Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Revolver reliability and the 2,000 round challenge. Useful?

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    The USBP test and evaluations of Ruger Six series vs. S&W speak volumes and are in the public domain. PM me with an email address which can accept 20MB of .pdf attachments and I can send them to you.
    Outpost75 was kind enough to provide me with these tests and evaluations. I've always been a Ruger Security Six appreciative user-the reports only elevate my appreciation. And, much as I almost hate to admit it, I've had fewer operational issues with my Security Six compared to my GP100, and the Security Six is capable of being tuned to a much nicer trigger pull (not that the GP's is bad per se, or incapable of improvement-just that the -Six guns are capable of greater refinment).

Pretty much the only Security Six component that gives me any cause for potential concern is the trigger return spring, but quality replacements are available from Wolff. While the -Six guns are no longer supported by Ruger, as Jerry Kuhnhausen notably says in his shop manual, "The Ruger Double Action Shop Manual Vol. 1," hardly anything on them ever breaks.

In my ownership, I've replaced one rear sight assembly (Ruger provided me with a current production spare free of charge) and one trigger return spring (ironically, the one I originally had broke when dryfiring literally minutes after mine was returned aftergoing a courtesy Ruger in-depth inspection and service-Ruger was mortified, immediately sent me a RMA and a shipping label, and thoroughly went through the gun a second time...it's been fine ever since)

With the Millett Orange Bar front sight I had installed to replace the OEM serrated black blade, new white outline Ruger adjustable rear sight, and its set of Trausch grips, customized to fit by the late Jacques Trausch, I'm a pretty happy camper with mine. I carefully polished mine with Mother's Magwell Polish; the sight plane metal on the topstrap and serrated barrel top was left in OEM brushed stainless finish.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 10-20-2021 at 05:48 PM.

I have a theory that respect to revolvers, the larger the holes, the fewer the problems. Powder flecks and debris and carbon build build is more problematic the smaller the caliber. I have encountered fewer problems with calibers starting with a four than those with a three. That said, by far my most reliable handguns (including the Glocks) have been iterations of Ruger Blackhawks in .44 and .45 followed by an N-frame in .44.

User Tag List