Page 21 of 59 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Alec Baldwin kills crew member on set with "prop gun"

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Simple mistake but damn, how do you not notice it when you unloaded the dummy rounds out of the revolver one of the bullets was missing from one of the rounds and they didn’t even bother to see where that round was at whether it came out of the barrel or if it was stuck in the barrel before it loaded it with the blanks?
    Could be a frazzled prop person thinking something like …”Damn. Someone must have dropped this one and knocked the bullet loose and didn’t say anything. If I have time I’ll try to figure out where these came from and see if they can crimp them tighter. Good thing we’ve got more. What’s he yelling about now?….”

Humans get tired, get pressured, and make mistakes. Ideally you have a system in place that requires more than one mistake to cause a problem. The Brandon Lee death did cause changes in the standard practices for handling firearms on sets.

As someone mentioned, if you look at the amount of firearm use in entertainment vs. the accident rate, the current procedures do seem to work well when followed.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Could be a frazzled prop person thinking something like …”Damn. Someone must have dropped this one and knocked the bullet loose and didn’t say anything. If I have time I’ll try to figure out where these came from and see if they can crimp them tighter. Good thing we’ve got more. What’s he yelling about now?….”

Humans get tired, get pressured, and make mistakes. Ideally you have a system in place that requires more than one mistake to cause a problem. The Brandon Lee death did cause changes in the standard practices for handling firearms on sets.

As someone mentioned, if you look at the amount of firearm use in entertainment vs. the accident rate, the current procedures do seem to work well when followed.
    Oh yeah, even if that was the case just like you said in your first paragraph up there, it still shouldn’t take much in the name of safety to at least look down the barrel to see if you can see daylight on the dangerous end or at least take a straw or something and poke down the barrel to make sure the other end of it comes out where the cylinder is just to make sure there’s not anything stuck in there before you load it with blanks and essentially wind up with a gun that might as well have a live round loaded in it. When practically real guns are being used by the actors acting out their scenes , those people they hire to make sure the guns are safe should be held accountable when those procedures aren’t followed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post

Been watching some later seasons of Walking Dead on Netflix. I am a nobody but I feel like every gun shot is CGI into the production. I am impressed with all the extras and trigger discipline, main actors not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    What I’m curious about is why was there even any live rounds on that set to begin with? That’s what I read, was the gun had actual live rounds in it.

You could say the same thing about dryfire practice, force on force training, handling of firearms in a classroom situation, etc. Not supposed to happen but there are cases where it has. Some people are professional enough, some are not professional enough and not everyone is as professional enough as they think they are.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    You could say the same thing about dryfire practice, force on force training, handling of firearms in a classroom situation, etc. Not supposed to happen but there are cases where it has. Some people are professional enough, some are not professional enough and not everyone is as professional enough as they think they are.
    True, but when it comes to that one special person’s job to make sure that the “cold” gun he hands the actors, it’s his duty and his responsibility to check, double check and recheck that nothing is going to come out of that barrel and kill somebody.

If the reports are right, the live rounds are because crew members were using what were supposed to be prop weapons for live fire. Which is a big no-no.

The people on set also neglected a lot of standard safety precautions.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I started following a film armorer on instagram a few month a back. They were the group that got an Aridus outfitted 1301 onto the big screen (homescreen?) with The Tomorrow War.

They posted a link to this statement from a group of film armorers and weapons masters.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WmV...CLv_tI5Lk/view

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    I started following a film armorer on instagram a few month a back. They were the group that got an Aridus outfitted 1301 onto the big screen (homescreen?) with The Tomorrow War.

They posted a link to this statement from a group of film armorers and weapons masters.

That was a well-written statement.
    Thanks for sharing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post

A single project’s refusal to recognize established safety protocols compounded by that
    project’s failure to utilize well trained professionals should not require changing the
    entire movie industry.
    I feel like I've heard that before.

Student
    (Fox News)
    Alec Baldwin's 'Rust' movie shooting: Criminal charges 'on the table,' district attorney says

The accidental shooting on the set of the upcoming western film "Rust" could result in criminal charges, according to a district attorney.

Mary Carmack-Altwies of New Mexico's first district told the New York Times that they "haven’t ruled out anything" when it comes to the future of the case.
    ---
    "Everything at this point, including criminal charges, is on the table," Carmack-Altwies told the Times.
    ---
    "There were an enormous amount of bullets on this set, and we need to find out what kinds they were," she explained. A warrant obtained by Fox News on Tuesday revealed that authorities collected ammunition and multiple firearms from the set amid their investigation – though the inventory did not specify the type of ammunition found.

In the days since the incident, the firearm that was discharged has been referred to as a prop gun, but Carmack-Altwies took issue with the term.

"It was a legit gun," she said, though did not mention a specific kind. "It was an antique-era appropriate gun."
    ---
    "It’s probably weeks, if not months, of follow-up investigation that we’re going to need to get to the point of charging," she added.

Similarly, Fox News was recently told by the Sante Fe Medical Examiner & Coroner that the Hutchins' autopsy could take "six to 10 weeks" or more.

Carmack-Altwies told the Times that she was unaware of reports that have circulated indicating that crew members used the weapons for leisure shooting in the hours before the incident, calling such reports "unconfirmed."
    ---

User Tag List