Page 4 of 81 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Springfield Armory bringing the Hi Power back?

Site Supporter
    If they're actually building Hi-Powers... I'm definitely "interested in learning more." Hell, maybe they're bringing them in from Belgium/Portugal. Or maybe FN sold them the machines/tooling or whatever the appropriate term for factory stuff that builds guns is.

But I think there's a decent chance they'll be re-branded FEGs, Tisas, or whatever that newer Turkish option is (Hi Power clones were also made by Arcus in Bulgaria and FM in Argentina). In which case... meh. If I wanted one of those, I'd just buy it from the country who made it. Nothing against those guns, but it just doesn't "real thing-y" enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    What the hell, I entered the contest.
    Same here. I never liked the Hi Power, but I could like a freebie.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    What the hell, I entered the contest.
    I entered it too and then I wondered; do they provide band aids for hammer bite or do we need to buy our own?

I also wondered if we have to yell "Grip Zone" while we shoot?

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    If they did a forged P35 along the lines of the Mil-Spec 1911, I’d have to get one, and send it to C&S for a tune. Because, reasons.
    The later Mk II/III were cast frames were they not? I used to correspond with Stephen Camp back in the day re HiPowers and I IIRC he was very high on the cast frames as well. I've no idea either way but forged sounds better.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    The later Mk II/III were cast frames were they not? I used to correspond with Stephen Camp back in the day re HiPowers and I IIRC he was very high on the cast frames as well. I've no idea either way but forged sounds better.
    I think they started using a heavier cast frame to deal with the .40 S&W. I had a .40 Mk III back when.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    The cast frames were much tougher/stronger. There's a LOT of machining that goes on to make a P35 frame, and the steels used were relatively soft so the tooling would last...hence they would shoot out of tolerance pretty quickly if you were, say, practicing for IPSC and etc (there's a reason they weren't huge in gun gaming...from what I've read anyway; I don't game so I have no first hand knowledge)

The cast frames came about because .40 guns were battering themselves into serious frame distortion...the cast frame withstood the beating much better.

I pretty deliberately went out of my way to find a later cast frame BHP to have Novak work over for me, because of all the things that could happen to it...I didn't want me shooting it, to screw up the frame if I should use it for high round counts.

%99 of the time, a cast frame is not desirable in a gun (1911s, etc)...in BHPs though, it's the other way around..

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    If they're actually building Hi-Powers... I'm definitely "interested in learning more." Hell, maybe they're bringing them in from Belgium/Portugal. Or maybe FN sold them the machines/tooling or whatever the appropriate term for factory stuff that builds guns is.

But I think there's a decent chance they'll be re-branded FEGs, Tisas, or whatever that newer Turkish option is (Hi Power clones were also made by Arcus in Bulgaria and FM in Argentina). In which case... meh. If I wanted one of those, I'd just buy it from the country who made it. Nothing against those guns, but it just doesn't "real thing-y" enough for me.
    One advantage would be robust stateside warranty and service.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I like the P35. It's narrow, the grip fits my hand. Very easy to conceal, I think because the slide is so narrow. The spur hammer is a huge improvement over the ring hammer, in terms of preventing hammer bite. Wish the thumb safety had a spring loaded detent like the 1911. If they lose the magazine disconnect, give it Novak sight cuts, and ship it with 15 round magazines, they might sell a lot of them.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    One advantage would be robust stateside warranty and service.

True, but I still hope it’s made here. A new production USA made Hi-Power with a few improvements (mainly a high quality TS) would be nice.

Cool. I doubt I'll buy one anytime soon but maybe someday.

The 4 Springfield 1911s I've owned have been very good.

User Tag List