Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brand new to red dots.

Yes, the firearms are mine.

They will all be milled.

Always concealed appendix carry. Sometimes carried doing surveillance work. (Retired Sergeant)

Old eyes not seeing the sights anymore. I checked out some red dot sights and I can even see them without glasses. 3.25 size dot and up works best. Red color works best for me.

I was told I need to have it milled for either Holosun or Trijicon. Holosun worked better with my eyes. I'm looking to get the Holosun 507T and 507K. Am I foolish not getting back up iron sights, I really can't see them anymore?

Thanks for your assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Street Survival View Post
    Yes, the firearms are mine.

They will all be milled.

Always concealed appendix carry. Sometimes carried doing surveillance work. (Retired Sergeant)

Old eyes not seeing the sights anymore. I checked out some red dot sights and I can even see them without glasses. 3.25 size dot and up works best. Red color works best for me.

I was told I need to have it milled for either Holosun or Trijicon. Holosun worked better with my eyes. I'm looking to get the Holosun 507T and 507K. Am I foolish not getting back up iron sights, I really can't see them anymore?

Thanks for your assistance.
    Start with the just the Glock. You can do the other guns later. My preference has changed over time regarding PMO's.

I think for concealed carry you're fine with an open emitter like a 507C or 508T. If you turn the circle off (hold down the (-) button) you'll have a nice crisp 2 moa dot.

For your purposes the Holosun 507C will work just fine. For the Glock you can send it to Maple Leaf Firearms. They'll even install the Ameriglo backup irons for you (which I would do). Don't bother paying for fancy mill cuts or to have the slide refinished. They'll black it out anyway and the optic will cover the cut.

Once you've played with the Glock quite a bit then worry about the Commander and the M&P. If it were me, I would eventually send it to ATEi and have them do a Trijicon RM06 Type 2 on a Trijicon mount 1911 saddle mount that comes with backup sights and a tall front sight. It won't be cheap, but it's probably the best option right now without going crazy spendy. I would call them and time it when they have a holiday sale since they'll likely give you a nice retired LE discount on top of the sale.

I like the RM07 Type 2 because it's:
    a) Darn near bulletproof
    b) The larger dot looks clearer with my astigmatism
    c) The auto adjust actually works really well, but it still has massive buttons on the side so I can just reach up and dial it in
    d) The dot doesn't seem to wash out with the use of a WML
    e) Milled into the slide by Maple Leaf it's fairly low profile and unobtrusive

Backup iron sights to me are a must. If you need to present the gun fast they'er typically easier to find than fishing for the dot. Use the sight you can see first (dot or irons) and go. Even if they're blurry, they're still better than point shooting. You can always run a red dot and green fiber optic front sight if it helps you index off of it.

For the role you've defined, I'd concur with @KevH's recommendations.

@Street Survival , when you get to the 1911 part of KevH’s suggestions, also consider Nighthawk for the install of the trijicon adapter. They did mine and I’m very pleased with the work. I know you’re familiar with the custom 1911 world, so their pricing or timeline won’t be a surprise.

I’ve seen several pro-fit atei jobs on glocks and the work is stellar

The gentlemen above all have good advice, and the idea of starting with the Glock makes sense. The Holosun would be a little easier on the budget, FWIW.
    My experience has been one needs to train up to the sights. My respectful, but strong, recommendation would be to get to a class and/or seek a coach familiar with dot sights on handguns. I don’t think one can just bolt a sight on and call it all good. For me, it took a dedicated day on a steel range and about 5-600 rounds(I’m in my late 60s, some vision issues but still try to be a good student).
    In the end, some work up front will save you time, money, etc.
    Definitely have some sort of backup sight. Ameriglo has all sorts, with the fiber front a good suggestion.
    Best of luck with the journey

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate your sage input. *** Stay Safe out there!

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    @Street Survival , when you get to the 1911 part of KevH’s suggestions, also consider Nighthawk for the install of the trijicon adapter. They did mine and I’m very pleased with the work. I know you’re familiar with the custom 1911 world, so their pricing or timeline won’t be a surprise.

I’ve seen several pro-fit atei jobs on glocks and the work is stellar
    I had Nighthawk do that on my EDC X9.

Name:  B828D94E-C074-495C-AC69-623134D86FBC.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  55.1 KB

User Tag List