Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MGW Universal Sight Installer, Worth It?

MGW Universal Sight Installer, Worth It?

I have been contemplating purchasing one of these, to better enable me to avoid having to take my guns to a smith just for simple sight swaps.
    Do they actually work as advertised? While I dont plan of changing things out constantly, I keep coming around to the thought that having the ability to do more things myself probably isn't a bad thing.

Absolutely worth it.

The Glock one has saved me a lot of hassle on installations, plus time and ammo when zeroing. Center (roughly) the sights on the slide, make a witness mark with a pencil, then go from there.

Key piece of gear.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    I have been contemplating purchasing one of these, to better enable me to avoid having to take my guns to a smith just for simple sight swaps.
    Do they actually work as advertised? While I dont plan of changing things out constantly, I keep coming around to the thought that having the ability to do more things myself probably isn't a bad thing.
    Yes. Worth it. I should start charging a fee for using mine.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Yes and No.

Let me explain. First, the old ones (not the universal, of course), that were one gun only, were about $60, and with how hard some guns were to do (PX4), I found it better to go to the gunsmith.

Now, look at what guns you have, and are considering buying. I say that because the universal one does more (1911's from memory), verses the Rangemaster, but what are your needs?

For the guns I have and planned on having in the immediate future, I found the Rangemaster on sale at one point for a dollar more then the Wheeler. ($129 verses $128 that I know a few people using) The Rangemaster was worth it to me. There is one video on Youtube, where the person bought the full size upper for his Rangemaster, but left no number or price. Eventually I may contact MGW to ask about that.

Yes.

1970s bought a 1911 front sight staking tool.

1993, bought both size , (9mm frame , .45 frame) Glock Sight Tools at class.

Bought MGW USP tool and had a part machined for not standard sights.

Bought the MGW Universal when it came out. It works on more sight heights than the MGW USP tool. Best Sight tool so far.

I do not like using impact on tritium sights.

So the rangemaster is cheaper, but might not work for front sights on some pistols, and either way you need specific blocks for specific models of handgun.
    Another question, would either work on the front sight dovetails of the 92x series?
    And is the full size M&P 45 one of the guns that the front sight is to far forward for the rangmaster?

I bought one but only used it a few times. I could have saved myself some money if I had bought it 10 years ago. I've destroyed a few sights by not having the proper tool to remove and install. It's a gun smiths tool and it works. I don't know for sure if it can work on everything that's out there but the design of the larger one is quite versatile. Highly recommended, but then I'm a tool junky.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    So the rangemaster is cheaper, but might not work for front sights on some pistols, and either way you need specific blocks for specific models of handgun.
    Another question, would either work on the front sight dovetails of the 92x series?
    And is the full size M&P 45 one of the guns that the front sight is to far forward for the rangmaster?

I will have to look at my Rangemaster and my Vertec slides tomorrow. (have to work half a day)
    As for the M&P, they talk about what to look for starting around 55 seconds (length of the underlug, that allows the slide to go back. I don't know what the full size M&P is, or how long is the underlug.

Site Supporter
    My universal tool has more than paid for itself at this point. I typed calmly get about 5 years out of the best tritium sights before I replace them, I have had strange results from one gunsmith I had install a sight previously, and I can avoid that problem by doing it myself.

I would not use this tool for an adjustable sight. The tool will not adjust low enough to push on the dovetail portion of the sight.

I have had a couple of really, really tight fitting dovetails that were beyond the abilities to this tool. I also do not like to use impact on tritium sights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List