Page 30 of 60 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Alec Baldwin kills crew member on set with "prop gun"

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    I would challenge anyone to find a post of mine were I suggest that anyone be denied legal protections as guaranteed under the Constitution or due process.
    Apologies for the implication that you were the one personally doing that.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Apologies for the implication that you were the one personally doing that.
    Not a problem. All is well.

Gentlemen, that was civil. One of many reasons to stick around here.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    If I want an angry woman I'll just gut a small animal in the kitchen.

Way cheaper.
    I would complain about the BDSM thread split leaving my comment hanging without any context but upon reflection it's not any weirder than half the things I say.

I don't think anyone can deny that Alec Baldwin is a fantastic actor. But he has other issues that have been adequately covered in this thread.

Here is one of my favorite clips of him from the movie Glengarry Glen Ross, where he plays the role of a hard ass who is supposed to motivate a real estate salesforce. The movie also stars Jack Lemmon, Al Pacino, Ed Harris, Alan Arkin, and Kevin Spacey. Of course it motivated me to create some memes based on that scene where I changed the words a bit to fit the current situation. Again, I think it's a horrible situation that a woman was killed and another person was wounded by blatant negligence on the set on many levels. However, Alec Baldwin does lend himself to easy parody and the situation is so memeable. Sorry for the formatting of attachments.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Ed L; 11-03-2021 at 12:51 AM.

And here are some things that I can see Jay Leno commenting on the situation. For those of you too young to remember, Jay Leno used to host the Tonight Show.

Name:  Jay-Leno - Copy.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  80.2 KB

Name:  jay leno 2 - Copy.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  91.5 KB

Please show any post that I made that suggests or implies that anyone should be denied legal protections or due process.
    You may not have said Baldwin should be denied due process, but there is a ton of schadenfreude in your and others posts.

The memes are in bad taste given a woman is dead and no one has proven that, say, Keanu Reeves or any other actor wouldn’t have pulled the trigger if handed the pistol that fateful day had they be been playing the lead.

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    You may not have said Baldwin should be denied due process, but there is a ton of schadenfreude in your and others posts.

The memes are in bad taste given a woman is dead and no one has proven that, say, Keanu Reeves or any other actor wouldn’t have pulled the trigger if handed the pistol that fateful day had they be been playing the lead.
    I think it's unfortunate to indulge in the lowbrow humor...but I'll just give the benefit of the doubt to it being the sort of dark humor that helps us keep sane.

I'm not ready to believe that our folks are so ready and willing to throw due process on the bonfire.

(That said, I might be a little nervous having some of the patrons as my jurors.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Please show any post that I made that suggests or implies that anyone should be denied legal protections or due process.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post

I'll take schadenfreude for $500.

If this had happened with Keanu Reeves or Tom Hanks, you would not see this type of reaction because both of those actors have reputations as being very nice people. While Tom Hanks is decidedly on the left and in favor of gun control, he doesn't make his politics a big issue, and doesn't go on a flaming leftist rampage the way Baldwin does on Twitter and in real life. It's not just a matter of different politics but Baldwin genuinely hates gun owners and Republicans and would like to see them die. So don't expect us to say, "oh, poor you," when something like this happens to him. I don't think anyone doesn't regard the death and wounding to be a tragedy.

In looking at people's reaction to Baldwin, I think it important to point out that given his attitude behavior and actions, Alec Baldwin is possibly the most parodyable person in Hollywood as evidenced below in Team America World Police. His attitude and behavior have almost made him a cultural icon.

Next, some of the scenes, stills and lines from the movie Glengary Glenn Ross were tailor made to be adopted to meme,s as was the dialog with a few changes as I did in previous posts.

Now, as to Alec Baldwin as a person. He is a bloviating, hatefull, pompous, hothead who is notorious for his nasty tweets--many of which came back to bite him in the butt in this situation, as well as his rabid leftist attacks over twitter. He has pretty much said that he wished gun owners and republicans would die and that he doesn't believe in the Second Amendment. He rejoiced and joked about other people's misfortunes with firearms, such as Dick Cheney's hunting accident and a situation where Baldwin claimed a cop shot someone by accident and sarcastically wondered what would be like to kill someone by accident. Here is a link to information on the actual shooting which Baldwin incorrectly labeled as an accidental shooting: https://www.latimes.com/socal/daily-...ss-man-in-2017

Here are the tweets which which turned out to be ironic and foreshadowing and make him far less sympathetic:

Name:  alec baldwin - Copy.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  40.9 KB

Name:  Liz Cheny - Copy.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  30.5 KB

Name:  protect wildlife - Copy.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  19.1 KB

These are just scraping the surface of his nasty tweets.

Baldwin is known for his explosive temper, including things like punching a guy in the face over a parking space and leaving a long nasty, abusive message on the answering machine of his then 11 or 12-year-old daughter. Here is the recording of the nasty message that Baldwin left that highlights those aspects of his personality that got him labeled one of the top Hollywood hotheads:

Bottom line: I think everyone considers this incident a tragedy. However, given the person and the factors surrounding him, it's easy to see why Alec Baldwin gets this response.

I think Alec Baldwin would be a perfect villain in a James Bond film. He would have a nerve gas that if released would make everyone exposed act like Alec Baldwin.
    Last edited by Ed L; 11-04-2021 at 01:51 AM.

The armorer has released some more statements through her attorneys with more description of the situation that led up to the shooting and her rationale for why she's not responsible.

According the armorer, Hannah Gutierrez Reed, she loaded the gun with what she believed to be dummy rounds from a box of dummy rounds. If that was the case it is still her responsibility to inspect every round of dummy ammunition to make sure that it was indeed a dummy round. Dummy ammo set up for filming typically has a fake primer and a real bullet with no powder in the case. The empty case has a birdshot or BB where the powder should be it so that someone can pick it up and shake it and feel the rattle of the birdshot or BB. But externally the dummy round appears real so it can be filmed either laying around were in the cylinder of a revolver with the bullet facing out.

The armorer claims that she doesn't know where the live round came from. She also denies that the guns from the film were ever used with live rounds for plinking.

There was a timeframe between 11 AM and 1 PM when the guns were unattended. This contradicts something that Hannah Gutierrez-Reed's other Attorney said, "that while the guns were all “locked in a safe,” the prop ammo was in a truck that was “completely unattended at all times.” This was listed in article but it contradicts other information that suggests that three guns were on a table unattended.

The armorer was not present at the set at the time of the shooting. Flock this is hurting my Henrico

The armorer was also the key props assistant on the film. The Armor's lawyer blamed the movie bosses for making the armorer, Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, work “two roles on that film set.” “She was only being paid for an armorer part-time — essentially she was doing two roles,” he said, adding that Gutierrez-Reed was carrying out her “other duties as key props assistant” just before the deadly shooting."

Unattended dummy ammo and blanks seems like an obvious failure point.

Her lawyers have introduced the possibility that a disgruntled person, possibly someone who worked on the set and left, deliberately introduced a live round to the dummy ammo. (It could have also been someone from Qanon, possibly Donald Trump's former fixer Michael Cohen, or even Roy Cohn who Qanon probably believes is not really dead).

In reading over this thing it seems like there was a load of failure to go around on every level — from producers and executives who try to cut corners and expenses, to an inexperienced part-time armorer who had proven to be grossly incapable and incompetent in her one previous job. They needed a competent full-time armorer.

Below are some excerpts from https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/03/enter...ety/index.html

and: https://nypost.com/2021/11/03/hannah...sabotaged-set/

"The "Rust" armorer, Hannah Gutierrez Reed, loaded the gun with what she thought were dummy rounds before Alec Baldwin used it on set, fatally shooting the movie's cinematographer, lawyers for the armorer said in an interview with NBC that aired Wednesday.

"There was a box of dummy rounds and the box is labeled dummy. Hannah did take from that box which she by all accounts should have been able to rely on, that contains only dummy rounds," said Gutierrez Reed's lawyer Jason Bowles. "She loaded rounds from that box into the handgun only to later find out -- and she had no idea -- she inspected the rounds, that there was a live round. Now we don't know, however, whether that live round came from that box. We're assuming it did. We're assuming somebody put the live round in that box, which if you think about that, the person who put the live round in the box of dummy rounds had to have the purpose of sabotaging this set. There's no other reason you would do that."

We have a timeframe between 11 and one approximately that day in which the firearms at times were unattended. So there was opportunity to tamper with this scene."
    Another lawyer for Gutierrez Reed, Robert Gorence, said the prop truck "was completely unattended at all times," leaving "access and opportunity" to access the ammunition.
    "The tray was outside the church for over two hours unattended after she had prepped that for what was going to be an afternoon filming session outside of the church," Gorence told NBC.
    Her lawyers said that Gutierrez Reed was not in the church at the time of the shooting because the gathering was just supposed to be technical preparation, which would not require her presence.
    Gutierrez Reed was the armorer as well as key props assistant on the film. She handed the weapon discharged by Baldwin to assistant director David Halls, according to her attorneys."

User Tag List