Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 38 Special 130grn HST discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    My testing of the HST didn’t result in anything to write home about. Groups were just OK, and POI was different in every gun I tried (mostly J frames). None of my guns were POA=POI.
    I had the same results with the Micro HST from wheelguns - the inconsistent POI drove me absolutely bananas, so I eventually dropped them entirely in favor of Gold Dots for expanding bullets. Re: whether or not the Micro HST is getting discontinued by Federal is anyone's guess - I have a robot that alerts me when they're in stock, and they've bounced in and out of stock on Federal's website twice in the last 24 hours.

HST Micro works fine in my M64 at 15 yards:

Name:  DD5A35B9-BD5A-44A7-BF7C-CC84BAC1382A.jpg
Views: 1329
Size:  31.4 KB

I bought 200+/- rounds when it was $12 per box.

It seems they are selling a new “Hydra-shok Deep” 130-grain +P 38 spl load that perhaps is the replacement. Hopefully, it performs better than the HST’s reputation in that loading.

Specs are 900 FPS from a 4” barrel, with 15” penetration in bare gel.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    It seems they are selling a new “Hydra-shok Deep” 130-grain +P 38 spl load that perhaps is the replacement. Hopefully, it performs better than the HST’s reputation in that loading.

Specs are 900 FPS from a 4” barrel, with 15” penetration in bare gel.
    I'd rather just have a swc @ 900 fps

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I'd rather just have a swc @ 900 fps
    Perhaps, but I find my speedloads to be a bit smoother with bullets with some kind of ogive to them.

Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    That was my experience too.

The .38 Special HST accuracy (to say nothing of precision) was hopeless in my "snubbies", both those of dedicated .38 Special sort and in .357 Magnum examples.

I really wanted to like it, but a round whose POI was so unpredictably and inconsistently different from POA was useless.
    I still have a couple boxes of it sitting on a shelf.
    Do you still have a couple boxes on the shelf? I’m trying to track down a box or 2.

User Tag List