Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: List of Departments Authorizing and or Issuing MRDS for duty sidearms

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Re: The R0 - I suspect it “passed” the same way (and for the same reasons) the G43 “passed.” I can personally attest that it is very easy to damage the polymer body of the R0 while re-installing after battery changes. I’m recommending anyone carrying the R0 keep a spare optic handy.
    I am guessing HQ pencil whipped the R0 into the approved list, like the 43. I expect the same results… failed products. I like to tell the troops that “if we approved it, it means we beat the shit out of it in testing, so you can trust it”. It pisses me off I know I can’t say that with a straight face after the 43.

They are making it mandatory to have a metal shroud installed around the R0. One built specifically at our request. We call that a clue. It may have alleviated the issues. Maybe. Or it’s a bandaid… who knows. This may be a “it’s a back up, so it only needs a 5k test, not a 10k test” thing like the you-know-what.

Problem is, the shroud thickness raises the “back up” rear sight molded into the R0, and as such, you are hitting 6” high at 10 yards. Sig has yet to make a front sight to account for this… and as such, our roll out of the R0 is on hold for now.

From everything I have seen and heard, I will skip a RDS on the 365. I may revisit the concept when a more robust candidate is named. I see a lot of Holosuns on the 365 these days.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

@Gadfly I’m also hoping to see the Holosun 507K approved as an option for the smaller guns. I’m likely going to try and pick up a P365XL at the end of the year as I contemplate switching back to the agency gun.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Here's what I see in my Aimpoint travels. Just about EVERY mid to large sized agency is at least studying the concept, if not authorizing/issuing PMOs (Pistol Mounted Optics, the LAPD term and the one I feel best descriptive). There are several approaches:

1. Issue to SWAT and see how it works and then plan on issuing/authorizing for all.
    2. Issue in the academy and then migrate the rest of the department.
    3. Issue to all troops.
    4. Authorize IOP by all.

Big agencies that I know are issuing or authorizing PMOs include:

Houston PD
    Austin PD
    Fort Worth PD
    Travis County TX SO
    Harris County TX SO
    Phoenix PD
    Tucson PD
    Mesa PD
    LVMPD
    LASD
    LAPD
    Plano TX PD

There are many, many more. If I can help you with training resources, position papers, etc., let me know via PM. I can tell you this: don't buy anymore non-optics capable pistols for issue. You don't want to be the guy that made a decision that won't work for inclusion of a PMO program later. We are all going to be doing this in the next five years...
    It's a much longer drawn out process to issue the RDS. Easier for the officers but takes forever. I think issuing optic ready guns to everyone and approve the top 3-or 4 optics that passed the testing process and let the officer purchase them is the way to go.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Utm View Post
    It's a much longer drawn out process to issue the RDS. Easier for the officers but takes forever. I think issuing optic ready guns to everyone and approve the top 3-or 4 optics that passed the testing process and let the officer purchase them is the way to go.
    That can be a train wreck plan...just sayin'
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Utm View Post
    That is exactly what our local Sheriffs department just did. They are switching to 9mm Sig 320s from .40 cal XDM's and are allowing deputy's the choice to run from an approved list of optics. It is my understanding that out of about 150 deputy's issued handguns 50 of them have chosen to go with an optic at the present time. The transition for the new guns is 1 day 300 rounds for irons, or 2 days 600 rounds for optics guns. They are using material from Sage Dynamics but I don't know if their range officers have actually trained with Cowan. I mostly agree with Wayne that this could be sloppy.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    That can be a train wreck plan...just sayin'
    I think it's less of a headache if you say here's an MOS gun and you can purchase an acro, rmr, holosun 508, 507, 509. Have a department armorer install it. I don't see how that would cause much of an issue

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    That is exactly what our local Sheriffs department just did. They are switching to 9mm Sig 320s from .40 cal XDM's and are allowing deputy's the choice to run from an approved list of optics. It is my understanding that out of about 150 deputy's issued handguns 50 of them have chosen to go with an optic at the present time. The transition for the new guns is 1 day 300 rounds for irons, or 2 days 600 rounds for optics guns. They are using material from Sage Dynamics but I don't know if their range officers have actually trained with Cowan. I mostly agree with Wayne that this could be sloppy.
    Out of 114 or so we had about 4 or 5 go no optic. PD is issuing. Class is 16 hours but the process has taken a little over a year and half for even the first guns to be issued

PM sent, Mr.Dobbs. Thank you for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    PS-I was told by an ATF agent at the same party that field agents would be getting a PMO in the upcoming fiscal year. He did not know what optic. While he is not a gun guy, he dropped the same knowledge re the switch from Sig to Glock about 12-18 months out back in the day. As I type this, it has been long enough such that those Glocks could certainly be due for "replacement" to an MOS platform.
    I wouldn't read too much into that supposed "early" knowledge about the SIG to Glock switch by ATF. The actual switch was delayed a LONG time due to SIG's infamous protest of being removed from the trials for the new pistols, that resulted in Glocks and S&W M&P being awarded the contract. Both were available for purchase, but ATF only bought the Glocks. Also, those were Gen 4 .40cal Glocks, and ATF switched to 9mm Glocks just a couple years ago, so I doubt those guns need to be replaced. Whether or not they want to replace them, and have the money to replace them, is a different story.

If it's any help the Indiana DNR Conservation Officers adopted Sig 320 with MRDS. Give Kipper a call and if he doesnt have the info he can get it for you.

Firearms - Lt. Dave Kipper - 317-837-3220

And here's the Conversation Oficers number from ILEA as well

Indiana Conservation Officer Training - 317-837-3290

Good luck

User Tag List