Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Light recoil in a small gun for small hands?

Light recoil in a small gun for small hands?

Looking for general recommendations / advice for those who have taught very small stature women / children having small hands.

One of the women coming to a charity “intro to handguns” session I’m doing reminded me that she has tiny hands.

She’s petite and maybe 4’10”?

Initially I was thinking of 22LR and 9mm handguns… but now thinking maybe I should bring some 32ACP and 380?

I have a P938 with 22LR slide.
    Also a Shadow 2 Kadet that I could put thin grips on but it might be too heavy for her.
    Ruger LCR22 but she’d have to shoot SA since the DA would be too heavy.

P32, Glock 42, Kimber micro 380.

Or am I overthinking and should bring a Gen 5 Glock 19 with backstrap removed?

I’ll bring P365s and might bring compensated ones for softer shooting. But might be too loud.

Advice? Experiences?

9mm in a small gun is probably a bit much for a small first-timer. But you never know — in one intro session we had a woman who thought the .22s were boring and preferred a 1911.

Running a revolver single-action is fine for a first time if they can safely manipulate the hammer.

Other smallish options if you can borrow from other folks..

Ruger Bearcat .22
    Ruger SR22 .22
    S&W M&P Compact .22

G42
    S&W Shield EZ .380

If you’re shooting 9mm, lighter loads like the Syntech 150 are nice to have.

Plugs & muffs — less noise means less perceived recoil.
    Last edited by peterb; 10-16-2021 at 07:11 AM.

Site Supporter
    Steel J frame with .38 Special wadcutters? That Taurus .380 revolver of yours?

SR 22 is the best answer I know of. Small and easy to shoot, and you can include as much or as little complexity in explaining its functionality to her as you like. That said, my 14 year old daughter was just shooting my Glock 44 without backstrap the other day and it worked fine for her. I don't know exactly how tall she is but I wouldn't say she's any much over 5 feet, if that. So I suspect the 19 would fit her hands OK.

In general, I think 22's are a good way to start. The report of the 9mm is oftentimes very off-putting. If you're having people shooting both centerfire and 22 on the line, if you can keep them separated, that helps, too. I second the plugs and muffs suggestion.

Of the guns you mentioned having on hand, my guess is the 938 with 22 slide might work great. The LCR22 is also a good option, and I don't think having her shoot single action is bad on the first outing. I've taught a lot of kids to shoot and I have never really found that the 22/45 goes amiss, even though it's big and heavy. (Mine's a 5 inch.) They can just lay it down on the table after every shot or two. No problem. My 10 year old son was just shooting this gun a few days ago, and doing fine. So I'm not sure your Shadow Kadet wouldn't work. My guess is that it's the best way to start, out of the guns you mentioned having on hand, and then let her pick out other things to try as she builds some confidence. She might love shooting a 9mm. Or not.
    O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts, And men have lost their reason.

Absolutely stay with 22s to start. My new female shooter is very comfortable (now) with a G44, even though it's a bit big for her hands. If your shooter is absolutely tiny, a Ruger MkIV or Browning Buckmark (or something in that size) might be more "hand friendly"

PLEASE don't have her start with a micro-compact 9mm.

I would keep it simple with the rimfires. And, double hearing protection-muffs and plugs-with eye protection. Load one round initially, and take it slow on a big target. A positive experience is what is sought.
    Conceivably, the G42, and you might stretch it to a 19 if the enthusiasm is there. I often shoot one round (even.22) as a new shooter watches so they get the experience/know what to expect. Then they dry fire before one round.
    I don’t think you ought to have many calibers-it may confuse the novice.
    And good on you for helping!

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I have a P938 with 22LR slide.
    Also a Shadow 2 Kadet that I could put thin grips on but it might be too heavy for her.
    Ruger LCR22 but she’d have to shoot SA since the DA would be too heavy.

P32, Glock 42, Kimber micro 380.
    Assuming these are all guns you have and you're not looking to use this as an excuse to buy any new ones.

I had a P938 SAS. Perhaps the most expensive gun I ever bought, as it got me interested in Sigs generally. The 938 itself went down the road, though, because it was too small for my hands. Every time I worked a presentation in dry fire, I noticed that my thumb knuckle was in line with the lower left corner of the slide, and I'd almost certainly bleed (and worse) in live fire. One of those things you can't spend quite enough time with it in the LGS to figure out before bringing it home. With a .22 LR slide on it, it might be perfect for your friend. The trigger was certainly decent.

I would say bring the LCR22 as another thing for her to experience if she wants to try it. Don't necessarily assume she won't be able to handle that DA, let her try it dry fire. Lots of women almost immediately prefer revolvers.

On the basis of my LCP, I'd expect the P32 to jump a little much even though it's only a .32.

If she wants to step it up to .380, the Kimber is probably an easier choice due to its SA trigger and similarity to the P938. Glock triggers can take some learning and that might be frustrating for her.

If you'd consider running out and buying something, a Buck Mark with the smaller "URX" grip frame (the frame is available in a couple non-URX variants, too) would be excellent. Under the rubber finger-groove URX grip is the same frame as this one:
    https://www.browning.com/products/fi...-rosewood.html
    IMO, if you don't have a Buck Mark or Ruger Mk# already, you should buy one of those for yourself. The URX grip is available as an accessory and will go right on it, making it fit a very wide range of hands and protecting the rosewood scales from getting dinged up when you carry it around in the woods as a snake/rabbit/squirrel/plinking (a.k.a. "Woodsman") gun. The "UFX" is the standard, original full-size grip frame, so don't get them confused.

I also have a Browning 1911-22, and its child-size frame somehow seems to magically fit my oversize hands just fine. It's a giggle with CCI SV ammo. Would be an awesome way to introduce children to shooting and the 1911 manual of arms if that's in your future. Get a version with aluminum frame and functional sights. In general, the models branded "Medallion" have alloy frames: https://www.browning.com/products/fi...full-size.html
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I've been considering a Ruger LCR in .327 Federal Magnum loaded with .32 S&W Long for my daughter who has small hands.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    I've been considering a Ruger LCR in .327 Federal Magnum loaded with .32 S&W Long for my daughter who has small hands.
    I've gone this route for myself. I've got hand issues (ligament damage). It works really well. Depending on how small her hands are, a Beretta model 81 in .32ACP with Lok grips might be another option.

I wouldn't bother looking at any center-fire options for an intro to handguns class for petite shooters. The first goal is safety, the second goal is confidence building. Stick with 22LR from one of the common platforms. Bonus points for light triggers and easy to cock actions. My petite wife hates the classic Ruger autos because of the pinching required to load. She much prefers our Glock 44 and it's blocky and easy to overhand-grip slide

ETA: My wife is 5' 0" with shoes on and ~95 lbs. A 19 without backstrap is the limit of what she can handle and the trigger reach is really too far. On a G44 it's less of an issue. She can handle her G42 but loading it is challenging and it's definitely not a shoot all day kind of gun.

User Tag List