Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brand new to red dots.

Brand new to red dots.

Gentlemen,

I have a question for the red dot "sage shooters" out there. I am looking to purchase red dots for the following 3 firearms, Glock, Model 45, 9mm, M&P 45acp with 4" barrel and Dan Wesson 1911, Commander size, 45acp. The red dots can be Holosun or Trijicon RMR. Exact models would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you know the size back up sights to get for each model?*** Thank You in advance for your assistance.

RMR

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Are these factory optics ready guns or are you having then milled? If the latter, I would suggest asking the shop doing the milling work which BUIS they recommend, as it will vaey based on the milling depths. Personally I like all black BUIS that are low in the window, preferrably serrated.

For RMR get a manually adjustable model.

For Holosun there are a lot of options. 507 is the standard which allows you to select between a 2MOA dot or 32MOA circle or both. 407 is cheaper but has just the 2moa dot. Personally I like the 407CO which has an 8MOA "ring" that is the only reticle I can see crisply with my astigmatism.

Well, the manufacturers you mentioned are both good ones, with the edge, IMO, going to the RMR2 for durability(and an American company). You did not mention if the pistols are optic ready. If they are, then Ameriglo has a chart for sight height relative to optic in their downloadable catalog.
    Personally, I’ve had positive experiences with both-so, why not both?
    Again, JMO, but an RMR2 on one and Holosun 507s on the others. I prefer the dot only, but others like the other options.
    Both manufacturers share the same footprint, so there’s that.
    My preference is for enclosed emitters, a la Aimpoint ACRO and Holosun 509T, but I would not feel under equipped with what you mentioned. Respectfully, you should search here for mounting procedures and please consider some instruction-life will be easier.

Site Supporter
    RM07 is the model # I'd pick (and have twice).

All slides will be milled. I am especially interested to hear from anyone who has a red dot on their 1911 (Mine is a Dan Wesson, Vigil, Commander in 45acp) Thanks for your assistance, I really appreciate it.

Assuming an RMR (a popular choice) and a HS 507c (another solid option), these MRDS have slightly different features:

RMR

- Bottom loading CR2032 battery (must remove optic to swap battery)
    - Manual mode has 8 brightness settings, 1 and 2 are NV compatible
    - Auto mode ranges from setting 3 to 7
    - Optic reverts to automatic illumination after 16.5 hours
    - Available in a 3.25 or 6.5 MOA dot only.

507c

- Top side solar panel extends battery life
    - Side loading CR1632 battery (do not need to remove optic to swap battery)
    - Selectable 32 MOA circle only, 2 MOA dot only, or 32 MOA circle+2 MOA dot
    - 10 daylight settings (2 are NV compatible)
    - Controls cycle from Auto to Manual to Lockout

Both use the RMR footprint.

Using Brownell's as a guide to pricing, an 892-000-321WB RMR RM06 3.25 MOA Red Dot Sight (there's a bunch of models to pick from) is $489. A 100-043-425WB HS507C-X2 2 MOA Red Circle Dot Sight (507c) runs $309, or $180 less than the RMR.

Aaron Cowan / Sage Dynamics "White Paper: Miniaturized Red Dot Systems for Duty Handgun Use, Fourth Edition (2021)" is a good source of information on learning about red dots:

https://1312bba5-e7e7-76e8-1fca-a01b...bb23e912fa.pdf

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Don't forget Swampfox. They also use the RMR footprint. I've got a Justice and it's been great. Sample of one and all. If I was just buying one optic, it'd be a Trijicon. If I was buying three and cost was a factor, I'd have no problem getting a Swampfox.

For BUIS, a GLOCK MOS uses .395" sights (measured above the slide), and most milled slides use .315". Plus or minus .005" shouldn't matter. Couldn't say what the M&P or DW requires.

Quote Originally Posted by Street Survival View Post
    Gentlemen,

I have a question for the red dot "sage shooters" out there. I am looking to purchase red dots for the following 3 firearms, Glock, Model 45, 9mm, M&P 45acp with 4" barrel and Dan Wesson 1911, Commander size, 45acp. The red dots can be Holosun or Trijicon RMR. Exact models would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you know the size back up sights to get for each model?*** Thank You in advance for your assistance.
    Not enough info.

Are these your guns?

Are you going to have them milled?

How will they be carried (uniform OWB or concealed)?

PMO's come down to preference and eyeball shape. Depending on your astigmatism/vision you may like a larger dot or a smaller dot. You may like green or red.

If it's for you then you may want to get an optic for one gun (say the Glock) first to play with and see what you like or dislike. Most shops will mill an RMR-footprint for around $100 (don't bother getting the slide refinished) which will fit both the Trijicon RMR and the Holosun 507c and 508t.

If you are carrying the gun exposed in a uniform you may want to consider a closed emitter like the Holosun 509t.

My current duty gun at work is a Gen3 Glock 17 milled for an RMR footprint with an RM07 Type 2 and Ameriglo backup iron sights.

Not enough info. . .
    Agreed.

Start slow, and I'd suggest with the Glock because it's so versatile. It's also the simplest to get started and if you end of not liking it, it'll be easiest to put back to normal.

I prefer Holosun optics over the RMR, but to each their own. The 507c has multiple reticle choices (I prefer the circle only) and side loading battery tray so you don't have to R&R and rezero the optic every year.

If I had the choice I'd spend the extra to mill for a plate system, such as Agency AOS. In the case of your 1911, I'd look into the Chambers RDSM. This will allow you to tinker and update as technology improves.

If you choose to direct mill without a plate system, there's a bunch of good shops. Vulcan Machine Works here in Plano, TX can do all three. I've heard good things about Maple Leaf and several others.
    David S.

User Tag List