Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: We still hate Kimber 1911s, right?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    If you want a bob tail 1911 I would look at Dan Wesson.
    Yes, resoundingly! The answer to most 1911 inquiries is: get a Dan Wesson.

I wanted a Lightweight Commander and at the time DW's closest offering was the Bobtail Guardian. I did not want a Bobtail. I contacted Keith at DW. Keith told me the Custom Shop could build exactly what I wanted. Going forward Keith requested all communications be via email so everything was on record. I specified exactly what I wanted. The parts Keith didn't have I had dropped shipped to DW to Keith's attention from Brownell's.

It was almost exactly six weeks later Keith emailed and said the gun was ready, send payment. I don't recall having to send a deposit.

It has been flawless.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Yes, resoundingly! The answer to most 1911 inquiries is: get a Dan Wesson.

I wanted a Lightweight Commander and at the time DW's closest offering was the Bobtail Guardian. I did not want a Bobtail. I contacted Keith at DW. Keith told me the Custom Shop could build exactly what I wanted. Going forward Keith requested all communications be via email so everything was on record. I specified exactly what I wanted. The parts Keith didn't have I had dropped shipped to DW to Keith's attention from Brownell's.

It was almost exactly six weeks later Keith emailed and said the gun was ready, send payment. I don't recall having to send a deposit.

It has been flawless.

Not surprising. I love my DW. I grew up nearby, and learned that one of my wife's childhood friends works there now. So that's cool.

For me, Kimbers are the equivilent of a Taurus. It's in 1911 form, and looks great though. Both companies have done great things for the gun industry... but I'm not looking to own either.

Site Supporter
    In a surprise to both myself and others, my experience with Kimber is far better than my experience with Colt.

By several orders of magnitude.

Both required work to get running. The Colt was more expensive to buy and required the more expensive repairs and still doesn't shoot as well.

Just my experience. I forgo most of the drama by recommending Springfield or Dan Wesson

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I own two, both 5” .45s. I’ve got them running fine, but it took some work, especially tuning the Swartz safety in both of them. It’s a bit of a pain, really, especially if you’re also tuning the grip safety at the same time. One is a TMII with what’s considered the best version of their external extractor, and it passes the 10-8 extractor test with absolutely flying colors… after putting an extra power Wolff extractor spring behind it. I’m also planning on preemptively replacing small parts (some have gone or are going based on taste anyway) or being prepared to replace broken ones. I’m happy because these are guns my dad bought when I was in high school and let me have after college, and I like tinkering with things.

Starting new I’d definitely go with something else.

I still hate Kimber.
    #RESIST

I still hate 1911s.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I still hate 1911s.
    Blasphemer!

Name:  1911vglock.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  94.1 KB

Because this never gets old

Site Supporter
    5 inch, all steel, Kimber Series I (non external extractor/non Schwartz guns) were solid guns based on owning two and personally seeing 20-30+ guns in play. Indeed, Kimber may have peaked with the Warrior line in the Early 2000s (Series 1, night sights, a Rail, grips/stocks that gave some traction.)

Very soon thereafter, quality has slide to that point that in the sub 1500 space, I would go Springfield Armory and in the sub 2500 space, Dan Wesson. If was going to spend 2501+, I suspect I would stretch to a Wilson Combat or perhaps something else a bit more boutique.

In short, absent a pre 2004 ish all steel, 5 inch Series I Kimber ( with the possible exception of a Series I, 5 inch lightweight CDP), "we" still hate Kimber.

FWIW/YMMV Greatly
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Example of one: I got a Kimber Classic Gold Match for my 45th birthday, which would have been 22 years ago. I was still shooting bullseye at the time and the first three rounds out of the pistol clover-leafed @ 25 yards. It still shoots better than I do. Not in love with the Swartz firing pin safety system, but I've never have a click when it should have gone bang, and since I don't remind dropping the pistol to otherwise test the thing, I assume it works.

It's probably had 6,000 or 7,000 through it and is still more accurate than I am.

Aside from recoil springs, the only thing I've replaced is the ambi-safety, it broke about two years ago.

Don't know that I'd buy another, but this one has been a keeper.

It definitely is not my primary shooter.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

User Tag List