Thread: JMCK OWB 1 vs OWB 2 Differences

JMCK OWB 1 vs OWB 2 Differences

For concealment under a jacket, I'm trying to decide between the two. I see the different construction, but using a 10 degree cant and carrying at 3:00 or 3:30, what are the functional differences? Thanks.

I went OWB2 because of past experience with other similar designs - I found they pull the butt in nicely, and the OWB2 does the same. I’m curious if anyone here has both and can offer a comparison. I remember the OWB1 was potentially getting a QD attachment at some point.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    I recommend emailing or calling JMCK and describing your build, waist size, gun size, and other relevant details. I did just that when I was vacillating between those two holsters, and we easily settled on the OWB1, which is beyond excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    I recommend emailing or calling JMCK and describing your build, waist size, gun size, and other relevant details. I did just that when I was vacillating between those two holsters, and we easily settled on the OWB1, which is beyond excellent.
    I just did. I've asked Tony a lot of questions over the years but wanted to spare him on this one. Maybe next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry T View Post
    I just did. I've asked Tony a lot of questions over the years but wanted to spare him on this one. Maybe next time.
    No worries, I am always here to help (may take a couple days for me to respond these days though).

I designed the OWB2 to be worn at the 3:30 or 4:00 position and I think it rides and hides best just behind the seam of your pants. If you are on the real skinny side, then this holster may not work for you and more than likely will not work directly at the 3:00 position for anyone (bigger guys will be ok but skinny guys and directly at 3:00 this holster will make the grip print more probably). the way the front loop is attached means you have to get the holster on a wider part of your body, if that loop is on the narrowest part (point of hip or 3:00 for most people) of your waist it may pull that portion of the holster in too much and "kick" the grip out a bit. If you can keep the OWB2 back off the point of the hip a bit it works extremely well.

The OWB1 is bit more balanced as far as pulling the entire gun into the body at the same level and evenly. The big thing about the OWB1 (and grip side of OWB2 ) is the over the top loops, they really help the gun from being floppy and the angle of them means they are always pulling the holster into your body. we keep the ride height down close to the belt line as well for better ride, imo an OWB that rides too high is akin to an AIWB holster "rolling out"

You can't go wrong with either but if you like to carry right behind the seam of the pants, the OWB2 would have the edge I think.

HOpe that helps, let me know if anymore questions.
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Mayer View Post
    No worries, I am always here to help (may take a couple days for me to respond these days though).

I designed the OWB2 to be worn at the 3:30 or 4:00 position and I think it rides and hides best just behind the seam of your pants. If you are on the real skinny side, then this holster may not work for you and more than likely will not work directly at the 3:00 position for anyone (bigger guys will be ok but skinny guys and directly at 3:00 this holster will make the grip print more probably). the way the front loop is attached means you have to get the holster on a wider part of your body, if that loop is on the narrowest part (point of hip or 3:00 for most people) of your waist it may pull that portion of the holster in too much and "kick" the grip out a bit. If you can keep the OWB2 back off the point of the hip a bit it works extremely well.

The OWB1 is bit more balanced as far as pulling the entire gun into the body at the same level and evenly. The big thing about the OWB1 (and grip side of OWB2 ) is the over the top loops, they really help the gun from being floppy and the angle of them means they are always pulling the holster into your body. we keep the ride height down close to the belt line as well for better ride, imo an OWB that rides too high is akin to an AIWB holster "rolling out"

You can't go wrong with either but if you like to carry right behind the seam of the pants, the OWB2 would have the edge I think.

HOpe that helps, let me know if anymore questions.
    Thanks for the detailed explanation and email reply. For the benefit of others, I'll comment here instead of sending another email. If I understand, it looks like the OWB1 is more like the Raven Perun (balanced, etc) and better at 3:00. I experimented with my Perun further back at 3:30 or so with 10* cant and the grip didn't tuck against the body very well (mag well flagged out from body), but did fine at 3:00. It looks like the OWB2 would pull the grip into the body better at 3:30 or so. I'm interested at carrying at 3:30 - 3:45 to get the front of the holster out of sight when wearing an open sport coat or suit jacket. So the OWB2 seems to be the ticket?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Mayer View Post
    …but if you like to carry right behind the seam of the pants, the OWB2 would have the edge I think.
    Exactly where I carry, and the OWB2 is working really well for me.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List