Page 3 of 60 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Alec Baldwin kills crew member on set with "prop gun"

Exclusive Eyewitness Recounts Shooting on Alec Baldwin Movie Set: One bullet ripped through both victims

https://www.showbiz411.com/2021/10/2...h-both-victims

On the ground, Baldwin was in shock but composed. He kept asking why he was handed a “hot gun.” Our eyewitness said Baldwin kept saying “In all my years, I’ve never been handed a hot gun.”

“A hot gun” means a gun with real ammunition.

Found this in a story on the Brandon Lee death:
    ———

As the police investigation began, little was certain about how Lee died, and rumors circulated that the film set was jinxed (there had been a series of accidents), or that his death had been plotted by some unknown enemy. In the end, the truth was far less sinister, but no less tragic. Hollowed-out cartridges are often used to film close-ups of a gun being loaded; the “dummy” cartridges are then supposed to be removed and replaced with blanks before being fired. The police investigation into Lee’s death concluded that a tip of one of the cartridge’s bullets broke off from the cartridge and lodged in the gun, then fired at Lee along with the blank.
    Last edited by peterb; 10-22-2021 at 08:33 AM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Found this in a story on the Brandon Lee death:
    ———

As the police investigation began, little was certain about how Lee died, and rumors circulated that the film set was jinxed (there had been a series of accidents), or that his death had been plotted by some unknown enemy. In the end, the truth was far less sinister, but no less tragic. Hollowed-out cartridges are often used to film close-ups of a gun being loaded; the “dummy” cartridges are then supposed to be removed and replaced with blanks before being fired. The police investigation into Lee’s death concluded that a tip of one of the cartridge’s bullets broke off from the cartridge and lodged in the gun, then fired at Lee along with the blank.
    ———
    Makes more sense when the details are explained more correctly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Lee

In the film shoot preceding the fatal scene, the prop gun, which is a real revolver, was loaded with improperly-made dummy rounds, cartridges from which the special-effects crew had removed the powder charges so in close-ups the revolver would show normal-looking ammunitions. However, the crew neglected to remove the primers from the cartridges. At some point before the fatal event, one of the rounds had been fired; although there was no powder charges, the energy from the ignited primer was enough to separate the bullet from the casing and push it part-way into the gun barrel, where it got stuck (a condition known as a squib load). For the fatal scene, which called for the revolver to be fired at Lee from a distance of 3.6–4.5 meters (12–15 ft), the dummy cartridges were replaced with blank rounds, which contained a powder charge and the primer, but no solid bullet, allowing the gun to be fired with sound and flash effects without the risk of an actual projectile. However, the gun was not properly checked and cleared before the blank round was fired, and the dummy bullet previously lodged in the barrel was then propelled forward by the blank and shot out the muzzle with almost the same force as if the round were live, striking Lee in the abdomen.[99][100]
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

More random thoughts….

An actor in a “shooting” role will have rehearsed(practiced) pointing a gun at another person and pulling the trigger. It’s part of their job. Their “never do that” alarm has been partially disabled.

That said, it sounds like he pointed the gun at the director of photography and pulled the trigger. That probably wasn’t in the script. If she was positioned near the line of fire during the shooting of a scene and he “missed” that’s a bit different.

If it was live ammunition: Is there a use for live ammunition on a movie set other than in the hands of authorized security personnel?
    Last edited by peterb; 10-22-2021 at 10:00 AM.

Site Supporter
    TO Echo the sentiments of PNG, HD, Chance and others

1. We are at a monster information deficient and would want the benefit of the doubt re any blameworthiness if it was one of us or someone we loved/respected/cared about etc.

2. Compassion and mercy are reflections of those who extend it, not necessarily the recipients of the same.

3. Prayers up and out for all involved to include the deceased, injured, Mr. Baldwin and his family. Amen, Amen and Amen.

Edge of My Lane:

The ultimate impediment to cases like this getting resolved in a reasonable timeframe for a bit more than what is "fair" when it appears that the victim(s) are blameless is not liability, it's valuation/economic damages. i.e. Are were going to "assume" that the deceased was going to make x (i.e. solid 7 figure number) as a 40 something female film maker who has 20 more years of work or does her estate take the position that she was on her way up, way up and here premature death means that she will not earn 10's of millions of dollars. This can be particularly true if the first 2 or 3 sets of pockets are insurance companies (Studio/production company/individual "actors" etc.) after any retention amount (essentially a deductible) is paid by the policy holder(s).
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

More random thoughts….

An actor in a “shooting” role will have rehearsed(practiced) pointing a gun at another person and pulling the trigger. It’s part of their job. Their “never do that” alarm has been partially disabled.

That said, it sounds like he pointed the gun at the director of photography and pulled the trigger. That probably wasn’t in the script.

If it was live ammunition: Is there a use for live ammunition on a movie set other than in the hands of authorized security personnel?
    I've done a bit of work on film sets. In the one case where we used a real firearm as a prop, the director was a deeply firearm-savvy guy with a military background in a NATO country. He stopped the entire production, gathered everyone around, and said that he'd be using a real gun for about an hour and that it would be gone as soon as they were done. Then he did exactly that. Live ammo isn't normally around a film set, but film people are rarely gun people so they may not think about safety the way that we would.

On the Baldwin film, the people who got shot were the DP and the director. The DP manages the camera and makes sure that the scene is lit in such a way that the director's ideas come through, so the DP and the director are essentially joined at the hip while they're on set. If you use film, then the DP is right behind the camera with the director nearby. With digital cameras, the DP and the director are usually side by side a few feet from the camera watching the action on a digital monitor. If the script called for the actor to fire in the direction of the camera, then these two people (and several others who need to work close to the camera) might have been in the line of fire.

I'm no fan of Alec Baldwin but I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Sad. Prayers for all of the involved folks.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Makes more sense when the details are explained more correctly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Lee
    Trivia: John Wick was directed by Brandon Lee's stunt double.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/247...-the-franchise
    That said, it sounds like he pointed the gun at the director of photography and pulled the trigger. That probably wasn’t in the script. If she was positioned near the line of fire during the shooting of a scene and he “missed” that’s a bit different.
    That 2 people were shot makes me think they were filming from a down-barrel perspective for cinematic purposes. Either that or he was goofing off between takes?

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post

On the Baldwin film, the people who got shot were the DP and the director. The DP manages the camera and makes sure that the scene is lit in such a way that the director's ideas come through, so the DP and the director are essentially joined at the hip while they're on set. If you use film, then the DP is right behind the camera with the director nearby. With digital cameras, the DP and the director are usually side by side a few feet from the camera watching the action on a digital monitor. If the script called for the actor to fire in the direction of the camera, then these two people (and several others who need to work close to the camera) might have been in the line of fire.

I'm no fan of Alec Baldwin but I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

Okie John
    Your explanation of the roles and positioning of the decedent and director makes enormous sense. Add the fact that cameras often angle down slightly, unless an effect is called for, and one can easily see a situation with a scripted scene calling for a shot towards the camera, and the sight/barrel line passing solidly through the first person (DP) and then up into the clavicle of the director standing behind.

I mean, none of us were there, but your desecription of a possible setting sure seems plausible.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I'm guessing it wasn't a blank, probably a wad cutter.

Blanks have no heavy projectiles, just primer, powder and a cap. The cap isn't heavy enough to injure anyone. Generally, in the western shoot out reenactments, the actors load their own blanks. I talked to a guy that used a shotgun that loaded his own ammo. He used brass cases, a primer, some powder and floral clay for a cap.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List