Page 38 of 60 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: Alec Baldwin kills crew member on set with "prop gun"

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Hannah Gutierrez Reed, the armorer and key props assistant on Rust, filed a lawsuit in New Mexico state court on Wednesday saying the production bought live ammunition that she believed to be dummy rounds.

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/13/10727...on-set-shootin
    She's not very bright, is she?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    I spent sometime explaining dummy rounds and snap caps to my wife. Obviously, the plastic, metal colored types are clearly not live rounds. So did the rounds in this box look like real rounds? Are the dummy rounds looking like real rounds without any distinguishing marks anywhere? If the box was marked as dummy rounds and the dummy round but live themselves were marked as such, perhaps she is not at fault. If live rounds were marked as dummy, someone up the chain needs to be held responsible.

Certainly, we have seen training accidents where real rounds have been put in during training for tragic results.

Earlier discussion mentioned that movie dummy rounds sometimes look exactly like live rounds for use in closeup shots(loading, etc.). Apparently they are usually loaded with something that will rattle when they are shaken as a way to distinguish them from live rounds. I don’t know if that’s universal. If there are “silent”, identical dummy rounds, keeping them segregated would be difficult.

Site Supporter
    Shouldn't the area around the primer which usually says what the round is, have a clear dummy marking?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Shouldn't the area around the primer which usually says what the round is, have a clear dummy marking?
    The head stamp generally does not refer to the specific round you're handling. It's referring to the manufacturer of the case, which can then be loaded for whatever necessary purpose.

In military/LE, it's common for dummy rounds to be missing the primer as an indicator, and to have a ribbed case body.

The reason these are not done on movie props, to include an obvious dummy indicator as you ask about, is because they want the round to look realistic instead of like a dummy round. It'd be like requiring movies attach BFAs to their weapons. In such a case, putting a BB's inside the case is quite literally the best thing you can do, as it's an audible check that the case is indeed empty and not just an indicator that could have been misused and loaded with a live powder charge/primer.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

The Cynic in Me

Alex was seen weeping while on his phone immediately after the mishap.

He wept not for the loss of life, but for the loss of his career.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    She's not very bright, is she?
    Neither is Baldwin, possibly. Buried at the bottom of that article is a single comment that he still hasn’t turned over his phone from the search warrant dated Dec 16th. LE peeps: is that a common occurrence? I’d think that would be a bit of a priority in the investigation, but then again, I do other things for a living.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Neither is Baldwin, possibly. Buried at the bottom of that article is a single comment that he still hasn’t turned over his phone from the search warrant dated Dec 16th. LE peeps: is that a common occurrence?
    No; the warrant is a legally binding order by a judge, even the LEOs themselves would be in violation if they refused to go get it (the language generally includes, "I COMMAND you", and "You SHALL", it's very clear). There's also usually a time stamp on the search warrant, and if not served by that period will be considered "stale" and the warrant void. If the SW was issued Dec 16th, we're absolutely beyond that point as it's usually 2 weeks, but some judges can be even tighter. But, the article also says that the Sheriff's Office issued a search warrant for the phone, which is patently false as LEOs/departments cannot issue search warrants, only judges can.

This all makes me think that they only politely asked for the phone and there is not a SW, and this is just a matter of reporters not knowing what they're writing about. With that said, I'd be very surprised if the investigators didn't serve preservation requests to the providers of whatever electronic media is of interest, so depending on what they're looking for, the investigators might have time to develop PC for a SW (typically a preservation is good for 90 days).
    Last edited by TGS; 01-13-2022 at 07:29 PM.

@TGS thanks for the knowledge bomb.

Makes sense.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    @TGS thanks for the knowledge bomb.

Makes sense.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...?ocid=msedgntp

This article has more details.

TBH, I have no idea how that's handled from state-to-state. I'm federal, so I get a warrant for the appropriate venue and just go take your phone, wherever you are, even if it's on an anticipatory application....makes it a lot easier. So, I'm not exactly sure what's going on here.

Maybe @BehindBlueI's has some insight.

User Tag List