Page 27 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Springfield Armory bringing the Hi Power back?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    Non, no. Sans the mag safety, the mags will fall out like gravity still works. No mouse traps needed. Trust me, i have a few dozen of each.
    I had Karl Sokol slick up an Aluminum frame for me. Turned out all business.

For some reason, I bought a number of the nickel-plated MecGar 15-round magazines to go with Aluminum frame. The slippery nature of the nickel makes them shoot out almost as authoritatively as my mousetrap spring mags.

I am normally something of a Springfield hater, but it looks like Springfield really knocked it out of the park on this one.

American made, steel, classy and checkered grips, understated rollmarks, and under $700, not sure what else you could ask for.

If I were in the market for a retro fun gun in 9mm I think this would win out over a classic style CZ75, which I think of as an advanced Hi Power.

Site Supporter
    My unqualified opinion is that Imbel arsenal will provide unfinished forged frames and slides that Springfield Armory will complete in their US factory. So in the broad sense, they will be made up in America. If Springfield Armory controls quality of other parts by manufacturing them in their factory and not outsourcing, then they very well might be able to produce a high quality BHP copy. The BHP has the longest reset of any pistol that I ever shot. That mattered little to me but will drive some people nuts.

Also the BHP has an extremely heavy hammer spring to control slide velocity of its light slide. Springfield too will have this same need. The proposed offering sounds great, but we must remember there is no free lunch. BHP's are complicated pistols. Making them run will not be a simple task.

Am I the only member here who prefers the highpower's magazine safety? When we traveled with children and stayed in motels, I removed the highpower's magazine and kept it on my person. Then I secured the pistol. Inserting the mag would make it hot again.

In my example of one sans mag safety, the Inglis 13rnd mags with the matte finish tended to be sticky, and the blue Mecgar 15rnd mags dropped just fine.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Am I the only member here who prefers the highpower's magazine safety? When we traveled with children and stayed in motels, I removed the highpower's magazine and kept it on my person. Then I secured the pistol. Inserting the mag would make it hot again.
    Agreed on many of your points. One thing that has me exited with SFIs entry into the BHP world is the prospect of them being able to elevate the pistol to the “factory custom” level. In doing so, maybe they will be able to address some of the issues you brought up.

Regarding magazine disconnects - they have been debated here many times and I can certainly see their benefits in examples like you described. I think however the main issue with the BHPs mag disconnect is not it’s intended function rather it is how it was implemented and what it does to the trigger pull. Add to that the possible legal ramifications for “deactivating a safety” if this pistol is used for serious use and it really makes it a serious problem for the pistol. I’m very glad SFI has addressed this.

Site Supporter
    Stephen Camp’s “Perfect Hi Power” has a lot of similarities to the Springfield product as described. https://hipowersandhandguns.com/PerfectHiPower.htm

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Agreed on many of your points. One thing that has me exited with SFIs entry into the BHP world is the prospect of them being able to elevate the pistol to the “factory custom” level. In doing so, maybe they will be able to address some of the issues you brought up.

Regarding magazine disconnects - they have been debated here many times and I can certainly see their benefits in examples like you described. I think however the main issue with the BHPs mag disconnect is not it’s intended function rather it is how it was implemented and what it does to the trigger pull. Add to that the possible legal ramifications for “deactivating a safety” if this pistol is used for serious use and it really makes it a serious problem for the pistol. I’m very glad SFI has addressed this.
    I agree that SA should omit the magazine disconnect for the reasons you gave. Also I hope that they make these in such fashion that they can go from the box into the holster without need of further refining. To me it would make little sense to buy this model and then spend money on custom finishes and other work. My other comment is that I hope that they can fit the extractor properly. The other SA pistols that I owned had extractor problems.

Over the years I would read that 13 round HP mags functioned better when loaded with 12. Thus don't add a bullet after loading chamber. I never had problems with these mags. Mostly I used the HP as a field companion and house gun. Once I got to shoot a friend's custom HP. Among other things it had a Bar Sto barrel extended about 1/2 inch and Magna Ported.

I may dislike the XD line. But have always had great luck with their US made 1911s. Better than other brands that’s for sure. I am damn stoked about this. One pistol that has always been on my bucket list but could never justify buying a imported one.

Wonder if the custom shop is tooled up on sweetening these up some too.

Have a lightly worked over mil spec 1911 and one of these. Be a hell of a pairing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    My unqualified opinion is that Imbel arsenal will provide unfinished forged frames and slides that Springfield Armory will complete in their US factory. So in the broad sense, they will be made up in America. If Springfield Armory controls quality of other parts by manufacturing them in their factory and not outsourcing, then they very well might be able to produce a high quality BHP copy. The BHP has the longest reset of any pistol that I ever shot. That mattered little to me but will drive some people nuts.

Also the BHP has an extremely heavy hammer spring to control slide velocity of its light slide. Springfield too will have this same need. The proposed offering sounds great, but we must remember there is no free lunch. BHP's are complicated pistols. Making them run will not be a simple task.

The reset issue once I started into Glocks and phasing back to 1911s in the '90's is what led me to rationalize dumping my Mk IIIs. That was foolish but years before I appreciated the hardware vs software distinction. And I thought then the be all end all to fancy shooting was a lightening fast "hammer" for two shots. I mean what the hell was my logic? I was still employing J frames and K frames.

Mine had the mag disconnect and I was totally agnostic either way as mine had very workable triggers and the mags ejected fine. I don't recall using the mag disconnect as a layered safety but I used that hammer spring - the Condition 3 pistol was placed bedside for some years when there were wee ones (newborns through toddlers) sleeping.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I’m gonna have to fondle one first, but at that MSRP along with them not making the gun look like shit….

I may have to try the HP life again, just because.

User Tag List