Page 11 of 81 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Springfield Armory bringing the Hi Power back?

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Anyone dedicated enough to carry a BHP in Kydex is likely a dude that knows damn well how to run that BHP.
    Classy but capable hardware + new-school carry methods and software = 'squared away gentleman' in my book.

Damnit, between this and the Sokol BHP thread now I have another expensive 'want' I can't afford to indulge.
    Heh, heh. As John McClain said, "Welcome to the party, pal!"

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    He hits the targets well.
    I think there's something to be said for that.

I kinda see this "bifurcation" of goals/expectations in terms of shooting today:

1.) Deliberately and effectively making accurate--if not precise--hits on targets. "Shooting groups," if you will.

2.) Speed shooting--hitting 6-10 inch plates as fast as possible.

A theory/perspective: Perhaps the techniques and tools optimal for #1 vs. #2 are not entirely the same.

I do some steel matches here and there, but I suppose I'm more of a "#1" kinda shooter; guns like the BHP, the 1911, anachronistic Sigs and old-school Walthers seem to work well in that capacity. I've run my BHP in USPSA matches. I make my hits. I don't miss much. But I feel like the trigger is too heavy to be really competitive in speed shooting (that, and I don't practice enough). Yet, it hits precisely on paper and it cleanly excises 10-rings from targets. To me... that's more fun and satisfying. YMMV.

Maybe there's some folks out there that can carve out bullseyes AND fly through USPSA stages with a G19. I'm not one of them. And, from the looks of the paper silhouettes I see at my local ranges... not many are.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    If you're thinking about a Browning Hi Power as a "service weapon," you simply don't get it. This is a retro throw back classic to the days when pistols were made by hand, and fit and finish were matters of pride for the manufacturers. It's not a "service weapon," it's a BBQ gun. You don't carry it in kydex, it goes in a Kramer or Sparks leather rig (maybe even a shoulder holster).
    Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    100% this. If you’re considering a Hi Power as a “service weapon,” you either time traveled 40 years back in time or you’re doing it because of the nostalgia factor. You want a “service weapon” in 2021, you grab some generic, polymer framed, high-cap 9mm. If you’re carrying anything else, it’s because you want to. Yes, I know some people live in restrictive jurisdictions that limit your ability to carry and own modern guns for defense. Those people aren’t who my post addresses since a newly released Springfield Hi Power probably wouldn’t be on the roster of allowable guns anyway.
    Agreed.

A modified BHP can be considered a fine "personal weapon" but it's relevance as a "service weapon" is purely nostalgia.

A "Service weapon" is something which can go into evidence or down a storm drain without a second thought if it needs to be used for it's actual purpose.

The biggest draw backs being cost and relatively low round count service life.
    Last edited by HCM; 10-21-2021 at 11:58 AM.

I just hope that Springfield knocks this BHP reboot out of the park. I need a donor gun to send to Nighthawk and don't want to use anything Turk or one of my current guns.... I have high hopes.
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    Does this spell excommunication for me? 😁
    No soup for you! Three weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post

I might buy a LeMat also but not carry it. LOL, I heard the replicas are crappy anyway.
    To be fair, the originals didnt have that hot a reputation either.

BH Spring Solutions has been quietly providing improvements to the High Power, and they've recently very amicably absorbed RDIH/Leon Hubert. They provide upgraded components, actions, grips and springs. I've been assisting them in field testing and evaluating their offerings for awhile, and have detailed my thoughts, findings and evaluations here on p-f for some time. Most of their offerings are reasonably priced, of exceptional value, and are easy to install (or, if you don't like them, easily removed).

Here's mine, in its current duty guise:

BH SS action upgrades, BH SS springing throughout, BH SS dual spring recoil guide rod, BH SS/RDIH SFS action system, ambi magazine release, extended slide release, RDIH/VCD grips. I've qualified on it for duty, and it's on the short list to be a primary carry/duty/competition gun in 2022. The OEM black epoxy finish holds up well in use.

While a Glock/HK/etc. might be a better duty gun for the reasons HCM discusses, there's no real reason that an upgraded High Power isn't fit for duty. How well it would survive for months or longer in an evidence locker is another question, at least aesthetically...

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    BH Spring Solutions has been quietly providing improvements to the High Power, and they've recently very amicably absorbed RDIH/Leon Hubert. They provide upgraded components, actions, grips and springs. I've been assisting them in field testing and evaluating their offerings for awhile, and have detailed my thoughts, findings and evaluations here on p-f for some time. Most of their offerings are reasonably priced, of exceptional value, and are easy to install (or, if you don't like them, easily removed).

Here's mine, in its current duty guise:

BH SS action upgrades, BH SS springing throughout, BH SS dual spring recoil guide rod, BH SS/RDIH SFS action system, ambi magazine release, extended slide release, RDIH/VCD grips. I've qualified on it for duty, and it's on the short list to be a primary carry/duty/competition gun in 2022. The OEM black epoxy finish holds up well in use.

While a Glock/HK/etc. might be a better duty gun for the reasons HCM discusses, there's no real reason that an upgraded High Power isn't fit for duty. How well it would survive for months or longer in an evidence locker is another question, at least aesthetically...

Best, Jon
    Nothing to do with rust. I can get 3 blue label Glocks with optics for the price of a Novak HP. Meaning I still have two while one is in evidence.

And they will survive a much higher round count which is the preparation for the few rounds you might fire "for realz."

Stock HP suck so that's not even a consideration.

We've had some pretty informed discussion relatively recently that indicates that the previously generally accepted High Power round count parameter limitaqtions (essentially 12K-15K for the barrels and 20K-30K for the frames/components as I recall) might be superceded by the cast frame MK III High Powers (essentially, post 1994 guns, as FN/Browning eventually during that timneframe standardized on the cast frame/upgraded components of the .40 guns to all the 9mm High Powers as well).

BH SS and RDHI/Leon Hubert have provided some significantly improved design, material and manufacturing improvements that have further reinforced the guns and extended their forecasted lifespan.

Pricing obviously favors Glock, and that's a valid and significant factor for many-both individuals and organizations. Maintenance costs and requirements clearly favor Glocks. Environmental resistance clearly favors Glocks.

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    What doesn’t favor Glock is a lack of quality factory thumb safety or factory SCD like device. That’s a non issue for some, but for others it’s an important distinction.

User Tag List