Page 69 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Springfield Armory bringing the Hi Power back?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Mr Browning and Msr Saive didn't put no stinkin' little coil spring in a hole in the first place; that was a bean counter change years later.
    Dagone, I never knew that. But I guess it happened when I was about 3yo...

Site Supporter
    Over the years I have observed that some companies fail at making reliable magazines for very common pistols. If cloning a box that works is so difficult, why is anyone surprised that a so called cloned pistol is really not a true clone?

None of this is surprising really... how many manufacturers (at least in most of their models) make guns that work fine and for a long time right out of the box?
    Specially with "affordable" guns that are made with traditional materials and designs?
    And in the first year of production??

We are mostly in an era of "hobby" guns... We buy many of them, and tinker with them, needed or not. Sending a new gun to a gunsmith or having to replace parts from the beginning is seen as a normal thing.

Most guns are bougth out of nostalgia, looks, to add volume of variety to a collection or simply to try new things, even if we know no real practical improvement will likely result out of this.

We are not expecting serious, hard use or professional grade guns anymore for most purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Over the years I have observed that some companies fail at making reliable magazines for very common pistols. If cloning a box that works is so difficult, why is anyone surprised that a so called cloned pistol is really not a true clone?
    I'll be damned if old man Willie doesn't make a lot sense right here.

I will say one thing, reading this thread has for the most part dampened any urge I had to buy one of these, at least anytime in the immediate future. Give Springfield Armory a couple of years,and maybe they’ll get the bugs worked out, but the last thing I’m going to do is buy one of these and then have to send it off to get worked on just to get it to work correctly.

Site Supporter
    About 16-17 years ago another well known company hired a Turkey manufacturer to clone the CZ 75. They didn't get that right either. I had two. My opinion is that extractor and magazine issues cause most pistol malfunctions. There are millions of BHP mags in the universe. And somebody designed a BHP clone that won't accept them? I don't understand why the extractor and safety issues exist.

During WW2 the Chinese manufactured Thompson submachine gun clones by using an example given them. They copied the serial number also because every single gun had that same number stamped on the receiver.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    During WW2 the Chinese manufactured Thompson submachine gun clones by using an example given them. They copied the serial number also because every single gun had that same number stamped on the receiver.
    That sounds like the story I heard about the Russians copying the B-29 to make the Tu-4. Supposedly there was a place on one of the wings spars where is somebody in the factory had accidentally drilled a hole. All of the Tu-4s had the same hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    That sounds like the story I heard about the Russians copying the B-29 to make the Tu-4. Supposedly there was a place on one of the wings spars where is somebody in the factory had accidentally drilled a hole. All of the Tu-4s had the same hole.
    The hole in the wing spar is likely a tooling hole. Which means the Soviets not only had blueprints for the airframe, but the tooling as well.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    I will say one thing, reading this thread has for the most part dampened any urge I had to buy one of these, at least anytime in the immediate future. Give Springfield Armory a couple of years,and maybe they’ll get the bugs worked out, but the last thing I’m going to do is buy one of these and then have to send it off to get worked on just to get it to work correctly.
    Yeah me too. If one sucked vs the two excellent Mk III's I loved and lost I don't know what I might do.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    The hole in the wing spar is likely a tooling hole. Which means the Soviets not only had blueprints for the airframe, but the tooling as well.
    They didn't. Three B-29s made forced/emergency/precautionary landings in Soviet territory during the war. The engineers at Tupolev completely disassembled one of them.
    Last edited by Stephanie B; 12-14-2021 at 01:52 PM.

User Tag List