Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Send it to Sokol! (BHP content)

Send it to Sokol! (BHP content)

Been wanting to share this Karl Sokol Hi-Power for some time now (photos taken by my friend @cinematicarms on IG – follow him. Hire him!). Very excited and pleased to have this work done. I'd like to thank @Tokarev's excellent BHP thread that brought Mr. Sokol to my attention!

I bought this 1983 used from a friend (he was probably like the 20th owner!) and sent it off for a total makeover. The gun was a not horrible, but I was hoping for something special. The trigger was pretty awful, felt like I was dragging a cinderblock with a rusty chain over gravel, so I was hoping for some improvement there beyond the aesthetic ones I was looking for.

Name:  62526281437__D3A6D420-7574-41A2-A4B9-1B1E8D49B9D4.jpg
Views: 1095
Size:  63.6 KB

I had an initial call with Karl which was really incredibly enjoyable – we talked for nearly an hour about what I was looking for, but then also about life in Vermont, his background… just really an excellent discussion. He drew up a spec sheet which I agreed on, and I mailed off my pistol with my deposit. Let the wait begin!

The build spec was basically a total refinish:
    • Trigger work
    • Recrown and throat/polish/check chamber
    • Modify thumb safety
    • Mag safety disconnect
    • Dehorning
    • Luster blue finish
    • Semi-bob hammer
    • Gold bead from sight, retro rear
    • Replace spring set
    • Devel style slide lock/stop modification

Mr. Sokol flattened the top of the slide due to previously bungled aftermarket front sight install, you can see what I mean in the below picture:

Before:
    Name:  20210827_141823.jpg
Views: 1077
Size:  42.4 KB

After:
    Name:  20210902_103158.jpg
Views: 1088
Size:  29.3 KB

One of my biggest inspirations here for this project was a wonderful Devel HP that I had come across online. Among other things (like the beautiful finish), I really liked the slim 1911-style slide stop that was featured on that build. Karl and I discussed the modification – he was fully accommodating though I think he halfheartedly tried to talk me out of it… .

I also opted for bluing rather than his standard Mountain Tuff finish, and it is just such a lovely gunmetal grey in person.

Besides the really nice comms with him he did a couple other things which I thought were special. For one, Karl did a magazine test for me and marked them "OK" with a marker which I thought was a really cool detail. Finally he also included a copy of an recent American Handgunning(?) article on the Devel Hi-Power which again was my inspiration for this build. It just seemed very characteristic of the thoughtfulness he displayed throughout the process.

As @Tokarev would agree I'm sure, I would completely recommend Mr. Sokol for individuals looking for high quality smithing. He is a great person, and knowledgable and skilled gunsmith, and exceeded my expectations in bringing my project to life. Pictures below:

Name:  Hi_Power_JC_Angled_Left.jpg
Views: 1106
Size:  55.7 KB

Name:  Hi_Power_JC_Left.jpg
Views: 1088
Size:  58.6 KB

Name:  Hi_Power_JC_Right.jpg
Views: 1095
Size:  51.3 KB

Name:  Hi_Power_JC_Angled_Right.jpg
Views: 1102
Size:  55.6 KB

I was already thinking, "beautiful," and then i saw the gold bead. Gorgeous is the word. Well done, sir.

Site Supporter
    Very Nice HP. Now you need some classy leather for it. I would suggest Milt Sparks.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Quote Originally Posted by MDFA View Post
    Very Nice HP. Now you need some classy leather for it. I would suggest Milt Sparks.
    A Rosen ARG would be a good choice too.

Site Supporter
    Nature's Kydex-Kramer Horsehide for the win.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

That is a very classy pistol build. Well done, all around. Lovely.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Kramer or Privateer.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Outstanding! You made some great choices.

Wow, that's nice.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

User Tag List