Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP: Need recommendations for the best Factory 40 S&W ammo for self defense

Question HELP: Need recommendations for the best Factory 40 S&W ammo for self defense

Hello!
    I am looking for recommendations for the best Factory 40 S&W ammo for self defense when used in a short barreled auto ( HK P2000sk )
    I have been out of the game for a while and I have not kept up with the latest advancement in ammo technology. It's a bit confusing...

Any advice appreciated

Thanks!

For the first time in eighteen months, I saw .40 S&W ammo as it was taken out of the just-arrived shipping box at the LGS. It was the 180-grain Winchester Ranger-T, one of the loads recommended by @DocGKR. At least one duty load is starting to get released into regular commercial channels in 2021.

My local PD carried Speer 165 gr Gold Dots in their .40s. They had a couple of solid stops with it, so I chose it for my carry ammo. It's fairly high on Doc's list, too.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    My local PD carried Speer 165 gr Gold Dots in their .40s. They had a couple of solid stops with it, so I chose it for my carry ammo. It's fairly high on Doc's list, too.
    I barely shoot .40 anymore but what I have on hand is a few K rounds of American Eagle and about 400 rounds of 180-grain Gold Dot. That was my home defense and carry load for years. .40’s time has come and mostly gone, but the .40 Gold Dots, as I understand it, were uniformly pretty stellar performers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    I barely shoot .40 anymore but what I have on hand is a few K rounds of American Eagle and about 400 rounds of 180-grain Gold Dot. That was my home defense and carry load for years. .40’s time has come and mostly gone, but the .40 Gold Dots, as I understand it, were uniformly pretty stellar performers.

Nah, the .40 is still a player- it's my arthritic hands whose time has come and gone.😁

Vending Machine Operator
    Nah, the .40 is still a player- it's my arthritic hands whose time has come and gone.[emoji16]
    For what it’s worth I still enjoy the round too. I’ve kept all 4 of my guns chambered in it and I’m likely going to get a G22 Gen 5 as well. I hike in the Rockies a lot and it’s a great dual purpose anti-person / anti-critter round.

State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

SGAmmo has

180-grain HST: https://www.sgammo.com/product/40-ca...t-ammo-p40hst1

165-grain PDX1: https://www.sgammo.com/product/40-ca...-ammo-s40swpdb

165-grain Gold Dot: https://www.sgammo.com/product/40-ca...rotection-ammo

--

Personally, I'd opt for the HST, because it is the cheapest at $1/round vs $1.50 and $1.75 for the PDX and GD respectively. At this point, defensive ammunition of any caliber at $1/round is an excellent buy.

Nah, the .40 is still a player- it's my arthritic hands whose time has come and gone.😁
    Getting old sucks.

And it ain't for wussies.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Site Supporter
    I am one step removed from a number of successful uses of 180 G Speer Gold Dot with a 1000+ person local agency and a 4000 person federal agency. Both use 180 Lawman as their training round which is quite similar in terms of POI/POA/Felt Recoil etc.

That remains good enough for me in my carry G35.

Having said that, I would implicitly trust the recs of DocGKR and if I get get something off the list @1.00 a round v 1.75 a round and it worked in my gun, I would buy that and drive on.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

User Tag List