Thread: Buck and slug loading

Buck and slug loading

Hello,
    I am completely new to the reloading world. And I’m looking for some tips on getting started, everything from what equipment and supplies is needed. I would like to start by loading my own buckshot and slugs, does anyone here have experience in that area? Also, a good place to locate the shot and slugs for loading would be nice, in my own searches I only found one or two places. I hope that with being able to buy pre primed hulls that with some practice I could eventually count on them for serious use. Also I’m willing to admit that I don’t know what I don’t know, so if in your opinion it’s not worth doing let me know, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
    Hello,
    I am completely new to the reloading world. And IÂ’m looking for some tips on getting started, everything from what equipment and supplies is needed. I would like to start by loading my own buckshot and slugs, does anyone here have experience in that area? Also, a good place to locate the shot and slugs for loading would be nice, in my own searches I only found one or two places. I hope that with being able to buy pre primed hulls that with some practice I could eventually count on them for serious use. Also IÂ’m willing to admit that I donÂ’t know what I donÂ’t know, so if in your opinion itÂ’s not worth doing let me know, thank you.
    It's not the best time to start, as components are tough to find. There was a guy on castboolits who was making buckshot, and I'd start by looking for him. Everything else is hit or miss.

Buy a Lyman book, and don't deviate from load data. There are guys on YouTube who post all kinds of data, but (almost) none of them pressure test it. Again, on castboolits, there is a shotgun loading subforum, and one guy there has tested his data. Ballistic Products has data.

I load on a collection of MEC loaders, mostly 600s. I use my Chargemaster for powder charges because I've felt good about using the bushings, and because I'm loading 25 rounds of buckshot at a time, not a ton of trap shells.

There's a buck and slug FaceBook group, if you're into FB (I'm not). One member here told me it's pretty useful.

You won't be turning out Federal FC shells. Choke tubes are my answer to that problem.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Check out 24hourcampfire.com and look for club near you that has an active shotgun program. Some of the guys there are reloaders and those guys will have used gear for sale.

They’ll also talk your ear off, which is what you really need right now.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Thank you for the tips. I’ve got a good place start based off of your recommendations at least. Thanks again

Site Supporter

About Buck/Slug Reloading

I urge you to join castboolit forum and read there. Unless you find a cheap source of scrap lead and cast your buck and slugs, you will not save money. Even then, at current costs of other components you very likely will not. However, you would have fun and learn much. If you consider cost of new reloading equipment and cost of components, you might consider shooting factory products. One good trick is buying used equipment and looking for deals on powder from shooters who are leaving the game for one reason or another. This was my tactic, and it worked for me.

Buck and slug loading

I started reloading buckshot this year due the rising costs and availability of factory. I got lucky and caught 1k primed Fiocchi hills for normal price, and another 1k a few months later at a slightly inflated price. I haven’t figured cost per round, but I’m planning on casting my own slugs and buckshot soon since I caught a local deal on 30 year old wheel weights and used molds from an old timer looking to move into a retirement community.

Ballistic Products Inc will fast become your friend, and their load manuals are better for load data most other manuals. Things come and go out of stock pretty fast so be ready to pull the trigger when something you need is in stock.

Handloads are generally as or slightly more accurate than the fiocchi shooting dynamics 9 pellet loads I use as training ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

Bump to see if the economics are any different now. The only indoor range around me that allows shotguns limits you to buck or slug only so I'm trying to see if it's worth buying or loading.

Years ago I rolled my own skeet loads on a Lee Load-All so I'm not totally new to shotgun reloading.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

There's a guy on Youtube that does all sorts of Buckshot loading videos, They are geared more toward hunting type loads. I'm currently loading one in particular and it seems to work fine in my Beretta 1301. I have a Lee Load all and so far my shells have worked 100%.

https://www.youtube.com/@BubbaRountree/videos

User Tag List