Page 19 of 60 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Alec Baldwin kills crew member on set with "prop gun"

At a pretty basic level, it’s a tragedy. A young woman, wife and mother, is dead. There is another injured; these are the facts we know at the moment, to include the identity of the shooter, Alec Baldwin.
    My opinion of him, seemingly like many here, is negative. From his actions over the years, I consider him to be arrogant, abusive, pompous and wrong on many issues. He may well have serious legal problems here. And if he has some culpability, I hope justice is done.
    It does seem like there are other serious issues that hopefully will come to light. It is obvious that given the amount of “gunplay” in modern entertainment this is exceptional, much like deaths due to stunts, etc.
    Pretty sure with all this attention, and the seemingly all encompassing internet, we will get some answers relatively soon.
    One inference seems clear: there were failures by at least one, more probably several people that resulted in a woman’s death. The firearm, like a motorcycle, car or aircraft, was just the instrument of lethal force.
    Sad on many levels.

Scott Reeder (Prop Master, unrelated to "Rust") talks over some of the gun handling procedures on a film set.

Scott also has a video from August where he talks about prop weapons in film
    Last edited by Artemas2; 10-24-2021 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    What's the disdain for the LEOs conducting the investigation about?
    What disdain?
    I don't see a reason to work Sunday on this.
    And I don't think LEOs or anybody else will be allowed to put out public reports.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

A few more details, but no explanation for the live round:
    ———-

Alec Baldwin was practicing a stunt when a prop gun he was holding fired and killed 42-year-old cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and injured Director Joel Souza on the set of the movie Rust, according to affidavits for search warrants released by the Santa Fe County Sheriff's Office.

The new documents, based on interviews between sheriff detectives and several members of the film's crew, offer the most complete accounting so far of Thursday's shooting in New Mexico.

According to the documents, Baldwin was sitting in a church pew on the set of the film while rehearsing a scene that involved drawing a revolver and pointing it at the camera. Hutchins and Souza were viewing the camera angle, Souza told detectives. Souza, who was shot in the shoulder, was standing behind Hutchins.

https://www.npr.org/2021/10/25/10489...chins-shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Artemas2 View Post
    Scott Reeder (Prop Master, unrelated to "Rust") talks over some of the gun handling procedures on a film set.
    Interesting to hear about dummy rounds being loaded with BBs for an audible check to ensure that they are not live rounds. I was wondering about that. I have dummy rounds with a hole in one side of the cartridge case, but that obviously wouldn’t work for closeups.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Interesting to hear about dummy rounds being loaded with BBs for an audible check to ensure that they are not live rounds. I was wondering about that. I have dummy rounds with a hole in one side of the cartridge case, but that obviously wouldn’t work for closeups.
    That caught my notice as well. My thought was the opposite, that many cartridges (especially big, black-powder-based pistol cartridges) will audibly rattle when shaken due to less than 100 percent fill. BBs probably make a different sound than powder granules, but that still wouldn't give me warm fuzzies as a guaranteed indicator that what I was hearing shake wasn't powder.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

The gun that killed “Rust” cinematographer Halyna Hutchins last Thursday was used by crew members that morning for live-ammunition target practice, an individual with knowledge of the set told TheWrap.
    https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...210815754.html
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

If true, it probably was not a cap-and-ball revolver as was shown in an earlier report.

That article also include this gem:

A number of crew members had taken prop guns from the New Mexico set of the indie Western — including the gun that killed Hutchins — to go “plinking,” a hobby in which people shoot at beer cans with live ammunition to pass the time, the insider said.
    Not sure if I trust the source of the information.

AD apparently did not have good reputation for safety.
    ———
    In an email statement to The Associated Press, a producer for the movie "Freedom's Path" confirmed that Dave Halls was fired from the 2019 production after a crew member suffered a minor injury "when a gun was unexpectedly discharged." The producer, who asked not to be identified by name, wrote that Halls "was removed from the set immediately." Production did not resume until Halls was gone.

https://www.npr.org/2021/10/26/10492...er-2019-mishap

User Tag List