Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Israeli Diver finds 900 YO Crusader Sword

Hammertime

Israeli Diver finds 900 YO Crusader Sword

I inserted one, but going to the link and looking at photos is worth the time.

https://apnews.com/article/science-lifestyle-middle-east-israel-8f0d1f2d3a209cf79af5fbaf48514176

Name:  1000.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  73.2 KB
    Last edited by Doc_Glock; 10-20-2021 at 02:19 PM.

Site Supporter
    This is a really cool find. I wonder what the sword would look like if it was cleaned up?

Site Supporter
    I think it is fascinating. I hope it isn't like Stormbringer and an enchanted evil sword that when freed from the coating causes the user to become a killing machine and steal souls. They would have to clean it under something to block air I would think to avoid corrosion.

BTW, I met Michael Moorcock in San Antonio. He did a book reading at Barnes and Nobel as he lived in Bastrop. One of my students was his sitter.

Just a diversion.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    I inserted one, but going to the link and looking at photos is worth the time.
    I like the picture where the sword is lying on the sand of the sea ground.

In the German Blade Museum ("Deutsches Klingenmuseum") in Solingen, they have a real Ulfberht which is 1000 years old. I've learned this only a few days ago. It's less than an hour by car, I will soon go there. If I'm allowed to take pictures, I'll post one here.

solinger-tageblatt.de/solingen/neutronenstrahl-misst-alter-schwertern-9823319.html:

tf.uni-kiel.de/matwis/amat/iss/kap_b/illustr/ib_4_2.html:

Deepl translation of de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulfberht#Metallografische_Forschung:
    The results of modern metallographic research prove that the early medieval Frankish-Alemannic swords represented top products in their time, which were produced at the highest level of craftsmanship. The work of the sword researcher Stefan Mäder proves that the damascened swords of the early Middle Ages often had a highly complex structure and were selectively hardened.
    Last edited by P30; 10-20-2021 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I think it is fascinating. I hope it isn't like Stormbringer and an enchanted evil sword that when freed from the coating causes the user to become a killing machine and steal souls. They would have to clean it under something to block air I would think to avoid corrosion.

BTW, I met Michael Moorcock in San Antonio. He did a book reading at Barnes and Nobel as he lived in Bastrop. One of my students was his sitter.

Just a diversion.
    Elric of Melniboné: the original differently-abled albinX.

Those were cool books.

Even cooler sword in the OP.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

It's very unfortunate that it's likely a fake.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    It's very unfortunate that it's likely a fake.
    Okay, I’ll bite.
    Why do you think so?

Because in water that shallow it would have been found long ago?
    Or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Okay, I’ll bite.
    Why do you think so?

Because in water that shallow it would have been found long ago?
    Or something else?
    Water depth really isn't a factor. Things move around on tbe ocean floor due to current, climate, etc. Where it was found may not have been where it started. The overall shape and profile of the object is remarkably straight and defined for an object that's been on the ocean floor for a near millennium. It's interesting if it's real. However, these days fakes are so rampant in this particular niche that one has to assume a lack of authenticity unless it can becproven otherwise.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Apparently discarded by strange women lying in ponds
    "There are two ways to do most anything- right and again."

Quote Originally Posted by mark7 View Post
    Apparently discarded by strange women lying in ponds
    That is no basis for a system of government!
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List