Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: List of Departments Authorizing and or Issuing MRDS for duty sidearms

I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area.

My department and just about every other department I can think of near me (except CHP and SFPD perhaps) authorize pistol optics for use by their officers. I can only think of one department locally that actually issues them and they're issuing. Glock 45 with an RMR Type 2.

Another large department that authorizes PMO's is Phoenix PD in Arizona. I don't know where you are located, but I'm sure if you call around local plenty of departments near you will likely authorize optics. It's becoming the norm.

Whatever pistol we go with in the next few years to replace our current original M&P 9's will have an optic plate; however, I'm not sure we are going to actually issue optics.

"IF" we decided to issue an optic right now I would lean toward either a Holosun 508t or 509t. I love the RMR Type 2, but from an armorer standpoint I can't think of a bigger pain in the ass than having to swap out batteries department wide on an optic I have to unmount/remount every year.

My old org doesn't meet the listed criteria, only @250 sworn. The Lt currently tasked with such things is buying PMO capable Glocks as they have to replace gen 4 17s & 19s. Current instructors have had access to classes with Jedlinski and Yong Lee.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    I'm also in the SF Bay Area.....in the agency KevH referred to that is not a state Highway Patrol. We do not yet issue or authorize optics, but it's only a matter of time. All of our instructors have gone through the Sig Academy Pistol Mounted Optics Instructor Program. One of the main criteria for our next handgun is that it be an optics ready platform. I'll say that of the larger agencies in the area that do NOT currently issue or authorize optics that I'm aware of, every single one is planning on doing so in the near future.

ETA: the Sheriffs Office just south of us is transitioning to the Sig 320 Pro with a Sig Romeo1 Pro optic, issued, for all personnel, or other authorized pistol and optic combo.
    Last edited by AMC; 10-20-2021 at 11:58 PM.

My agency is in the process of procuring Gen5 G19 MOSs for general issue, but our policy still SPECIFICALLY prohibits any PMO as a "competition only modification." Sigh. Have I mentioned I'm 70 days and a wake up from retirement today?

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    My agency is in the process of procuring Gen5 G19 MOSs for general issue, but our policy still SPECIFICALLY prohibits any PMO as a "competition only modification." Sigh. Have I mentioned I'm 70 days and a wake up from retirement today?
    Nice. End of June for me.....or a really bad couple of days considering how things are going around here. Dealing with police administrators on this stuff is beyond frustrating. The "Administrative No" is the easy answer from the ignorant and the incompetent. Most folks outside the profession have no idea that most police "Leadership" knows next to nothing about the job of the people they ostensibly lead.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The ICE MRDS program was “field tested” by SRT for a year prior to agency wide authorization. For perspective they had no optics failures during the field test but they did manage to deadline three P320s by bending the ejectors via “over enthusiastic” emergency reloads.
    More than 3... as I was the 4th or 5th bent/broken ejector per Altoona, and that was over a year ago. My POW got dead lined and replaced by the SIG mothership.

In this movie i saw... the local HSI office got well over 100 slides and R1Ps sent to them, but has yet to enough ammo sent to do the transition training (because congress wont pass a damn budget).... in this movie I saw..... But allegedly that is to be sorted out soon. Hopefully In the sequel to the movie I saw, which should come out next quarter.

We somehow approved the Sig Romeo Zero for personal purchase use on the p365. I don't know how that passed testing. My buddy that owns a range/shop said he gets a VERY high percentage of Romeo Zeros brought in not working. When I told him it had passed our testing, he was highly skeptical.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    More than 3... as I was the 4th or 5th bent/broken ejector per Altoona, and that was over a year ago. My POW got dead lined and replaced by the SIG mothership.

In this movie i saw... the local HSI office got well over 100 slides and R1Ps sent to them, but has yet to enough ammo sent to do the transition training (because congress wont pass a damn budget).... in this movie I saw..... But allegedly that is to be sorted out soon. Hopefully In the sequel to the movie I saw, which should come out next quarter.

We somehow approved the Sig Romeo Zero for personal purchase use on the p365. I don't know how that passed testing. My buddy that owns a range/shop said he gets a VERY high percentage of Romeo Zeros brought in not working. When I told him it had passed our testing, he was highly skeptical.
    Yes but only 3 of the TACTICAL TAN ! SRT program guns. I’m sure there will be more bent ejectors.

I saw the same movie.

Re: The R0 - I suspect it “passed” the same way (and for the same reasons) the G43 “passed.” I can personally attest that it is very easy to damage the polymer body of the R0 while re-installing after battery changes. I’m recommending anyone carrying the R0 keep a spare optic handy.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I’m recommending anyone carrying the R0 keep a spare optic handy.
    .....on a second gun. Carried on your person.

Thank you to everyone that has responded so far, I was able to put a number of comparable size departments on my proposal. Now the waiting game to see how long it takes.

I can understand some who can't list their department by name(myself included yet) but without the department names I cannot put them in my list to send up the chain of command.

As to the movie that some are getting to watch... I have not seen that one yet but would love to if it gets released.

Ethan

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Edge of lane and slight ramble warning.

Wayne is dropping platinum level knowledge in this thread ( and throughout the forum.)

I was at a retirement party for a dynamite detective last friday whom the dept made retire after 35 years despite him being a very fit 56 yr old with no kids, married to a LEO, because that is the policy. The KC metro area is less safe with his absence from the streets but I digress.

At the party, I spoke with an agency range master re what was initially an executive driven migration toward 9mm away from .40 cal.

As such, all new academy classes beginning in 2022, will be buying an MOS capable Glock 9mm. PMO sight evaluation is ongoing by range staff with an eye toward SWAT first, new officer classes 2nd and IOP third.

If this is anything like the move toward Glock, away from a prior platform, it will take longer than anticipated but it is definitely going to happen. In fairness, as officers purchase their weapons, it always takes time to get folks to go into their own pockets. i.e. low interest loans from the credit union for new sidearms, IOP carbines etc.

There will likely be a drop dead date by which you will have the MOS Glock or you will be separating from the department within 12 months from that date such that you will be exempt.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the biggest potential kinks in the cogs right now are both weapon and holster availability. Ammo and PMOs, not so much.

YMMV Greatly. FWIW.

With the exception of my families former partner, most of the KC officers I knew, have retired in the last couple of years. If they decide on an optic, please post up what they do decide on.

User Tag List