Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kimber K6s what's the verdict?

Kimber K6s what's the verdict?

I've never owned a Kimber product in fear of the dreaded reports concerning their 1911's. Now that the K6S has been out a little while, what is the low down on this revolver? I've looked at them in the shops and they are simply beautiful to look at and the trigger is on par with my Colt's. Locally, the 2" will set a person back an even thousand bucks. I like the size, decent sights, and 6-round recessed cylinders. Any experiences out there with a decent round count?

My round count isn’t up there because of the shortage, but I’m very happy with my 3” DAO. I’ve had it a few years now.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I have the K6s in 2" and the DA/SA in 3" and they are jewels in the revolver world. Classy revolvers that harken back to the "old days" of S&W. Fit and finish is polished and refined, melted edges and excellent sights for the purposes that they were built for. Six rounds of 357 and I've shot a fair amount of 357 in them and in J frame Smiths and I will take the Kimber over the J Smith any day.

They remind me of a nice watch that is carefully produced with the intent of lasting a long time and bringing a sense of satisfaction and pride to the owner.

I have a lot of snubbies and I rank them above all the other snubbies on the market at this time, with the new Colt's coming in second. The 640 Pro in 3rd place.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    The design is offensively ugly to look at, IMO. Offensive because it's being pushed as the best that can be done, but it strikes me as what you'd get if you had either engineers who didn't have the the ability to design a better looking gun using their CAD tools, CNC programmers who didn't have the ability to program a better looking gun, or simply unsophisticated CNC equipment that can't reasonably efficiently generate more complex forms. I say that as someone who's overseen the design and production launch of more than a few pieces made with CNC equipment.

There's no art to it. It's like a proof of concept, a demonstration mule, that shows the mechanism works. OK, now go do the rest of the work to make it something someone would actually want...

But beyond that and setting it aside, I've handled a few at LGS in town. I just haven't been that impressed with the fit and finish and the out of the box triggers have been unremarkable. Nowhere near anything I would consider good enough to leave alone. My GP and J are both head and shoulders better after receiving a thorough cleanup.

I like the concept and the basic mechanical design quite a bit, but spending that much money for something that strikes me as a really halfway effort isn't going to happen.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Had a 3" a couple of years ago, put about 900+ rounds of full power 357 through it before I sent it down the road. It held up just fine and was still tight, but that is no long term torture test.

The YouTube channel Justin Opinion did a review, and Justin said it’s easy to short stroke the trigger. My only experience with the K6 was driving to the store to buy one, and finding that it is easy to short stroke the trigger. That’s largely the user’s fault, but I did have to make a conscious effort not to. I have plenty of revolvers, and shoot them often, but this has never happened to me before. It seems a bit small for .357 magnum, it’s probably great with stout .38 special +p loads. The Colt King Cobra Carry might be worth a look.

@OlongJohnson Your description is too funny. 😕😁

I'm the guy who recently bought a Taurus 856, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

It looks like Kimber tried to make a revolver as ugly as a Ruger LCR.

Site Supporter
    And almost succeeded!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    I have the K6s in 2" and the DA/SA in 3" and they are jewels in the revolver world. Classy revolvers that harken back to the "old days" of S&W. Fit and finish is polished and refined, melted edges and excellent sights for the purposes that they were built for. Six rounds of 357 and I've shot a fair amount of 357 in them and in J frame Smiths and I will take the Kimber over the J Smith any day.

They remind me of a nice watch that is carefully produced with the intent of lasting a long time and bringing a sense of satisfaction and pride to the owner.

I have a lot of snubbies and I rank them above all the other snubbies on the market at this time, with the new Colt's coming in second. The 640 Pro in 3rd place.

I agree more or less. The K6S is *generally* finished nicer than competitive options. I also like the trigger and the sights. Early guns had firing pin issues—documented here—but they are cool wheel guns.

I personally rank the 640 Pro above the Colts, and the Kimber on par with the 640 Pro. JMO.

I have a 640 Pro in front of me now, and I’ve owned the Kimber and 3 of the new Colts, including the Night Cobra and the 3” King.

If I was to go re-buy any of them now, it would be the 3” K6S, which I foolishly sold in yet another fit of 1911 lust.

With the 640 P in house, along with a pile of good S&W Js and Ks, I’m not in a hurry to go shopping, but I will probably end up with another K6S at some point. It’s a good revolver. OMMV.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Other than big box gun stores no gun store in my area carries any Kimbers.....based on experience

User Tag List