Page 11 of 60 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Alec Baldwin kills crew member on set with "prop gun"

Quote Originally Posted by sickeness View Post
    This is the on-set armorer who was in charge at the time.

Attachment 78885
    Great. I just can't get over my awesome self.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    They walked out because they didn't like driving an hour to Albuquerque and they refused to stay in the offered Santa Fe motel because it had been previously used to shelter the homeless. It was only after the killing that one person claimed a gun went off twice when someone was holding it in a cabin a few days prior.

Even accepting that one source's claim as true (how does a Colt SAA "accidentally" fire twice?), that level of negligence is still a world away from someone bringing a live round to the set and loading it into the pistol.

The person pulling the trigger has to be one of the people whose job it is to confirm safety.
    Safety is everyone's job. People died on jobs I was working on because somebody had their head up their ass.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Possibly a stupid question, but is there a good reason there should have been any live ammunition on a movie set? I'm just not seeing a scenario where there would be a legitimate reason to have that. I have no background in film making so maybe there is something I'm missing.

Quote Originally Posted by VT1032 View Post
    Possibly a stupid question, but is there a good reason there should have been any live ammunition on a movie set? I'm just not seeing a scenario where there would be a legitimate reason to have that. I have no background in film making so maybe there is something I'm missing.
    Schneider “Bo Duke” offers a seemingly informed opinion, below.

Quote Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post
    "There is no reason whatsoever for an actual bullet to be in a real gun on a movie set."

Actor
    @John_Schneider
    reacts to Alec Baldwin's fatal prop-gun shooting and explains the procedure to handling weapons on movie sets on Saturday's "Wake Up America Weekend."

https://twitter.com/newsmax/status/1...widget%3DTweet
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

It reminds me of some of the NDs that happen at Real Gun Big Boy Rules Fantasy Camps, or when someone forgets to swap for a sim/ airsoft during FOF, or even the unexpected loud noise with bonus unwanted hole pre-cleaning or post-dryfire. Someone got complacent, and skipped a lot of rules.

And say what you will about Hollywood, their safety record is actually pretty good where gun safety is concerned.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Yes, when you consider the huge numbers of western, war, and cop movies, casualties are rare.
    Big studio safety measures are extensive.

But this was a low budget production with marginal crew, labor disputes, arrogant star, etc. etc.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by sickeness View Post
    This is the on-set armorer who was in charge at the time.

Attachment 78885
    Dad must be very proud.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    Dad must be very proud.
    Maybe Tarran needs a new Precious?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Even if what you say about the crew is true (and I’ve seen no evidence supporting it) it’s irrelevant to your hypothesis that a Union crew member committed manslaughter by intentionally putting a live round in a prop gun. Not only is there no evidence to support it but the facts available contradict it. No basis is other than your anti union prejudice.

Regarding your response to RR:

You are thinking like a shooter /gun owner. Actors are not us and don’t think like us. Read the industry standards for prop guns previously posted and linked. The actor is not part of the safety process in that world.
    Even if it isn't standard industry practice (stupidly), I still cannot fathom the crew, including the actor, not checking and rechecking a gun after it had supposedly "accidentally" fired live rounds 3 times before. It seems much more likely that those incidents were either fabricated after the fact or involved horseplay with blanks from unprofessional/incompetent staff.

Quote Originally Posted by nycnoob View Post
    I saw a youtube video a while ago, for one movie they made three daggers. One sharp (because nothing else looks real on HD) and one rubber for "fighting" and one with a retractable blade. When they they went to do some stabbing scene, the prop-master gave the actor the wrong blade and he really stabbed his fellow actor in the bicep. Evidently they liked that particular take and used it in the final film.

Also I remember Adam Savage visiting the prop maker shop for BladeRunner 2049. They did mention that when they make props like the knife set mentioned above. They also made a hard pelican type case with cut out foam insert to hold the knives. This way it was easy for the prop master to ensure that all the knives were put away, or the correct one was in use, with just a glance at the case foam. I thought it was interesting that the storage case was actually part of the safety processes, and this company always included one with knife orders.
    Back in the bronze age when I was a long haired thespian, I was also a fight director. I remember working Romeo & Juliet with the KCMO Repertory Theatre. We were doing a summer of Shakespeare. During the first table read (beginning of the rehearsal process) the director asked me, "you're a sword collector, can we use some of your collection?" I had to point out everything I owned was real and far from a prop. It took a surprising amount of discussion to convince him why that wasn't a good idea.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List