Page 56 of 81 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Springfield Armory bringing the Hi Power back?

How about a description without reference to original FNs and other copies?

It is made out of plain, rust prone steel, no advantage taken of modern polymers, alloys, or stainless steel, or even a more resistant finish than bluing.
    Although it looks like a conventional pistol with the trigger positioned for DA/SA operation, it is really SAO, requiring that the hammer be cocked in a manner which bystanders are likely to find frightening.
    There are no passive automatic safety features, requiring the operator to remember to engage and then disengage a manual lever.
    The controls only operate from one side of the gun, plainly biased against the sinister fraction of the population.
    There is no accessory rail to mount a searchlight or laser or bayonet on.

It almost seems as though the designers were living in the pre-modern age of 90 years ago.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post

It is made out of plain, rust prone steel, no advantage taken of modern polymers, alloys, or stainless steel, or even a more resistant finish than bluing.
    Although it looks like a conventional pistol with the trigger positioned for DA/SA operation, it is really SAO, requiring that the hammer be cocked in a manner which bystanders are likely to find frightening.
    There are no passive automatic safety features, requiring the operator to remember to engage and then disengage a manual lever.
    The controls only operate from one side of the gun, plainly biased against the sinister fraction of the population.

It almost seems as though the designers were living in the pre-modern age of 90 years ago.
    sounds like an awesome design, unless you're worried about frightening bystanders.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    It it is sourced from Turkey, then why not buy a Girsan from EAA and save over $200?
    I don't think I have ever read a positive customer service comment about EAA.
    So to me, the question would be; is $200 worth not dealing with EAA?

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    I don't think I have ever read a positive customer service comment about EAA.
    So to me, the question would be; is $200 worth not dealing with EAA?
    There is that. Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    For myself, there are two reasons I’d rather have the Springer. First, I don’t know if the EEA import has the modification to the hammer to eliminate hammer bite. Second, as a vet, I can get the SA35 for $541 and there is a Springfield approved shop nearby.
    Springfield offers military discounts? This is rapidly becoming an inevitable thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Interesting (but honestly not surprising) that the sight dovetails are Turkish. I had a sneaking suspicion these might be sourced from Turkey given the shape of the ejection port and barrel bushing.

Is that a bad thing?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    I don't know if it is a bad thing or not, Turkish made firearms are becoming more commonplace, apparently with varying degrees of quality.

As for his remarks that the rear sight dovetail was too big and you can not add metal: Coincidentally I have an FN HP that I sent off to have Heinie Straight 8's installed. The pistolsmith (well known to members of this forum) called me and told me that he had broken one of his shop rules and was talking with someone while he was setting up to cut the dovetail in my slide and cut my slide with a Novak dovetail. He welded the slide and cut the proper, Heinie, dovetail and treated me okay on the package, I was happy.

So you can add metal if need be.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    Springfield offers military discounts? This is rapidly becoming an inevitable thing.
    Found on Springfield's site:

Military personnel including Reservists and National Guard with I.D; also includes retired military with “retired” credentials (military picture ID front & back), and honorably discharged veterans with DD214 and driver’s license. (excludes contractors and civilian employees)
    I guess drafted during Vietnam finally has an advantage for me.
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

Just for info, ref. Post 541's linked Youtube video, the talk about sight dovetail cuts come on at ~18:30 of the video should anybody want to go directly there.

The BH video said he "think(s)" they are the same cut, along with the sights of the Tisas Hi-Power version. Whether this means the slide is from Turkey is still unknown, but it can be construed as evidence toward, at least, the slide possibly being from Turkey.

There could be a few (maybe even a myriad) reasons why a Tisas sight dovetail cut looks to be the same/similar to the SA35 sight cuts. To me, it doesn't much matter where Springfield is getting its parts. Perhaps a designer at Springfield just made a decision to cut the sight dovetails like those on the Tisas. This evidence might be more convincing if someone saw crates marked from Turkey being unloaded in Geneseo IL; or there was some inscription of some of the parts saying "made in 'Turkiye'", or just something else to go along with just the sight cuts, but nothing further on this matter, so far.

I'll go back to following the various threads on the SA35. I haven't decided to get one yet.

Site Supporter

Actually JMB was ahead of his time...
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Site Supporter

Actually JMB was ahead of his time...
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

User Tag List