Page 59 of 81 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Springfield Armory bringing the Hi Power back?

Short look,a few rounds at range demo day:

The SA35 has good factory sights except for the current fad of a U notch.
    The thumb safety is just right for me.
    The trigger is not really light but is lighter than the last FN I shot. It is rather creepy; maybe you could polish it up and call it a "roll trigger."
    The front strap is indeed broad and smooth, you have no expectation of steel checkering on a sub $700 gun, I would just apply grip tape.
    The finish is a very matte blue-gray. Again, the price can't cover a nice polish.

If they want to sponsor Team Mediocre with one, I want a fibre optic front sight, trigger tune, Talon tape on front strap.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    My son texted me these videos shot in the gun store today where he works. A new Hi Power that just came in.

I have no dog in the fight.

Isn't dropping the slide on an empty chamber a bad thing?
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Obviously. It causes the magazine to fall out.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    It is on 1911s, it makes stuff bounce around inside. I don't know if it applies to High Powers.

The seventh in the BH Springs Solutions series wherein they evaluate the SA 35. BLUF: the SA 35 is not without some things to be addressed, but it appears to be a solid base from which to build a competent Hi Power. The guy reminds us that not very long ago, when you purchased a pistol for serious use, it was going to require some attention from a gunsmith to get it reliable. The Hi Power is a pistol from that era. If you want a modern, plastic fantastic, those are easily had. This is heavy metal.

https://youtu.be/oLr99NEc9pY
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

What? Early examples of a gun that only just hit the market aren't perfect? This is my shocked face. /s
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Finally got to handle one today and it surpassed my expectations. Better trigger pull and reset than any FN or Browning Hi-Power I've owned or handled with the exception of a Nighthawk, which is no longer in production and costs 3x as much. Good sights, and the safety felt better than any I've handled. Better than the old, tiny factory, better than the last OEM ambi safety, better than the custom safeties I've tried. And it actually had a click to it as opposed to the mush that is common. When I get one, probably next month, I don't see a need to add any custom parts or tweak it in any fashion. It is the first factory standard gun that I can remember didn't need something done to it. The only thing I have yet to try is shooting it and deciding if the accuracy and reliability is satisfactory. Also, I tugged on the magazine and it didn't pull free from the gun unless the mag release was pressed. So I surmise the earlier problem was the result of a defect in the release.

Another youtu.be review. This from Brownell's:

https://youtu.be/bvHGqN2qafE

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Guys, I don't know if this has been mentioned or not. This design was developed back when everything was put together and HAND FITTED in order to work properly. I see this as no surprise that there are massive problems as you cannot simply 'manufacture' using modern tooling this style of gun which was EXPECTED to be hand fitted. Surely, you could buy one and then have a competent gunsmith 'fix' it for you but to what end? Is the design that fantastic that there are not better options out there which are designed from the ground up to be manufactured by modern machinery? Seems lower end 1911's have the same problems, not because they are 'cheap' per se... but they are simply not built by hand but rather ASSEMBLED from a bunch of parts which are not carefully checked and modified for fit before leaving the 'factory'.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    Guys, I don't know if this has been mentioned or not. This design was developed back when everything was put together and HAND FITTED in order to work properly. I see this as no surprise that there are massive problems as you cannot simply 'manufacture' using modern tooling this style of gun which was EXPECTED to be hand fitted. Surely, you could buy one and then have a competent gunsmith 'fix' it for you but to what end? Is the design that fantastic that there are not better options out there which are designed from the ground up to be manufactured by modern machinery? Seems lower end 1911's have the same problems, not because they are 'cheap' per se... but they are simply not built by hand but rather ASSEMBLED from a bunch of parts which are not carefully checked and modified for fit before leaving the 'factory'.
    You're more than 200 years late to Eli Whitney's party, dude.

Engineer tolerances that work, build parts to those tolerances. Assemble and rock on. That's all hand fitting is, except that you're doing it one at a time without knowing what all the numbers are. Way cheaper and easier for the first one. Stupid expensive to do 10k and impossible to do 1M that way.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List