Page 64 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Springfield Armory bringing the Hi Power back?

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    I don't know if I've mentioned this in this thread yet, but I really think Mec-Gar needs to offer their Hi Power mags in the following configurations:

1. 15 round, anti-friction tube coating, standard metal or polymer baseplate
    2. 17 round, anti-friction tube coating, drop protection system polymer floorplate (+2)
    3. 13 round, anti-friction tube coating, mousetrap mag ejection system

Mec-Gar is already the pinnacle of Browning mags, but with these simple tweaks, they'd be elevated to the same status as their 18/20 round Beretta mags.

I'm sure if the Hi Power market catches up, this might happen, but it would be nice sooner rather than later.
    10 round mousetrap!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    As Elwin noted, there is a market and desire for a single action double stack 9mm that isn't a 2011.

Hell, if CZ would produce a SAO version of the P07, they could probably make a killing.
    I know I'm in that market.

I would be interested in a single-action 9mm without tuning and fussing. And "handgasm" is not a bad description of how the Hi Power feels to me.

But if I have to start fixing it right out of the box, pass. A pistol that feeds reliably always feels better than one that chokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Edster View Post
    I know I'm in that market.
    I would be interested in a single-action 9mm without tuning and fussing. And "handgasm" is not a bad description of how the Hi Power feels to me.
    But if I have to start fixing it right out of the box, pass. A pistol that feeds reliably always feels better than one that chokes.
    It's easy money. Take a P07. Simplify the action by taking the Crunchin bits out and just leave the ticker bits in. Make sure that the safety is good and positive.
    Hell, make the slide & frame look a bit more JMB and slap "Colt" on it.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    It's easy money. Take a P07. Simplify the action by taking the Crunchin bits out and just leave the ticker bits in. Make sure that the safety is good and positive.
    Hell, make the slide & frame look a bit more JMB and slap "Colt" on it.
    Since CZ owns Colt now, this isn't unpossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Edster View Post
    Shooters are, I guess, an interesting group. While I don’t think it is too much to ask for a company to produce a pistol that works out right out of the box, we seem to be a little schizophrenic about things at times. ItÂ’s my understanding that it is quite common for folks to buy a CZ pistol (for more than the asking price of the SA-35) and then dump another few hundred bucks of CGW parts into it - and be thrilled. To be fair, the CZs seem to run right out of the box without the *need* for CGW parts. And/or, we think nothing of plunking down several hundred bucks for an AR and then bolting on hundreds of dollars of accessories (when you include optics/mounts) and upgrading the small bits - and we are giddy. But then we turn around and balk at having to touch up a pistol like the SA-35 whose price point, while not a budget affair, still isn’t astronomical. [I will say again, that this thing should run out of the box and Springfield needs to fix that.]

BH Springs has already put together a kit to address the extraction issues and upgrade the FP spring and sear lever for a hundred bucks. That should get you in the game. If we want to throw another couple hundo at it, we can start to really improve the performance of the pistol. At that point, we would be in this pistol for something like a grand, but it should be pretty nice. I havenÂ’t gone out an looked around, but my understanding is that legacy Hi Powers are going for at least $1,000 - and you are generally talking about a pistol that is stock (but one that should run).

So while it is disappointing and frustrating that Springfield couldn’t get these right right out of the gate, they do seem to (as has been said) provide a pathway for those who desire to get into a SA 9mm a way to do so - for not an exorbitant amount of money. No, we should not have to dump more money into a brand new pistol to make it right (and perhaps Springfield will both fix any problems with existing pistols and correct the issues as production chugs along) - but I am still glad that the option exists.

One great thing about the times we live in is that at least there are fewer surprises nowadays. I remember about 20 years ago buying a new pistol for $1,000 and it took a dump pretty quickly. I think I sent back to the factory twice before trading it off. It was running when I traded it, but it left a bad taste and I never really trusted it. That one kind of stung. At least now, if you are paying attention, you can know what you are getting into.

I think I am going to delay jumping into the SA-35 for a bit in hopes that Springfield will correct the problems. But when I do hold my nose and make the jump, I will do so with the intention of shooting the thing until it fails (which will hopefully be several hundred rounds in - not inside the first mag), and being prepared to sending it back to SA at that point; but maybe just dumping some BH Springs upgrades in it - depending on what is going on with it. This may be a horrible plan, but the Hi Power is quite attractive and I would like to have a nice, functional specimen.
    Last edited by Tensaw; 12-08-2021 at 07:10 AM.
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    Shooters are, I guess, an interesting group. While I don’t think it is too much to ask for a company to produce a pistol that works out right out of the box, we seem to be a little schizophrenic about things at times. ItÂ’s my understanding that it is quite common for folks to buy a CZ pistol (for more than the asking price of the SA-35) and then dump another few hundred bucks of CGW parts into it - and be thrilled. To be fair, the CZs seem to run right out of the box without the *need* for CGW parts. And/or, we think nothing of plunking down several hundred bucks for an AR and then bolting on hundreds of dollars of accessories (when you include optics/mounts) and upgrading the small bits - and we are giddy. But then we turn around and balk at having to touch up a pistol like the SA-35 whose price point, while not a budget affair, still isn’t astronomical. [I will say again, that this thing should run out of the box and Springfield needs to fix that.]

BH Springs has already put together a kit to address the extraction issues and upgrade the FP spring and sear lever for a hundred bucks. That should get you in the game. If we want to throw another couple hundo at it, we can start to really improve the performance of the pistol. At that point, we would be in this pistol for something like a grand, but it should be pretty nice. I havenÂ’t gone out an looked around, but my understanding is that legacy Hi Powers are going for at least $1,000 - and you are generally talking about a pistol that is stock (but one that should run).

So while it is disappointing and frustrating that Springfield couldn’t get these right right out of the gate, they do seem to (as has been said) provide a pathway for those who desire to get into a SA 9mm a way to do so - for not an exorbitant amount of money. No, we should not have to dump more money into a brand new pistol to make it right (and perhaps Springfield will both fix any problems with existing pistols and correct the issues as production chugs along) - but I am still glad that the option exists.

One great thing about the times we live in is that at least there are fewer surprises nowadays. I remember about 20 years ago buying a new pistol for $1,000 and it took a dump pretty quickly. I think I sent back to the factory twice before trading it off. It was running when I traded it, but it left a bad taste and I never really trusted it. That one kind of stung. At least now, if you are paying attention, you can know what you are getting into.

I think I am going to delay jumping into the SA-35 for a bit in hopes that Springfield will correct the problems. But when I do hold my nose and make the jump, I will do so with the intention of shooting the thing until it fails (which will hopefully be several hundred rounds in - not inside the first mag), and being prepared to sending it back to SA at that point; but maybe just dumping some BH Springs upgrades in it - depending on what is going on with it. This may be a horrible plan, but the Hi Power is quite attractive and I would like to have a nice, functional specimen.
    I think there's a difference between buying something that works and then adding on your favorite doodads vs buying something that doesn't work and spending money on fixing. True, you're throwing money at it either way but one reason is because you have to the other is because you want to.

Also, accessories aren't the same thing as the functioning parts. An AR will work just fine without a handguard or an optics mount.

That being said I never understood the idea of buying a perfectly normal firearm and then dumping money for no reason into doodads. I used to work with a guy who ordered a Zev Glock then bought another custom Glock but throwing thousands of dollars into Glocks he still couldn't shoot them any better than a stock $500 off the shelf Glock.
    When asked about rails/triggers/sights/stocks/grips...blah blah blah... I always reply with "why?" Seems to throw people off a little. I usually don't buy a firearm if it isn't already the way I want it (few exceptions) and when I do buy an accessory it's because I found the one I NEEDED.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    When asked about rails/triggers/sights/stocks/grips...blah blah blah... I always reply with "why?" Seems to throw people off a little. I usually don't buy a firearm if it isn't already the way I want it
    Or the alternative approach is to start with a receiver instead of a rifle...
    I did this with a bicycle also. I bought a frame/fork set and rather than replacing stuff I just bought what I wanted

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I did this with a bicycle also. I bought a frame/fork set and rather than replacing stuff I just bought what I wanted
    I don't do that either. Whatever happens I want a warranty. I don't want to bother diagnosing, I just want to shoot. In a perfect world I would have an armorer who would do everything to make sure all I had to do was pull the trigger. I don't even want to touch cleaning supplies

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I did it with a bike. I do it with ARs. I may yet do it with a motorcycle.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List