Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Five Drills for USPSA/Competitive Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I get that. I’m giving an example of constructing a “drill” to work on specific skills. If I could rewind the tape of my training, I would spend less time on Bill Drill and El Pres type drills.
    This makes a lot of sense to me too and might be something I should consider. If I could develop specific drills/stages to work on specific weaknesses I notice in dry fire, it could be more beneficial for me than focusing strictly on standard type drills

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    These are great questions and I should've clarified. My hits on the 7 yard bill drill are usually As in that time frame unless I'm really pushing to set a record. I'm decent at pure hoser stuff and one of the reasons I don't shoot it at 7 is because my index is good enough that I can get away with being pretty lazy with the dot. I'd say the 7 yard bill drill is not representative of my actual skill level, it makes me sound like a better shooter than I actually am lol.

My El Prez time is probably a better indicator of my skills. My raw time is often a shade under 5 seconds, but with .1/point scoring penalties I'm usually in the 5.5 range. 1.1 turning draw (yikes!), 1.4 reload (double yikes!), and .23 splits are about normal for me. All things that need work, especially my reloads.

My main goals are general competency really. I haven't shot a USPSA match in quite some time, though I do plan get back to competing soon.
    But why not use USPSA scoring for the USPSA standards and get a sense of what percents you’re running?

As for 7 yard open Bill drills, I’d suggest Eye of the Tiger and It’s not Brain Surgery for 7 yard heads.

It’s basically a Blake drill on 7 yard heads. Score it Hit Factor and you’ll get a sense of where your functional accuracy is at.

If you’re good on hoser stuff you might try the “Can You Count”

Another one that I do sometimes that’s along the lines of @Clusterfrack drill:

Different size targets (shot with 40SW).
    Last edited by JCN; 10-20-2021 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    But why not use USPSA scoring for the USPSA standards and get a sense of what percents you’re running?

As for 7 yard open Bill drills, I’d suggest Eye of the Tiger and It’s not Brain Surgery for 7 yard heads.

It’s basically a Blake drill on 7 yard heads. Score it Hit Factor and you’ll get a sense of where your functional accuracy is at.

If you’re good on hoser stuff you might try the “Can You Count”

Another one that I do sometimes that’s along the lines of @Clusterfrack drill:

Different size targets (shot with 40SW).
    Thanks so much, brother! I really appreciate these recommendations and I'm going to run them at my next range session. I'm also going to convert my scores on El Prez to USPSA scoring and track the new drills you recommended the same way.

Also, are you running an Aimcam by chance in the videos? I just picked some up to try out but haven't tested them yet

@Kirk

I have an AimCam but I don’t like the weight and heat of the unit for gaming stuff. The videos were done with a hat mounted GoPro Session since it’s small and light.

If you have a USPSA membership you can use the calculator to tell you what your hit factor represents achievement wise.

For example, if you’ve set up El Pres to spec and can do it in 5.0 sec with two Charlies (-4 points so 5.4 sec by your scoring) then you get HF of 11.2 with minor scoring and that’s a GM run!

Name:  82A3E023-8F32-4849-BF4E-02FA9682B7EE.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  16.1 KB

If you’re at the M/GM stand and shoot classifier level, then I think I might work on more movement, super wide transition and gear change drills. What is your range setup like? Open bay outside? One berm or any ability to shoot 90-150 degrees?
    Last edited by JCN; 10-21-2021 at 07:38 AM.

User Tag List