't really my taste either but they work just fine. Don't know if I will replace them.
    Tie.

Magazines
    The Colt ships with two 9-round mags, not sure what kind but they seem to work. The combination of Officer's model grip frame with the Chen mag well make the length perfect for use with a 9-round mag with extended baseplate.
    The BUL ships with two 10-round mags. Any 10-round mag will extend well beyond the bottom of the standard grip frame on this gun. No biggie but something to note.
    I always purchase a supply of good mags for my guns and I already have seven Ed Brown 9-round mags for use in these guns. I don't rely on the supplied mags and don't worry too much about how they work.
    Tie.

Other Details
    Both guns have front and rear cocking serrations that are wider than traditional but cut deep and easy to use.
    The barrel on the Colt is crowned and recessed with a nicely fitted bushing. The BUL has a bull barrel (bushing-less) that extends beyond the end of the slide.
    The Colt is equipped with a GI-style guide rod and plug. The BUL has a full length guide rod requiring a paper clip or similar item for take-down. It could end up getting replaced at some point.
    The Colt has a nicely serrated top strap.
    The Colt has a Chen blended MSH/mag well that works really nicely. The BUL has a standard opening but is beveled.
    Advantage Colt, though this comes down to personal preference. Not much to complain about on either gun.

Shooting Impressions
    After 500 rounds including a box of Federal HST ammo the Colt hasn't malfunctioned yet. Yes I know that is just getting started and does not represent a good test.
    When good basics are applied (like pressing the trigger without moving the darn gun for example) the gun shoots where it is aimed. So far most of the shooting has been at 7-10 yards but the accuracy looks to be on point.

I have not had the BUL Armory Commander to the range yet -- that will happen this weekend and I will post an update.
    I am hopeful the BUL will prove dependable but it will be a while before that is known.
    The heavier bull barrel may make a positive difference when shooting, but the barrel profile isn't always necessarily the biggest factor.

So far I am a bit impressed at how well the BUL Armory Commander stacks up against the slightly more refined Colt Custom Carry Limited. But it's still very early yet. More to come in future posts.

Site Supporter
    So after shooting 200 rounds through he BUL Commander today I came away with a mostly favorable impression. I had no malfunctions and the gun is easy to shoot. Easier than the Colt in fact. This is due to the BUL having a slightly better trigger than the Colt.

Since the Colt gun is intended as a carry piece, it has the Series 80 firing pin safety. Now, I agree that it's possible for a S80 gun to have a good trigger -- in fact my Special Combat Government's trigger is superb. But for the most part, I still feel that a S70 trigger is going to be better than a S80 trigger as it comes from the manufacturer. In this case, the trigger on the BUL is just simply better than the S80 trigger on the Colt. This is noticeable when shooting and makes it easier to score good hits on the target -- plain and simple.

So far the only negative I see with the BUL is that it seems slightly under-sprung. I had no malfunctions, but there were times when the slide seemed sluggish when returning to battery. The Colt with its dual recoil spring setup returns to battery with authority. I will probably order a chrome silicon recoil spring for the BUL to see if that makes a positive difference.

I remain impressed with the BUL Commander. So far anyway.

Very interesting comparison and not one I would have thought to make. I have no personal experience with any BUL pistol and even less with 9mm Commanders. I do have a fair amount of experience with five-inch 9mm 1911-pattern pistols.

As for the recoil spring on the BUL, unless the empties are landing much farther away than the Colt's empties, I would leave well enough alone. As the pistol is used and the bearing surfaces better mate, there will be a bit less friction and the slide will return to battery a bit faster. My concern with more recoil spring is two-fold: 1) The pistol runs as-is with no issues, and 2) more recoil spring means more muzzle dip as the slide returns to battery.

Site Supporter
    Okay I have fired a few hundred more rounds through each of these Commanders (still with no malfunctions of any kind), and I have become a big fan of BUL Armory. Their 1911s are no joke. I have an identical pistol waiting for me at the LGS to pick up today in fact, because when I decide to start carrying a gun I like to have a duplicate.

BUL Armory performs some hand fitting on their guns at the factory, how much I don't know -- but it shows in the build quality. These guns are at least Dan Wesson quality at beneath Colt / Springfield Armory price. If you have any interest in them I suggest getting into one relatively soon because I expect the prices to go nowhere but up. My hope is that as more people find out about BUL the demand doesn't lead them to start cutting corners.

The Colt Custom Carry Limited is a handsome pistol, nothing wrong with it. The function is absolutely solid. But honestly the trigger doesn't compare favorably to the BUL. The Colt trigger has a hard break, like many Series 80 guns. I had hoped it would be as good as the S80 trigger in my Special Combat Government but nope. Shooting the Colt and the BUL together, the BUL is much easier to hit with.

The only thing about the BUL I don't really care for is having to use a small tool fashioned from a paper clip to disassemble the gun. But the design works so nicely it's hard to complain.

Any updates? I feel a relapse of 1911-itus coming on.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    The only thing about the BUL I don't really care for is having to use a small tool fashioned from a paper clip to disassemble the gun. But the design works so nicely it's hard to complain.
    I think I’ve swapped all my FLGRs out for GI. Any reason it can’t be done on the BUL?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I would refer the Colt to a good gunsmith, the S80 can be done pretty well. I have one neutered S80 but only because the replacement trigger's overtravel is so short as to not fully clear the firing pin obstruction and gave the occasional misfire. I am reluctant to mess with it because it is my second best 1911ish trigger, but I could not tell a difference in the pull with or without the lawyer levers.

Good to hear about the Bul, it makes them look like a reasonable choice in the standard configuration. Price goes up fast for models I would look at for IDPA or USPSA.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Does the Colt have a ramped barrel?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    Does the Colt have a ramped barrel?
    No it does not.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Any updates? I feel a relapse of 1911-itus coming on.
    Both of my BUL 9mm Commanders are still running strong. No malfunctions to date with either gun.

I think I’ve swapped all my FLGRs out for GI. Any reason it can’t be done on the BUL?
    Hmm... with the bull/cone barrel it would require some type of reverse plug I think, and would also mean disassembly by way of holding the slide back under tension and removing the slide release. That last part wouldn't be a problem for me since that's how I typically do it anyway on guns with a regular guide rod, but not everyone does.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I would refer the Colt to a good gunsmith, the S80 can be done pretty well.
    This is very true, as evidenced by my Special Combat Government -- a S80 gun which has a superb trigger.

User Tag List