Page 15 of 81 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Springfield Armory bringing the Hi Power back?

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    What would have been cool is if Wilson or Nighthawk would have bought these and started making factory custom pistols with all the proper branding, logos, etc.

That's assuming these are FEG parts and that SA is going to be making a BHP. Or I guess an SAHP. SABHP? BHPSA?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    I think Hi-Power and Hi Power are still trademarked by Browning.

So if I were going to guess this will be the Springfield Armory P-35 or P35.

Since neither Wilson nor Nighthawk make their own frames or slides, they would have needed a quality source of frames and slides to do their work. The HP is popular, but not nearly as popular as a 1911. I'll be honest, I love custom BHPs, I've shot several Yost and Novak guns. The MKIII HP is 90% of the way to what those guns are. Only lacking trigger and stippling.

If SA offers a factory checkered version without a magazine safety - and it can be had for <15 bills. I will go out and buy one, perhaps two. Especially because Mrs. RR is a Hi Power fiend and happily approves any and all P35 related purchases.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Why do you have to come up in here with your dispassionate logic, and making sense, and rational thought process?

We're trying to be irrational and emotional here! Sure, it's a flawed design that's at least 90 years old, but it's not a 1911 and damnit it just LOOKS GOOD!
    There’s nothing wrong with a passion of the gun / shoot for gun gun but you need to be honest about what it is (and is not).

Site Supporter
    Looks like the release will be on Monday.

Ugh, I've been so good at avoiding your Sokol thread Tokarev and here I go and read through all of this and you posted them again. Must not go do down the BHP obsession path again, must not go down the BHP obsession path again....

Quote Originally Posted by fpnunes View Post
    Ugh, I've been so good at avoiding your Sokol thread Tokarev and here I go and read through all of this and you posted them again. Must not go do down the BHP obsession path again, must not go down the BHP obsession path again....
    It's overwhelming, isn't it?
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by fpnunes View Post
    You must! JMB commands it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

The BHP has been stacking Nazis, commies, Islamic, Marxist and Catholic terrorists and assorted criminal riff raff for 86 years and it's still one of the most prevalent pistols around the world.

If the BHP doesn't work for you, the problem is you.

If Springfield does this right, I think they make some simple changes to the MK III design that are pretty much universal mods people desire in one form or another.

1. Thicken the front strap so it can be checkered instead of just stippling because it is too thin, and then factory checker the dang thing 25 lpi or 30lpi! Checker front and back.
    2. Novak compatible front and rear dovetails please and put a set of simple Novaks on it at the factory.
    3. Magazine disconnect is gone and C&S type trigger so the hole is not even there anymore
    4. Some combination of extending the tang and a C&S style no bite hammer to remove that problem for everybody
    5. Set up the hammer and sear (or just OEM the C&S parts) for a nice crisp 4.5-5# trigger

Do all that and I will also buy a pair because I am a hopeless HiPower addict. Otherwise it is just a gun I am about to send off to Bob Cogan at Accurate Plating & Weaponry to do that package of work anyway before he hard chomes it..(or Sokol, or whomever you use). I would also offer two versions, one traditional SA and one with the SFS kit factory installed, but that is not a deal breaker by any means.

I will pass if they don't get this right.

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    It's overwhelming, isn't it?
    Lols, some times it really is. It is scary how much disposable income I've spent on this hobby over the last 30 years.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    The Hi Power and P-38 were the most modern and refined of the bring-back battle pistols I was allowed to fool with, but I can't say that my experiences with either one made me desire a new, commercial copy. This thread pretty much covers the annoying little things about the GP that people were complaining about back in the day (hammer bite, I'm looking at you) and which a good pistolsmith could ameliorate. By the time I was out on my own and making enough money to get new guns with any regularity, the S&W 59 was already out, the CZ 75 (or its clones) were available, and the bloom was definitely off the Hi Power as far as I was concerned.

I had no idea that there was such an overwhelming, pent-up desire for Hi Powers out there.

(Mind you-- it's not as surprising as it would be if there was a clamoring for the Radom VIS 35 or the Astra 600.)
    Last edited by gato naranja; 10-23-2021 at 09:27 AM.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

User Tag List