Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: List of Departments Authorizing and or Issuing MRDS for duty sidearms

List of Departments Authorizing and or Issuing MRDS for duty sidearms

I am putting together a proposal at my department and my LT wants to include a listing of medium to large sized departments comparable to ours, that issue and or authorize MRDS's for duty use.

My search skills I guess suck. I have Sage Dynamics list in the white pages, but most of those are smaller departments. I know Houston, LASD and Delaware State PD, and have reached out to a few LE reps, but have not found a list.

If you know of one or you are part of a mid-large department using them could you please either contact me or post up here. Finding them in individual posts has been tedious.

And yes, as soon as I can get authorization to make my department public I will do so.

Ethan

What is your definition of a mid-large agency?
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    What is your definition of a mid-large agency?
    My department is over 2,000 sworn, but I think any department with several hundred or more sworn officers would be a good representation.

I just don't want to base my argument on smaller departments that the logistics would be simpler to implement.

Site Supporter
    I think ICE (HSI and ERO—well over 10k sworn) recently allowed dots on POWs.

Site Supporter
    Here's what I see in my Aimpoint travels. Just about EVERY mid to large sized agency is at least studying the concept, if not authorizing/issuing PMOs (Pistol Mounted Optics, the LAPD term and the one I feel best descriptive). There are several approaches:

1. Issue to SWAT and see how it works and then plan on issuing/authorizing for all.
    2. Issue in the academy and then migrate the rest of the department.
    3. Issue to all troops.
    4. Authorize IOP by all.

Big agencies that I know are issuing or authorizing PMOs include:

Houston PD
    Austin PD
    Fort Worth PD
    Travis County TX SO
    Harris County TX SO
    Phoenix PD
    Tucson PD
    Mesa PD
    LVMPD
    LASD
    LAPD
    Plano TX PD

There are many, many more. If I can help you with training resources, position papers, etc., let me know via PM. I can tell you this: don't buy anymore non-optics capable pistols for issue. You don't want to be the guy that made a decision that won't work for inclusion of a PMO program later. We are all going to be doing this in the next five years...
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Here's what I see in my Aimpoint travels. Just about EVERY mid to large sized agency is at least studying the concept, if not authorizing/issuing PMOs (Pistol Mounted Optics, the LAPD term and the one I feel best descriptive). There are several approaches:

1. Issue to SWAT and see how it works and then plan on issuing/authorizing for all.
    2. Issue in the academy and then migrate the rest of the department.
    3. Issue to all troops.
    4. Authorize IOP by all.

Big agencies that I know are issuing or authorizing PMOs include:

Houston PD
    Austin PD
    Fort Worth PD
    Travis County TX SO
    Harris County TX SO
    Phoenix PD
    Tucson PD
    Mesa PD
    LVMPD
    LASD
    LAPD
    Plano TX PD

There are many, many more. If I can help you with training resources, position papers, etc., let me know via PM. I can tell you this: don't buy anymore non-optics capable pistols for issue. You don't want to be the guy that made a decision that won't work for inclusion of a PMO program later. We are all going to be doing this in the next five years...
    Thank you very much. I sent you a PM with my contact information.

You can add Corpus Christi PD (TX) to Wayne's list. (~300 sworn)
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    Edge of lane and slight ramble warning.

Wayne is dropping platinum level knowledge in this thread ( and throughout the forum.)

I was at a retirement party for a dynamite detective last friday whom the dept made retire after 35 years despite him being a very fit 56 yr old with no kids, married to a LEO, because that is the policy. The KC metro area is less safe with his absence from the streets but I digress.

At the party, I spoke with an agency range master re what was initially an executive driven migration toward 9mm away from .40 cal.

As such, all new academy classes beginning in 2022, will be buying an MOS capable Glock 9mm. PMO sight evaluation is ongoing by range staff with an eye toward SWAT first, new officer classes 2nd and IOP third.

If this is anything like the move toward Glock, away from a prior platform, it will take longer than anticipated but it is definitely going to happen. In fairness, as officers purchase their weapons, it always takes time to get folks to go into their own pockets. i.e. low interest loans from the credit union for new sidearms, IOP carbines etc.

There will likely be a drop dead date by which you will have the MOS Glock or you will be separating from the department within 12 months from that date such that you will be exempt.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the biggest potential kinks in the cogs right now are both weapon and holster availability. Ammo and PMOs, not so much.

YMMV Greatly. FWIW.

PS-I was told by an ATF agent at the same party that field agents would be getting a PMO in the upcoming fiscal year. He did not know what optic. While he is not a gun guy, he dropped the same knowledge re the switch from Sig to Glock about 12-18 months out back in the day. As I type this, it has been long enough such that those Glocks could certainly be due for "replacement" to an MOS platform.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethang View Post
    I am putting together a proposal at my department and my LT wants to include a listing of medium to large sized departments comparable to ours, that issue and or authorize MRDS's for duty use.

My search skills I guess suck. I have Sage Dynamics list in the white pages, but most of those are smaller departments. I know Houston, LASD and Delaware State PD, and have reached out to a few LE reps, but have not found a list.

If you know of one or you are part of a mid-large department using them could you please either contact me or post up here. Finding them in individual posts has been tedious.

And yes, as soon as I can get authorization to make my department public I will do so.

Ethan
    U.S. ICE issues various versions of the SIG P320 with the Sig Romeo1PRO optic. New Agents will be issued the DHS P320 X Carry with the R1P and everyone else will be transitioning to RDS within the next few years. In addition, the following are authorized as POWs: SIG P365XL & P365X with the Romeo Zero RDS, SIG P320 (DHS SKU) with either the R1P or the type 2 RMR, Glock Gen4 17 or 19 MOS with either R1P or RMR Type 2. BUIS are required but do not have to be night sights since the RDS fills that requirement.

The ICE MRDS program was “field tested” by SRT for a year prior to agency wide authorization. For perspective they had no optics failures during the field test but they did manage to deadline three P320s by bending the ejectors via “over enthusiastic” emergency reloads.

FBI is transitioning their SWAT to G19M MOS models with type 2 RMRs. Once current 19M supplies are exhausted new agents will be issued the 19M MOS in anticipation of wider RDS issue in the future. Also going forward all Glock 19/17s purchased via their POW program will be M MOS models.

The US Marshal’s Service has authorized RDS POW Glocks (RMR or DPP) for the past 2-3 years and they are supposed to start issuing RDS Glocks to new Deputies in the Academy. No details. The USMS SOG (their national SWAT) is issuing Stacatto P DUOs with Leupold DPP.

The San Antonio Police Dept. With approximately 2,000 sworn authorizes the M&P CORE .40 for duty and other RDS guns for off duty with 4 optic options: RMR type 2, ACRO, Holosun 508T and the Leupold DPP. They are currently looking at transitioning to an optics ready 9mm platform.

Houston PD authorizes RDS pistols and though they don’t “issue” pistols, the standard pistol for their academy cadets is the Glock 17 Gen 5 MOS with RMR. I don’t have further details on HPD.
    Last edited by HCM; 10-20-2021 at 10:45 AM.

I know the city of Atlanta, GA, has started a small program with RMRs.
    Idaho and Utah State Police have begun with Holosuns on pistols.
    The issue with many agencies is, as usual, budgets.

User Tag List