Page 9 of 81 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Springfield Armory bringing the Hi Power back?

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    All you people wanting a rail on a Hi-Power must be smoking crack or something.

One thing the BHP brings is a service weapon that is thin, svelte, classy, and elegant. The embodiment of "An elegant weapon, from a more civilized age."
    Look at some of the examples here and in the gallery section. Putting a 1913 rail on one would make as much sense as a pair of truck nutz. The only possible contender would be the old Dawson rail, but if you need a fat-assed flashlight mounted to your pistola, there are plenty of suitable candidates on the market.

I guess the Hi-Power is like coffee......if you don't get it, I can't explain it to you.
    That’s a fact, Jack!

I wound up with an early 60's Belgium produced example with internal extractor, but with the mag safety deleted, NP3 coated slide, and modern sights.
    I did find the safety to be on the small side, and the hammer to be a bit bitey, but a 'no bite' hammer & extended safety from C&S cured both those problems.
    The other was a sharp edge on the Mecgar mags, but the Beretta 92 baseplate hack fixed that.

And it is a super easy gun to carry & shoot.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Regarding the hammer bite issue. The low thumb grip, as Mas describes below, mitigates that a lot.

I know it was discussed on here before, but my PF google-fu is weak. I get it if someone doesn't wish to go that route. Also, if your hands are big and meaty, I get how that could be a problem, too.

Mas talks about the BHP here @ ~ 9:24.

"It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I wound up with an early 60's Belgium produced example with internal extractor, but with the mag safety deleted, NP3 coated slide, and modern sights.
    I did find the safety to be on the small side, and the hammer to be a bit bitey, but a 'no bite' hammer & extended safety from C&S cured both those problems.
    The other was a sharp edge on the Mecgar mags, but the Beretta 92 baseplate hack fixed that.

And it is a super easy gun to carry & shoot.
    The rear corners of the baseplates are sharp, and will start tearing up a shirt in short order. Wes' 1/2 body shields mitigate the issue.

https://www.privateerleather.com/mag-carriers

The Hi-Power really works well for those who need a smaller grip circumference and shorter trigger reach. It also falls square into the Passion of the Gun thing. They just have a soul, not unlike DB's gunfighting revolvers.

Personally, I like a slightly heavier trigger. I like DAO triggers. I think the P320's trigger is way too light...for my comfort, anyway. NP3 on the factory magazines helped with the smoothness of the trigger pull with the mag safety still intact.
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 10-20-2021 at 09:22 PM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

One thing the BHP brings is a service weapon that is thin, svelte, classy, and elegant. The embodiment of "An elegant weapon, from a more civilized age."
    Look at some of the examples here and in the gallery section. Putting a 1913 rail on one would make as much sense as a pair of truck nutz. The only possible contender would be the old Dawson rail, but if you need a fat-assed flashlight mounted to your pistola, there are plenty of suitable candidates on the market.

I guess the Hi-Power is like coffee......if you don't get it, I can't explain it to you.
    Ok, you're hired!

When I look for a service weapon the first thing on my list is ...is it classy and the second thing, is it elegant. Cause looks!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

I have had several FN built HiPowers but quickly sold the .40 S&W one, as that heavier slide just ruined the balance. The 9mm versions are the most balanced and graceful of pistols.

They were the most widespread of military and police pistols, at one time. But the action is still a single action with thumb safety. When large capacity double action pistols came on the market, the BHP started losing ground. I think that is because agencies, be they an army or a police department, just don't like the extra training needed to carry a cocked-and-locked pistol. The idea of just aiming and squeezing the trigger appealed to the decision makers since it could make the manual-of-arms simpler.

The Canadian military is now trying to find some pistol to replace the BHP, some of which could be old enough to have shot at SS troopers. Does anybody know where that competition is currently at?

Or is Springfield Armory planning to sell newly made BHPs to the Canadians?

Bart Noir
    "No! It is not called the .45 AARP!"

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    When I look for a service weapon the first thing on my list is ...is it classy and the second thing, is it elegant. Cause looks!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....hlight=passion
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quoted for Hi-Power truth.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaitcev View Post
    Do we know how they make their 911s (clones of Mustang via P238)? Is it an in-house production, or do they subcontract them somewhere?

I head large chunks of their 1911s came from Brazil. Not sure how true that is.

With that sort of metal gun heritage, it should be possible for them to make Hi-Power too.
    Well, I have a 1911 Lightweight that proudly states "Made in Brazil" stamped on the frame.

It's a decent shooter though.

Despite my 500 year old issue with the Turk, I have to admit I wouldn't be above buying one of their HP clones....

User Tag List