Thread: 22 Gen 5 VS. 22 Gen 4

Site Supporter

22 Gen 5 VS. 22 Gen 4

I took the new 22 Gen 5 out today and shot it against my 22 Gen 4. I was just shooting steel plate racks to get a feel for the Gen 5 and break it in. I ran about 150 rounds through each with 180 grain Blazer Brass and 180 grain Winchester. The 22 Gen 4 had much more recoil and the 22 Gen 5 was much quicker back on the plates. I felt like I was shooting a 9mm, the recoil was less and the muzzle climb was less. The Gen 5 felt like a gentle push and as if the ammunition was under powered.

Overall I like it a lot. Much like the 23Gen 5 I think Glock did well increasing the slide mass on the Gen 5 .40's. I am keeping an eye out for the Gen 5 35.

Site Supporter

Gen 5 GLOCK 22

Great information, thanks for posting !

Great to hear. You're making me want to get a Gen 5 G22 to see how it is too. Is it just me or does it seem like .40 and larger calibers in general are making a comeback?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    Great to hear. You're making me want to get a Gen 5 G22 to see how it is too. Is it just me or does it seem like .40 and larger calibers in general are making a comeback?

When .40 is so close to 9mm in price why not? 9mm is what I shoot the most but I basically like them all. If I can buy .40 or 45ACP close to 9mm cost I am.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    When .40 is so close to 9mm in price why not? 9mm is what I shoot the most but I basically like them all. If I can buy .40 or 45ACP close to 9mm cost I am.
    Well, I guess the increased shootability of 9mm would be why, though from the feedback I'm seeing here, there's not enough difference to matter between the Gen 5 22/23 and the Gen 5 17/19. Although I wonder if that would still be the case one handed, especially weak hand.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    Well, I guess the increased shootability of 9mm would be why, though from the feedback I'm seeing here, there's not enough difference to matter between the Gen 5 22/23 and the Gen 5 17/19. Although I wonder if that would still be the case one handed, especially weak hand.
    The 17 and 19 have less recoil than the 22gen5 and 23 gen5. The difference for me is with the older Glock .40 models. I feel the .40 gets a bad rap. In many cases with hot loads it is approaching .357 magnum ballistics. Being able to carry a Glock 23 hunting/hiking/backpacking is a better choice than a 19. I carry a 9mm now but in the 90's when my choice was issued 147 grain 9mm loads that were garbage I chose a .40 over them. Once 127 +p+ came out I switched back to a 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    I took the new 22 Gen 5 out today and shot it against my 22 Gen 4. I was just shooting steel plate racks to get a feel for the Gen 5 and break it in. I ran about 150 rounds through each with 180 grain Blazer Brass and 180 grain Winchester. The 22 Gen 4 had much more recoil and the 22 Gen 5 was much quicker back on the plates. I felt like I was shooting a 9mm, the recoil was less and the muzzle climb was less. The Gen 5 felt like a gentle push and as if the ammunition was under powered.

Overall I like it a lot. Much like the 23Gen 5 I think Glock did well increasing the slide mass on the Gen 5 .40's. I am keeping an eye out for the Gen 5 35.

Ignorant question, as I haven't messed with a glock, since learning to fire with a model 20, 10mm, almost 30 years ago.......

Besides doing a slide comparison, did you transfer the springs from the used gun to the new gun to see how much they affected it?

Thanks

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    Ignorant question, as I haven't messed with a glock, since learning to fire with a model 20, 10mm, almost 30 years ago.......

Besides doing a slide comparison, did you transfer the springs from the used gun to the new gun to see how much they affected it?

Thanks
    I did not transfer springs and I don't believe a Gen4 recoil spring will fit a Gen5 gun. I did weigh the slides including the springs. I got the Gen4 slide weighing in at 18.1 ounces and the Gen5 slide weighing in at 20.8 ounces. I believe the slide mass of the gen 5 is soaking up the recoil.

Per the manual and parts list, the recoil spring assemblies ARE different between Gen 4s and 5s. Don’t switch around!
    I’m no engineer/physicist, but increased mass of slide would certainly seem to be a factor.

It’s really difficult to compare to an old memory, but my perception from the weak handed shooting muzzle rise I’m seeing my 27.5 has considerably less recoil than my old 23.2 did.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List