Page 4 of 60 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Alec Baldwin kills crew member on set with "prop gun"

Sounds to me like @okie john pretty much nailed it.

https://www.showbiz411.com/2021/10/2...h-both-victims

"An eyewitness on set tells this column that the bullet went straight through the body of DP Halyna Hutchins and into the clavicle of the film’s director Joel Souza."

What if he was shooting a rifle fer crissakes. Even a true .45 LC.

I feel sorry for all for all involved. RIP
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Maybe at Landing There level of reporting from the Board That Everybody Likes to Make Fun Of (Norton, Standing There, Landing There, Rumor Range), but it was said that this low budget <$6 MM film only had one prop man who liked to shoot the prop guns in his spare time.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

A tier 1 relatively low budget film . . .

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/new...ing/ar-AAPQj5V

"The cinematographer who was accidentally killed, Halyna Hutchins, had been advocating for safer conditions for her team, said one crew member who was on the set."

"Corners were being cut — and they brought in nonunion people so they could continue shooting," the knowledgeable person said.

There were two misfires on the prop gun on Saturday and one the previous week, the person said, adding "there was a serious lack of safety meetings on this set."
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Maybe at Landing There level of reporting from the Board That Everybody Likes to Make Fun Of (Norton, Standing There, Landing There, Rumor Range), but it was said that this low budget <$6 MM film only had one prop man who liked to shoot the prop guns in his spare time.
    Holy shit. Sounds like . . . not IS, just sounds like that LE/citizens awareness class where the person (woman) got shot and killed during a demo.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    There were two misfires on the prop gun
    Note, "misfire" is media speak for accidental or negligent discharge; just the opposite of We Enthusasts using the term only for a failure to fire when wanted.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

This is terrible, especially if it turns out that Baldwin and the other victims were betrayed by their trust in someone who was presumed to be a professional: the prop person.

But however Baldwin responds to this life-altering event, whether to assuage his guilty conscience or repair his reputation or to genuinely promote a better safety culture in his profession, I expect he’ll claim a misplaced kind of “it happened to me!” expertise on the subject of the tragic dangers of guns in the wrong hands, with a healthy dose of “if even a trained professional can make such a mistake, imagine how dangerous the simple civilian must be”.

I'm wondering if Baldwin had taken the time to get some training he might have checked the ammo for himself. I don't know if I could fire a round at someone without checking the ammo first, or possibly using ammo that I knew were blanks. I'd be very careful about what ammo went into a gun I was using on a set. That seems pretty brain dead to me. I think Baldwin shares some responsibility for that accident. I hope he realizes that. Best know the ins and outs of a table saw before you use one.
    Last edited by Borderland; 10-22-2021 at 06:37 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I'm wondering if Baldwin had taken the time to get some training he might have checked the ammo for himself. I don't know if I could fire a round at someone without checking the ammo first, or possibly using ammo that I knew were blanks. I'd be very careful about what ammo went into a gun I was using on a set. That seems pretty brain dead to me. I think Baldwin shares some responsibility for that accident. I hope he realizes that.
    FFS...

...I would've, he should've, maybe this, perhaps that.

Some of the replies in this thread make a tragic event even sadder.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    FFS...

...I would've, he should've, maybe this, perhaps that.

Some of the replies in this thread make a tragic event even sadder.
    A tragic event that could have been avoided. Safety first. Never hurts to point out how it could have been avoided.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I'm wondering if Baldwin had taken the time to get some training he might have checked the ammo for himself. I don't know if I could fire a round at someone without checking the ammo first, or possibly using ammo that I knew were blanks. I'd be very careful about what ammo went into a gun I was using on a set. That seems pretty brain dead to me. I think Baldwin shares some responsibility for that accident. I hope he realizes that. Best know the ins and outs of a table saw before you use one.
    My shallow understanding from an acquaintance that occasionally works as an on-set union electrician - when the weapons master hands you the prop, you don’t mess with it because it has been set up. You can ask to have proper loading demonstrated, but just cracking the action open to look will get you chewed out. Somebody of Baldwin’s status could probably have pressed the issue, but it wouldn’t be normal.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List