Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kimber K6s what's the verdict?

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    The YouTube channel Justin Opinion did a review, and Justin said it’s easy to short stroke the trigger. My only experience with the K6 was driving to the store to buy one, and finding that it is easy to short stroke the trigger. That’s largely the user’s fault, but I did have to make a conscious effort not to. I have plenty of revolvers, and shoot them often, but this has never happened to me before. It seems a bit small for .357 magnum, it’s probably great with stout .38 special +p loads. The Colt King Cobra Carry might be worth a look.

@OlongJohnson Your description is too funny. 😕😁
    That's interesting. Across decades with S&W revos I'd never encountered that then in the 90's I would run into that with my SP101 and had to work through it. Any idea on the characteristic of that leads to that? Mechanically that is, not the headspace/timing software.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    That's interesting. Across decades with S&W revos I'd never encountered that then in the 90's I would run into that with my SP101 and had to work through it. Any idea on the characteristic of that leads to that? Mechanically that is, not the headspace/timing software.
    My guess would the trigger return spring isn’t like a S&W. I don’t ride the reset on any pistol, but the Kimber seemed to have a false reset. The members who own one would be of greater help.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    My guess would the trigger return spring isn’t like a S&W. I don’t ride the reset on any pistol, but the Kimber seemed to have a false reset. The members who own one would be of greater help.
    I never noticed that before, but it’s there. I don’t have a way of posting a video here, but there’s definitely a false reset just short of the full reset. I don’t shoot revolvers in a way that would normally come into play.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    How does the K6 compare to the LCR when it comes to easily short stroking the trigger?

My final verdict with my K6S? Outstanding. Especially with the Hogue grips with hot magnum rounds. The original wood grips were blood and tears invoking with hot magnum rounds. It conceals just as well for me AIWB with the Hogue grips so no loss there. It has the sweetest action, by far, over any other stock-out-of-the-box DA revolver I've stroked. I have several hundred rounds through mine and the only reason I don't have more is because I ran out of SPPs. No problem for me with short stroke in either live or dry fire. I'm thinking short stroking would fall more into the user induced category more than the inherent flaw category.

I cant comment on the Kimber but I will opine that making a removable front sight revolver, with no options for different height sights, that “might” be calibrated for one specific weight round that you may or may not be able to find is sub par.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

At least with removable sights it is easier to make different ones and more likely to be done as a production item rather than one of custom work.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    How does the K6 compare to the LCR when it comes to easily short stroking the trigger?
    About the same, IME. Both need attention to getting off the trigger on the reset, but it’s not hard to control. I do find that I have to pay extra attention if I’m coming from, say, a J-frame to either gun. I’ve short stroked both the K6 and the LCR at the range going right to them from shooting a J-frame.

Otherwise, a little dry-fire, or just not working a J-frame in between sessions seems to keep the issue at bay. JMO, OMMV, etc.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I’ve had the DC version for about 2 1/2 years. I’m a big SP101 fan, and have J frames. Neither are in the same league with the K6, fit, finish, or trigger. Especially that sweet K6 trigger. I want a 3”, DA/SA version now, but alas, I’m a poor boy. Ok, a poor old man.
    I want pretty wood, but after trying 4 different grips, I settled on the Hogue Bantams for my old, arthritic hands. They cover the backstrap, which is a must for me. I’ve tested it with .357’s, but settled on Gold Dot, 135 gr. +P for carry.

Skip

I've had one for two or three years now; a concealed hammer 3".
    I really like it. The sights are about as good as it gets without being too big and being a problem that way. The trigger is the best non-smithed DA revolver trigger I've tried. I have not had any short-stroking trigger problems as described here but will probably subconsciously create it when shooting tomorrow.

The goofy appearance gets mentioned by almost everyone. There are a lot of people who won't even look at one because of it.
    My opinion: Big deal. So it looks funny. If I passed up ugly guns I wouldn't own many guns.

The truth is, I rather like how they look.

I did notice one potential/possible/maybe problem just yesterday. I was shooting some reloaded ammo, and maybe three rounds out of the approximately one hundred fired were dragging in places as the cylinder rotated.
    OK, probably slightly high primers.
    The thing is, I had shot at least 500 rounds of this same batch through two S&W 65s recently with no such problem, including six or eight cylinders of it fired through each of those 65s yesterday, the same day. So I found it interesting those few dragged in the Kimber but not the S&Ws. Somewhere around the recoil shield tolerances aren't as forgiving on the Kimber I would assume, but I haven't had a chance to check yet.
    It was a problem because it made the trigger pull jerky and hard to manage as it hit the drag spots.
    Yeah, it's an ammo problem, and carry ammo should be checked for free cylinder rotation, but it was still curious.

Early guns had pretty crappy sight regulation and some firing pin breakages but that appears to have been fixed for a while.

It isn't a problem with the gun itself, but it still sucks that support items like holsters, speedloaders, etc are still on the scarce side. I didn't expect such things overnight, but the gun has been out a little while now. I've seen holster listings for some not-so-common guns where the K6s was absent. I can't believe people are buying more new holsters for the Speed-Six and Trooper than for the K6 right now. SP-101 holsters sometimes work.
    For speedloaders, I have always known Safariland would probably never give me any Comp IIs for it, but I still want some. In the meantime, the SpeedBeez have been OK. Some have said HKS Detective Spl speedloaders sometimes work, but they've only been so-so for me.

I like the K6s enough I'd like to see spin-offs. An L-frame size would be nice in .357 or 5-shot .44 Spl. The current frame in .22 would be neat. An aluminum alloy framed .38 in the current size might be nice also.

User Tag List