Page 13 of 60 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Alec Baldwin kills crew member on set with "prop gun"

Aesop has a way with words:

http://raconteurreport.blogspot.com/...e-got-hat.html

I told you that to tell you this:

Option I:

You're Michael Mann. You've got a 150-person crew on union rates. You've got 200 extras. Including 50 cop extras with working firearms props. Some of them are stuntmen. You've got seven cameras with full crews, and a 20-man special effects and pyrotechnician crew. You're going to be blowing out building windows, car windows, blowing out tires on police cars, you've got stunt drivers, 20 guys from LAPD on double holiday overtime to lock up traffic from four main streets, in downtown, on a weekend, and the sun is moving across the sky at 15° an hour no matter what you do. And no matter what, you're literally setting $500K/day on fire, whether you get the scene or not, before you think about location rentals, caterers, parking, and 300 other things. And suddenly, your ten lead actors all decide they're going to double-double check their weapons, because some Good Idea Fairies on the internet thought that was a cunning plan. Three of your guys, with no expertise, after the weapons were loaded and prepped by a team of the top weapons experts in Hollywood, which is to say, in the world, had them ready to rock, but your hamfisted actors managed to short-stroke a couple, and they jam; one guys' doesn't fire at all, because he can't get it back into battery. And by the time you've got your 200-piece orchestra all ready to try Take 2, you've just burned through an hour, plus 10% of your weapons budget for ammunition, glass, tires, and other special effects. And the Good Idea Fairy has become the Fuck-Up Fairy, and it's sitting on your face, and shitting right in your mouth. And this time, half the extras who're cops decide they should check THEIR weapons too. Now you're up to Take 3, and you're seriously wondering if it wouldn't be cheaper to hire retards for the extras, and just hand out live rounds to the principal actors, and get the whole scene in one take. By Take 4, you're spinning a revolver with 5 loaded bullets, and one empty cylinder, and you're ready to squeeze the trigger.

"To achieve any significant technological breakthrough, much Derp must be endured." -Rich@CCC
    "Your shotgun is running a bit frenetic, you should add some lavender to your lubricant, that should calm it down." -Aray, Oils and Lotions SME

Quote Originally Posted by nycnoob View Post
    That sir, was a damn fine article.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    "The “inexperienced” armorer in charge of weapons on set of Alec Baldwin’s movie “Rust” had given a gun to an 11-year-old actress without checking properly for safety, a report said."

And downhill from there.

https://nypost.com/2021/10/23/rust-a...o-child-actor/

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Yeah, reading that brought back some memories.

The movie industry came to NC in force back in late high school/early college for me. I agreed to do an EMS standby for one of the Steven King movies they were making. First hour was OK, by the third hour I was ready to cut out my eyes and jump in the ocean. And I had signed up for a 12 hour shift! Was offered several more opportunities and declined them all.

Fast forward to my 40's and they are filming in my small hometown. The director is staying at a B&B run by my mother, so she gets him to let me hang out with him one afternoon and sit next to his big chair.

I watched them film one scene where a guy walks out his front door, crosses his porch, then descends the front steps and gets into his car. 10-15 secs max, maybe less.

It took all afternoon to film that one little insignificant scene!!!!
    Last edited by ccmdfd; 10-23-2021 at 10:00 PM.

Indeed.

As to Hannah, the 24-year old armorerdomme, she may be a right up tart, but my spidey sense is telling me that there is a bus, engine already warm, with reserved space for her under it. Just saying. I don’t trust *any* media report farther than I could stick it in my own butt and fart it across the room. If this is truly all on her, then so be it; all her 3 little piggies can foot the bill, I suppose. But I still have a hunch that there is more negligence to go all around on this. Time will promote or expose all—at least I hope that to be the case.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Yes it was! And the very first comment after that lengthy and detailed explanation about why it’s done this way says the actor still should’ve checked it.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

The white on black expert genius threw it all away when he illustrated an engraved cap and ball Colt as THE GUN.

Same as any other gun or other technical field I see depicted wrongly, one bad apple destroys his credibility.

I doubt we could get a different actor to say whether he checks to see that the prop department's gun is really empty for rehearsal or loaded only with blanks for filming. Maybe Keanu Reeves?
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Yeah, reading that brought back some memories.

The movie industry came to NC in force back in late high school/early college for me. I agreed to do an EMS standby for one of the Steven King movies they were making. First hour was OK, by the third hour I was ready to cut out my eyes and jump in the ocean. And I had signed up for a 12 hour shift! Was offered several more opportunities and declined them all.

Fast forward to my 40's and they are filming in my small hometown. The director is staying at a B&B run by my mother, so she gets him to let me hang out with him one afternoon and sit next to his big chair.

I watched them film one scene where a guy walks out his front door, crosses his porch, then descends the front steps and gets into his car. 10-15 secs max, maybe less.

It took all afternoon to film that one little insignificant scene!!!!
    Truth. My experience was one day on the Road to Perdition production, far enough away that I didn’t even get to see anything.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

James Cameron's heart is beating, it's time for the big action sequence in Terminator 2. It's the biggest moment of his life. Years of planning, getting financing and sleepless nights have gotten him to this moment. Just as he's about to yell action-
    Arnold Schwarzenegger's Austrian voice rings out
    "STAHP!"
    He raises his hands for emphasis. Dozens of people freeze as they watch to see what he'll do next. Arnie is a big guy.
    "I NEED TO MAEK SURE MAI WEAPON IZ SAFE"
    Arnold proceeds to sit down in a criss cross on the floor. He sets down his prop minigun and removes the 1000 round bandolier. He begins to inspect each round
    "WAN"
    "TWOOO"
    "THREEE"
    James Cameron can't even believe what he's looking at. He's frozen in shock for a few moments. By the time Arnold is at FEEFTEEN he speaks up through his megaphone
    "Arnie! You don't have to worry about that, Arnie! We've gotten all of the weapons inspected by the on set armorer!"
    "I'M AFRAID I MUST DOO THIS JIMMY, ZEE INTERNETS SAYS IT'S THE OWNLEE WEY TO BE SAFE!"
    The room freezes again, nobody is sure what to do. Arnold starts again.
    "SIXTEEN"
    "SEVENTEEN"
    James Cameron speaks up again.
    "Arnie! We've got to get the shot! If we fuck up here our whole schedule is thrown off"
    "IT IZ WON OF THE FOAH ROOLS OF GUN SAFTEYZ! NOW YOU MADE ME LOSE COUNT I HAVE TO STAHRT OVAH!"
    "WAN"
    "TWOOO"
    "THREEE"

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Indeed.

As to Hannah, the 24-year old armorerdomme, she may be a right up tart, but my spidey sense is telling me that there is a bus, engine already warm, with reserved space for her under it. Just saying. I don’t trust *any* media report farther than I could stick it in my own butt and fart it across the room. If this is truly all on her, then so be it; all her 3 little piggies can foot the bill, I suppose. But I still have a hunch that there is more negligence to go all around on this. Time will promote or expose all—at least I hope that to be the case.
    She is broke (no blood to squeeze from that stone) and there seems to be significant evidence (her own admission, even) that she is not competent. The civil suits will go after the production company that hired her, using terms like "negligent entrustment."
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List