Page 8 of 60 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: Alec Baldwin kills crew member on set with "prop gun"

This movie had already had two previous NDs. There should have been a firearms safety standown.

Goddamn, this burns me. Completely avoidable loss of life.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    "Ignore this Thread" in the "thread Tools" menu is your friend.
    I use it far more than you might imagine...but I'm still hoping for some enlightenment in this one when the dust settles.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Here's my take as both a movie buff and a nascent codger w a bit of experience investigating real world mortal violence.

Try Googling Alex Baldwin acts of violence, fights, assaults history...

I don't need to because recall reading and viewing many fights, harassment of strangers, service industry people and family members and women he "loved" over the past two-plus decades.

Then there's possible motive:

Baldwin, noted violent angry monkey, is a principal producer of the film and was cutting corners which drew dissent by the cinematographer and director whom feared bad things could happen.

Only the people on the set know what kind of real life fractious interpersonal discord was occurring when the shot rang.

It'd be a dream come true if a crew member was recording the event with their phone, or maux bettah, cinema cameras were rolling.

Not saying it was intentional, but perhaps he thought a blank round would be a great exclamation mark...
    Last edited by coldcase1984; 10-23-2021 at 09:24 AM.
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2021...7931634993645/

An assistant director on the film Rust said that the gun that killed a cinematographer and injured a director on the New Mexico set was unloaded before he handed it to actor Alec Baldwin, a police affidavit indicates.

The court document, filed by the Santa Fe County Sheriff's Office on Friday, said the assistant director, David Halls, took the prop gun, a pistol, from a gray cart and gave it to Baldwin. He shouted out "cold gun" as he did so, indicating the pistol didn't contain any live rounds.
    #RESIST

As usual, the English press is on top of a US news item.
    Lots of information some of which might even be right.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...dwin-film.html
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2021...7931634993645/
    An assistant director on the film Rust said that the gun that killed a cinematographer and injured a director on the New Mexico set was unloaded before he handed it to actor Alec Baldwin, a police affidavit indicates.

The court document, filed by the Santa Fe County Sheriff's Office on Friday, said the assistant director, David Halls, took the prop gun, a pistol, from a gray cart and gave it to Baldwin. He shouted out "cold gun" as he did so, indicating the pistol didn't contain any live rounds.
    Well, take all that with a grain of salt.

As friend of mine often says, when teaching gun safety, "Many accidental discharges are proceed with some variation of "don't worry it's not loaded," or followed by some variation of, "I swear I thought it wasn't loaded.

Halls' statement, along with Baldwin's, appear to fit that pattern. Further, I'd be shocked to find anyone involved who was going to admit they knew the firearm was loaded with live ammunition.
    Last edited by DMF13; 10-23-2021 at 10:03 AM.

The NY Post discusses Coopers 4 rules of firearms saftey

https://nypost.com/2021/10/23/baldwi...eapons-expert/
    "To achieve any significant technological breakthrough, much Derp must be endured." -Rich@CCC
    "Your shotgun is running a bit frenetic, you should add some lavender to your lubricant, that should calm it down." -Aray, Oils and Lotions SME

Quote Originally Posted by Cacafuego View Post
    Why in the world would there be sharp swords on a set? Real steel I can understand, I guess, but why sharp?
    Years ago I had an opportunity to examine the hero versions of the two main swords used in Conan the Barbarian. At the time I noted that both swords were sharp. I asked Jody Samson, the maker, the same question. He told me that, if a director is very detail oriented, as CtB director John Milius and LotR director Peter Jackson both are, they'll want a sharp version of the sword made for extreme close-ups. They aren't used for any action sequences, but only for shots where the actor is holding the sword up against their face, etc. Smart or not, it is what it is.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 10-23-2021 at 10:12 AM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    But that is their everyday experience at work. Many workplaces have norms that are not the same as “normal” life.

A lot of folks here are comfortable with real weapons and live ammunition and gunfire, and are wary of activities involving replica weapons or simulated gunfire. From an outside perspective, that’s also a bit odd. ;-)
    I never used the term "normal", you did in your post-modernist leap of defense. If you'd ever worked around actors, as I have, you'd understand these are the same people who have trouble realizing a camp fire on a movie set is actual fire. This goes beyond a discussion of simple work place familiarity.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    He told me that, if a director is very detail oriented, as CtB director John Milius and LotR director Peter Jackson both are, they'll want a sharp version of the sword made for extreme close-ups.
    I saw a youtube video a while ago, for one movie they made three daggers. One sharp (because nothing else looks real on HD) and one rubber for "fighting" and one with a retractable blade. When they they went to do some stabbing scene, the prop-master gave the actor the wrong blade and he really stabbed his fellow actor in the bicep. Evidently they liked that particular take and used it in the final film.

Also I remember Adam Savage visiting the prop maker shop for BladeRunner 2049. They did mention that when they make props like the knife set mentioned above. They also made a hard pelican type case with cut out foam insert to hold the knives. This way it was easy for the prop master to ensure that all the knives were put away, or the correct one was in use, with just a glance at the case foam. I thought it was interesting that the storage case was actually part of the safety processes, and this company always included one with knife orders.
    Last edited by nycnoob; 10-23-2021 at 10:22 AM.
    "To achieve any significant technological breakthrough, much Derp must be endured." -Rich@CCC
    "Your shotgun is running a bit frenetic, you should add some lavender to your lubricant, that should calm it down." -Aray, Oils and Lotions SME

User Tag List