Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M66-8 2.75" or M19 Carry Comp 3"

Site Supporter

M66-8 2.75" or M19 Carry Comp 3"

I'd like to add a 3"ish K-Frame and don't want to pay pre lock prices for a shooter. I doubt I will see much carry time except maybe the occasional day hike. How obnoxious is the power port porting? While I would prefer the "blued" look over stainless, the PC action job doesn't really matter to me as I would most likely have a trigger job done while bobbing the hammer.

A friend of mine has the carry comp. I thought it was an excellent gun. No complaints of any kind. I didn't think the comp was "that" effective. But certainly not obnoxious either. I don't like the wood grips. The finger groves don't jive with my hand.

I've posted about my 66-8 adnausium here. I like it. I do think the few minutes I spent cleaning up the insides have me a better trigger than my friends PC gun.

Name:  20210601_151334.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  101.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    I'd like to add a 3"ish K-Frame and don't want to pay pre lock prices for a shooter. I doubt I will see much carry time except maybe the occasional day hike. How obnoxious is the power port porting? While I would prefer the "blued" look over stainless, the PC action job doesn't really matter to me as I would most likely have a trigger job done while bobbing the hammer.
    I am in the same position … watching this thread for the input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not My Pistol, But I Dream of Blued Guns:

Name:  6A792420-33E6-47F4-936F-9477BA7DA7DE.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  92.8 KB

I’d like to see how much gunk builds up in the M19 Comp’s muzzle end. While I truly love the looks of a blued pistol, stainless is much more practical for me. No need to worry about scratches or rust, and a minor scratch in stainless will polish right out. A blued pistol will look awful with a scratch, especially the first time. I’ve owned several blued handguns, but I’m down to two: a Beretta 950BS, and a Model 36 Classic. The Beretta was my Dad’s, and the Model 36 sits in my safe. Its bluing is very nice, but that first scratch would make me crazy.

Site Supporter
    I've owned two "comped" S&W revolvers, both L-frames. One was a 4" 586 which I was told was of limited production. I didn't like it all that much and it got traded on something else. The second one was a pre-lock 586 L-comp. It came to me used and quite finish challenged but on a blue steel carry gun that doesn't bother me. It's gonna end up that way anyhow. Mechanically it was sound. Probably should have kept that one but my wrecked lower spine was starting to object to the weight of carry guns so I sold it to finance a Night Guard.

My experience with the comp was that it worked best with full power ammo, Magnums not +P 38 Specials. And contrary to what I've seen written or claimed the comp does not reduce recoil, it redirects it. You feel it even more in your hand but the muzzle rise is noticeably reduced, which lends itself to faster follow up shots.

YMMV,
    Dave

I’m just starting a project with a current 2 3/4” 66. It’s scheduled to be delivered to my FFL tomorrow. If it is of decent quality and shoots, I intend to replace the rear sight with a C&S fixed sight, the hammer with the Apex Tactical DAO spurless hammer, and tool steel trigger and internals installed by my gunsmith. And a lock plug to keep the soul from leaking out. Will advise as the project progresses.
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

Performance Center guns…do we know if they actually do any trigger work? A few years ago I had a 686+ PC 2.5” with a worse trigger than came on a stock 637-2.

Quote Originally Posted by S Jenks View Post
    Performance Center guns…do we know if they actually do any trigger work? A few years ago I had a 686+ PC 2.5” with a worse trigger than came on a stock 637-2.
    Unless it's changed (again) in the last few years, the PC-branded factory guns use a Wolff Type-2 "competition" mainspring overtensioned with a longer, square butt strain screw and, depending on model, chrome hammers with teardrop spurs and triggers with a stop. At this point they seem to be more "brand" identifiers rather than actual functional enhancements.

Buy a modern PC-branded Smith because you like the barrel profile or other semi-unique feature one particular model has. Not because you're expecting something that's been massaged by an actual gunsmith from the factory. Just assume you're getting something where parts come out of a different bin and it has a fancier rollmark. Do not expect action work. Do not expect a more experienced eye looking at endshake, yoke fit, barrel alignment or generally tweaking other little things that someone assembling a factory gun might miss. You'll be less disappointed.

No, it wasn't always this way but the 90s was 30 years ago. Cletus can't tell the difference and the shareholders can. That's all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    Not My Pistol, But I Dream of Blued Guns:

Name:  6A792420-33E6-47F4-936F-9477BA7DA7DE.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  92.8 KB

I’d like to see how much gunk builds up in the M19 Comp’s muzzle end. While I truly love the looks of a blued pistol, stainless is much more practical for me. No need to worry about scratches or rust, and a minor scratch in stainless will polish right out. A blued pistol will look awful with a scratch, especially the first time. I’ve owned several blued handguns, but I’m down to two: a Beretta 950BS, and a Model 36 Classic. The Beretta was my Dad’s, and the Model 36 sits in my safe. Its bluing is very nice, but that first scratch would make me crazy.
    Every time I see a melted 1911, I get a chubby.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Given the two options presented I'd go with the Model 19 Carry Comp. I have a 586 L-Comp that I've extensively modified and done some serious shooting with, and it's easily my favorite S&W gun that I've ever owned out of a pretty significant stack of guns. The compensator does work, and as noted it works better with higher pressure loads. I did side by side testing with the L-Comp and a 3 inch 686+, and in the L-Comp the dot tracked flatter than the 686+, which definitely settled my mind on the compensator as a useful function.

User Tag List