Page 6 of 81 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Springfield Armory bringing the Hi Power back?

I must be the weird one here. I never much cared for the BHP. My sample size is limited to the one my dad had ( that i now have).

The Spur hammer bites me. The mag disconnect makes mag changes a pain, and the trigger sucks compared to most other guns I have shot. Toss in a tiny thumb safety that has a mushy on/off feel, and I never warmed to it like I did the 1911.

I have shot a couple of other examples over the years, but non ever grabbed me and made me have the "ah ha, now i get it" moment.

I will never sell my example, as it was my father's. I still appreciate the PF love i received here with a nice pair of wooden grips for it. Maybe I will pull the mag safety some day and give it another try.

for now, I will stick to my irrational love of 92 series pizza guns.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    The Spur hammer bites me.
    Try the rowel hammer. I find that a rowel hammer on a 1911 won't bite me but a spur hammer will, and that it's the opposite on the BHP.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I always found the Hi-Power to be slower to reload due to the magazine being more square shaped at the top rather than tapered like most other double stack 9mil pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Try the rowel hammer. I find that a rowel hammer on a 1911 won't bite me but a spur hammer will, and that it's the opposite on the BHP.

Okie John
    I got bit worse by my late 60s T-series (with rowel hammer) than I did with my 201x-made BHP with spur hammer....it's not the protrusion that gets me, it's actually the shank. It pinches/pinched my skin against the frame where they meet...hence why Novak's no-bite modification, you'll see the rear of the hammer shank is scooped out there (for lack of a better description).

I get marks on the back of my hand from the hammer spur now in higher round counts, but the ripping up of the web of my thumb no longer happens...the C&S no-bite set also works really well for mitigating that.

I must be the weird one here. I never much cared for the BHP. My sample size is limited to the one my dad had ( that i now have).

The Spur hammer bites me. The mag disconnect makes mag changes a pain, and the trigger sucks compared to most other guns I have shot. Toss in a tiny thumb safety that has a mushy on/off feel, and I never warmed to it like I did the 1911.

I have shot a couple of other examples over the years, but non ever grabbed me and made me have the "ah ha, now i get it" moment.

I will never sell my example, as it was my father's. I still appreciate the PF love i received here with a nice pair of wooden grips for it. Maybe I will pull the mag safety some day and give it another try.

I am another weird one in that the BHP leaves me cold. My choice for this niche would be a SAO CZ 75. Better controls and ergonomics (to me), much better trigger, decent aftermarket support for parts, tools, and holsters, etc.

That being said, SA bringing the BHP makes sense to me as one of their core approaches has been to revitalize and modify obsolete platforms (1911, semi-M14, M6 survival rifle). Wish them the best of luck.

For sure pretty much all pre-MKII BHPs suck compared to the later guns. And they suck compared to most other, currently available, 9mm handguns.

In the context of the time when they came about they were great.

If someone wants a BHP to carry today, there is zero reason to not opt for a MKIII gun. Which will have a rowled hammer or beavertail to prevent hammer bite, a higher, wider, and easier to hit thumb safety, dovetailed sights, and better trigger. Only the mag disconnect will still be there and that's easily removed.

But compare it to some modern polymer gun - the only advantage the BHP has is a thumb safety that is easy to run. I find it superior to the aforementioned CZ75 (that safety is too low for me). But is it superior to a Sig SAO, 92X Performance, or even an HK thumb safety? No.

I must be the weird one here.
    You're not.

This is one of the least interesting product announcements in the last 10 years, at least to me.

"Oh hay, we're going to make a remake of a gun we never actually made to begin with because NOSTALGIA!, a gun which kind of sucks and already has readily available copies widely all over the market".

1) Springfield never made it, so it's not a historical piece of their company name, 2) it's not a rare historical piece to begin with, 3) There's copies still being produced and imported, not to mention the millions of "original" pieces still in readily available circulation, 4) Springfield is probably not actually making it anyway, just getting another foreign factory to make them and resell under their name.

Gee, thanks, I guess. That's a real cooker, right there. Woopdeedo.

Someone wake me up when Grayguns or Wilson puts a P44/16 into production.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I don't know if this is the case at all but there's a fellow who has been working for several years with cleaning out some of FÉG's warehouses and finding a home for much of this stuff. FEG went bankrupt and got out of the gun business and apparently stuck all the gun stuff in several warehouses in Hungary.

This fellow's work has primarily been with FEG AKs and stuff like that and with helping whoever owns FEG now with getting those Hungarian SVDs imported. But he did find some complete Hi Power pistols and some frames, slides and other parts that need final machine work and assembly.

Could he have found a buyer for all these parts? If this is what Springfield is going and where these parts came from we might have a nice pistol out soon.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I don't know if this is the case at all but there's a fellow who has been working for several years with cleaning out some of FÉG's warehouses and finding a home for much of this stuff. FEG went bankrupt and got out of the gun business and apparently stuck all the gun stuff in several warehouses in Hungary.

This fellow's work has primarily been with FEG AKs and stuff like that and with helping whoever owns FEG now with getting those Hungarian SVDs imported. But he did find some complete Hi Power pistols and some frames, slides and other parts that need final machine work and assembly.

Could he have found a buyer for all these parts? If this is what Springfield is going and where these parts came from we might have a nice pistol out soon.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    In the same vein, has anyone heard anything about what the UK MOD's doing with all those P35's & L9A1's they replaced with Glocks some time back? Springfield Armory is no stranger to importing pistols en masse thanks to the XD, so why not import a ton of BHP's from Hungary and the UK too?
    Last edited by JRB; 10-20-2021 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    You're not.

This is one of the least interesting product announcements in the last 10 years, at least to me.

"Oh hay, we're going to make a remake of a gun we never actually made to begin with because NOSTALGIA!, a gun which kind of sucks and already has readily available copies widely all over the market".

1) Springfield never made it, so it's not a historical piece of their company name, 2) it's not a rare historical piece to begin with, 3) There's copies still being produced and imported, not to mention the millions of "original" pieces still in readily available circulation, 4) Springfield is probably not actually making it anyway, just getting another foreign factory to make them and resell under their name.

Gee, thanks, I guess. That's a real cooker, right there. Woopdeedo.

Someone wake me up when Grayguns or Wilson puts a P44/16 into production.
    The copies being produced and imported are the Turkish guns. The Argentine FMs and the FEGs aren't being made. There are some parts kits. The only recent non-Turkish Hi-Powers I've seen are the beat to shit Israeli guns that were imported. And those promptly sold out in hours. There are millions of HPs globally, but you might be overestimating the availability of newly manufactured HPs in the US.

The other two points, historicalness and rebranding. Those are just reasons to not buy Springfields, to be honest. Rebranding is their MO and the current SA is just a name formed around an importation company in the 1970s. So they never historically made anything.

User Tag List