Page 59 of 60 FirstFirst ... 94957585960 LastLast

Thread: Alec Baldwin kills crew member on set with "prop gun"

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Well, the old story was, first one to turn state's evidence gets the Deal, the rest get the trial.
    In this case, two turned, for the state, against H.G.-R., in exchange for lighter treatment. The Assistant Director got the plea deal, and the other, a female, was granted immunity. Again, I am not saying that H.G.-R. should not have been convicted. And, of course, life is not fair.

I can still hope that A.B. gets a criminal conviction, though I am realistically pessimistic.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    I'd really like to see that guy's credentials that made him an "expert witness". A friend and former colleauge of mine has done similar work and we both tried to find a background on this guy and couldn't find much more than a few op-eds/letters to the editor and some stuff on his father. What little I did find made me wonder where the defense was sourcing their people from.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

White collar on a patterned shirt, with a patterned tie. In particular one that doesn't match.

The universal sign of, "Ok, grandpa, let's get you back to the retirement home".
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    A successful affirmative defense negates criminal liability, but the elements of the crime are met. Again, think of the elements as the definition.
    This is the heart of the disagreement. The elements of the crime are only relevant if it is, in fact, a crime.

I'll ask again, do you think there's such a thing as justified murder? Would you say your hypothetical officer committed murder, but it was justified? I doubt it, because that's both offensive and absurd.

Somewhere in your state code you will have some version of "A person is justified in using lethal force when..." and I strongly doubt it's listed under manslaughter or murder or battery with a deadly weapon or whatever. It is it's own law and it tells you that an action is justified without even needing to know the outcome. Justified =/= not legally culpable any more than Justified =/= not guilty. You can be not legally culpable without being justified in the same way you can be not guilty without being justified...but it doesn't work in the other direction. If you are justified there is no crime to be culpable for or to be found guilty of. It is a legally distinct action..

This is why it is Justifiable Homicide and *not* Justifiable Murder. It's also why an affirmative defense such as insanity does not alter UCR stats vs a "vanilla" criminal act of the same type, but a justified action does.

I'm honestly not sure how you don't get the distinction, but you seem to be the only one in the thread operating under it. I just replied so others who may read through this and may not get the nuance can understand why legally there is no 'justified murder' or 'justified manslaughter' and why shooting to wound in a justified shoot is going to be irrelevant to the US criminal justice system regardless of how long it takes the guy to die, or even if he does die.

Summary:
    Your hypothetical cop shot a hostage taker armed with a deadly weapon. 1st decision point: Was this a justified use of lethal force? Yes. Then literally nothing else matters as to where the officer aimed, how long it took the guy to die, even if the guy died. Elements of the crime *do not apply because it is not a crime, it is a legally distinct justified action*
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 03-08-2024 at 12:58 PM.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    White collar on a patterned shirt, with a patterned tie. In particular one that doesn't match.

The universal sign of, "Ok, grandpa, let's get you back to the retirement home".
    From what we could find, that doesn't seem far off. Best I could find, dude looks like a Financial Advisor who likes old guns as a hobby or something. Hard for me to understand how he would be at the standard of someone that you'd bring in as an expert. Most experts I've interacted with in these instances came from a background that wasn't financial planning.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

She got 18 months rather than the conditional discharge she was hoping for. Getting caught on a jailhouse phone call calling the jury idiots and complaining about the decline in her modeling career probably didn't help her any.

She still faces a separate charge after prosecutors found a selfie video of her with the gun inside a Sante Fe bar recorded before she became the armorer.
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 04-15-2024 at 02:46 PM.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...n-set-shooting
    Good, now I would like to see the same thing happen to baldwin.

Site Supporter
    Why do people say stupid things on prison phones? The Crumbley idiots did the same thing. I'm betting Baldwin gets off. Just takes one juror to think - He was told the gun was ok.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

I don’t know about the “serious violent offender” part. Frankly, I doubt that she was all that serious about anything. All that aside, let’s see what happens with Baldwin.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Why do people say stupid things on prison phones? The Crumbley idiots did the same thing.
    Happens a lot. it's not a secret that prison phone calls are recorded. Some idiot in this area tried to order up a hit on his ex-girlfriend and her boyfriend over the prison phone. (Guess they're too cheap to buy a contraband cell phone.)
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List