Thread: Switching between right and left handed carry due to over use. Have you done it?

Site Supporter

Switching between right and left handed carry due to over use. Have you done it?

I was wondering if anyone else has done this before and if some of our folks with med/physiology backgrounds have an opinion on my current plan of action here.

Years of carrying aiwb for 10–15 hours a day (usually only at work for 10hrs) while doing physical labor is I think starting to cause some lower back issues. Notably, on the left-side opposite my firearm. I’ve been experiencing a good bit of muscle soreness/ tightness that I belienve is related to my gun limiting the amount I can bend over on the right side. That means that every time I bend over my left side bends further and all the little and big stabalizer muscles end up doing more work than those on my right side.

In addition to doing some supplementary strengthening exercises I’m thinking that it would be a good idea to alternate carrying left handed some. I was thinking of changing either weekly or every 2 weeks. I’m afraid that no matter how much time I spend with supplemental exercises I’ll never be able to keep up with basically wearing a movement limiting back brace all day long. I’m not afraid of putting in more work left handed, and think it would probably be a bonus for my current interest level in shooting.

So Good idea/Bad idea? Thoughts or concerns are all welcome

If it were me I'd make sure my issue was caused by repetitive bending of one side like you say, but I'm not sure how you'd do that. Next, I'd tweak how I'm carrying to see if bending on the carry side was doable. And unless I was truly ambidextrous and well-practiced in shooting left-handed, I'd never switch. The last thing I want to do is to get into a stressful situation and be handicapped trying to shoot weak-handed.

Balance your non gun side with:
    Gun,
    Spare Mags,
    Knife,
    Light,
    Any combo of above.

How big a gun? Have you AIWB a pistol small enough that you don't have to favor the non-strapped side in bending?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I went to the chiropractor and started pocket carrying a 12 oz. revolver. Wallet and cell phone in the opposite pocket evens things out.

Stretch more.

Hams, glutes, and quads

"The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    How big a gun? Have you AIWB a pistol small enough that you don't have to favor the non-strapped side in bending?
    Right now it’s a g17 with grip cut to 19 length. I’ve been thinking I might try out the 19 in it’s place, but I would prefer to not go smaller than that. I used to carry a 26 but upsized after in the same year 1. A dude attempted to rob/carjack me at knife point 2. I was in the bathroom at a physical therapy/optometrist office that was one of our clients in a decent part of town when someone very nearby mag dumped a centerfire rifle and made me and everyone there think we were about to know what dealing with an active shooter was like.

I appreciate all the other suggestions too. I’ll admit that I haven’t been doing as much of the deep stretching that @03RN recommended that has helped with prior back problems so I’ll fix that pronto.

I do carry a small fixed blade weakside appendix to help some with balance, but I don’t normally carry a reload on my person at work due to weight and honestly the added maintenance of feeling the need to clean the mag a couple of times a week due to ingress of dirt and sweat during carry.

I think I am going to fold up a lefty holster and start working those skills so I can get comfortable carrying that way. Even if I decide that I don’t need to constantly change it will be nice to know if I’m ever injured I have a decent skill base to fall back on.

User Tag List