Page 29 of 60 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Alec Baldwin kills crew member on set with "prop gun"

Quote Originally Posted by Edster View Post
    I'm pretty much shutting up on this until a police report comes out. The "facts" seem to keep changing (which makes them not facts at all). Each new fact triggers a new wave of "woulda, shoulda, coulda" until the next new fact.

I regret any earlier comments I made. While P-F is doing its usual "better than most of the internet" job on this topic, what really happened still seems clouded in supposition, rumor, and partial information. Not many safety lessons can be derived from this other than the duh-level ones so far.
    Now where's the fun in that?!?

It's an utterly rational take, as far as I can see.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Now where's the fun in that?!?

It's an utterly rational take, as far as I can see.
    This is also a way of publicly pre-empting myself from participating in the BDSM portion of the discussion. No good would come of that.

As for Alec as producer, there's various levels of that, and it's pretty common for a big name actor to get that credit for all the myriad of Hollywood's Byzantine accounting & other reasons- and not really have much to do with the actual details of the production.

And Hollywood is truly a flock of blue falcons, and if it's not in a legally binding contract of who can do what, with what, and to whom, then expect a screwing harder than Weinstein at a naive aspiring actress's convention. It's an industry that is utterly unlike anything else, and the attempts to apply concepts & principles that work for aircraft crews, shooting matches, or other non related organizations just doesn't work.

At this point, his not really knowing too much about the details of the production wouldn't be too surprising.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    To the real topic:

This is a huge issue to me. Many of us want to dogpile on Alec because he is an anti-gunner. I get it, but it isn't right. I actually have no problem with his actions as an actor. The safety measures in place have worked on many, many movies. The problem I have is with him as a producer who created an atmosphere of cutting corners. Hiring unqualfied staff. He is a dick and no doubt bullied compliance to safety issues. But we should be weighing his actions, not which team he is on. "It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" - Batman.

The tribalism and absolutism in our country is nearing a head. I'm not sure where it's leading. The us vs them mentality is on top of all our other issues and acts like a catalyst. I have no idea how this will resolve.
    Alec Baldwin isn't like your friend with whom you have different politics but still have a great friendship. He has pretty much said that he wished gun owners and republicans would die and that he doesn't believe in the Second Amendment. He has been very vocal about it on Twitter. He is an angry hothead in real life doing things like starting a fight over a parking space and leaving nasty messages on his then teenage daughters answering machine calling her little pig. He is a very nasty person on Twitter to people and politics that he disagrees with. So I am not sympathetic to his plight. However, I do feel badly about the cinematographer mother who got killed as a victim of other people's carelessness with firearms.

That’s actually a line from one of David Mamet’s movies; “An Associate Producer cridit? That’s what you give your secretary instead of a raise.”

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    Alec Baldwin isn't like your friend with whom you have different politics but still have a great friendship. He has pretty much said that he wished gun owners and republicans would die and that he doesn't believe in the Second Amendment. He has been very vocal about it on Twitter. He is an angry hothead in real life doing things like starting a fight over a parking space and leaving nasty messages on his then teenage daughters answering machine calling her little pig. He is a very nasty person on Twitter to people and politics that he disagrees with. So I am not sympathetic to his plight. However, I do feel badly about the cinematographer mother who got killed as a victim of other people's carelessness with firearms.
    Some people seem to think that there is a Massive Jerk/ Hypocrite exemption to due process and rule of law. We don't have to feel sympathetic, but we do have to give him the full benefit of the same legal protections and processes we would want for ourselves.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Some people seem to think that there is a Massive Jerk/ Hypocrite exemption to due process and rule of law. We don't have to feel sympathetic, but we do have to give him the full benefit of the same legal protections and processes we would want for ourselves.
    I completely agree with you.

I also don't think that @Ed L would be one to deny him his legal protections as guaranteed under the Constitution.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TDA View Post
    That’s actually a line from one of David Mamet’s movies; “An Associate Producer cridit? That’s what you give your secretary instead of a raise.”
    Sate and Main, such a good movie. RIP Phillip Seymour Hoffman.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I completely agree with you.

I also don't think that @Ed L would be one to deny him his legal protections as guaranteed under the Constitution.
    I would challenge anyone to find a post of mine were I suggest that anyone be denied legal protections as guaranteed under the Constitution or due process.

The same cannot be said for Alec Baldwin as represented by his statements and tweets. The same can be found for many other members of the left.
    Last edited by Ed L; 10-31-2021 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Please show any post that I made that suggests or implies that anyone should be denied legal protections or due process.

User Tag List