Page 60 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Springfield Armory bringing the Hi Power back?

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Another youtu.be review. This from Brownell's:

https://youtu.be/bvHGqN2qafE

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Thank you, I really enjoyed that. I've never watched a Brownell's video before that one. I don't know who that young man is but he did a nice job with that. I'm just crossing fingers now that most don't hate him like Joe Buck.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Thank you, I really enjoyed that. I've never watched a Brownell's video before that one. I don't know who that young man is but he did a nice job with that. I'm just crossing fingers now that most don't hate him like Joe Buck.
    Well. one might suspect that Caleb Savant climbed to the position as a Brownell's tech guru on the shoulders of his mother, Marilyn vos Savant, so like Buck he faces the specter of accusations of nepotism throughout his career.

(Just kidding - mom isnt MvS)
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    Guys, I don't know if this has been mentioned or not. This design was developed back when everything was put together and HAND FITTED in order to work properly. I see this as no surprise that there are massive problems as you cannot simply 'manufacture' using modern tooling this style of gun which was EXPECTED to be hand fitted. Surely, you could buy one and then have a competent gunsmith 'fix' it for you but to what end? Is the design that fantastic that there are not better options out there which are designed from the ground up to be manufactured by modern machinery? Seems lower end 1911's have the same problems, not because they are 'cheap' per se... but they are simply not built by hand but rather ASSEMBLED from a bunch of parts which are not carefully checked and modified for fit before leaving the 'factory'.
    I have to disagree with this. My understanding is that 1911s were built using parts that were gauged, not fitted. So they rattled, but they functioned. I'm guessing that you could disassembled a thousand 1911s, put their parts into component bins, mixed them up, reassembled them and they'd work.

The issue with 1911s is that when people started accurizing them, they began running into problems.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    You're more than 200 years late to Eli Whitney's party, dude.
    I always like to point out that aircraft jet engines and automotive engines that go 200k are assembled without fitting. I am pretty sure the firearms industry is more like a sharp stick and a rock than we would like to think. Terms like "blueprinting" rifle actions only infers they were not built to specification, or that the specified tolerance was generous.

OTOH, I always liked this video:
    https://youtu.be/VkvFtlTEuSc

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    (Just kidding - mom isnt MvS)
    I was already searching. I am such a putz...

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I have to disagree with this. My understanding is that 1911s were built using parts that were gauged, not fitted. So they rattled, but they functioned. I'm guessing that you could disassembled a thousand 1911s, put their parts into component bins, mixed them up, reassembled them and they'd work.

The issue with 1911s is that when people started accurizing them, they began running into problems.
    This is correct. Going in to WWII, when 1911 manufacturing was apportioned to multiple manufacturers enlisted in the war effort, specs were such that parts from each manufacturer were put through mixed-and-match tests to ensure interchangeability and function.

Before post-war competition shooting turned the 1911 into a tuner's tool, it was very much the Glock of its day.
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

Another youtu.be review. This from Brownell's:

https://youtu.be/bvHGqN2qafE

Excellent video. Thanks for sharing.
    Paraphrasing Wyatt Earp: The first shot is twice as important as the second shot, the 2nd shot is twice as important as the 3rd shot, the 3rd shot is twice as important as the 4th shot, the 4th shot is twice as important as the 5th shot…

Internet rumor is that Garand Thumb will post a review Sunday.

Internet rumor is that Garand Thumb will post a review Sunday.

That should be worthwhile, both because his content is definitely better than most of the dreck on Youtube and because he has some experience with and fondness for Hi Powers.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I was already searching. I am such a putz...
    I'm pretty much that way myself.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

User Tag List