Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Light recoil in a small gun for small hands?

All neat, but I would respectfully still suggest starting with .22 rimfire, particularly with someone brand new. Those of us who are “into guns” may overlook that folks might get overwhelmed with choices-.22, .380, 9x19, etc.
    Best of luck with your session!

Edit to add: the converted 938 probably to start, then the .22 revolver so a née person will see different types.

Hammertime
    Stick with a rimfire.

G44 is the pistol that is a gateway drug to shooting in my experience.

True story: my fiancée went shooting with me once 26 years ago at a friends farm. She tore it up with various rim fires. So we thought to give her a chance as a 9mm pistol. She took one shot. Put it down and hasn’t touched a gun since.

I really regret advancing her too quickly. But I am super happy with the marriage that followed.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    All neat, but I would respectfully still suggest starting with .22 rimfire, particularly with someone brand new. Those of us who are “into guns” may overlook that folks might get overwhelmed with choices-.22, .380, 9x19, etc.
    Best of luck with your session!

Edit to add: the converted 938 probably to start, then the .22 revolver so a née person will see different types.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Stick with a rimfire.

G44 is the pistol that is a gateway drug to shooting in my experience.

True story: my fiancée went shooting with me once 26 years ago at a friends farm. She tore it up with various rim fires. So we thought to give her a chance as a 9mm pistol. She took one shot. Put it down and hasn’t touched a gun since.

I really regret advancing her too quickly. But I am super happy with the marriage that followed.
    Sorry, the context I didn’t give is that only that one shooter is new and I am bringing guns for the others as well.

Two of the women I have taught before and they moved on from rimfire pretty quickly.

I figure I will do the 938-22 and LCR22 for the new shooter and let her pick what else if anything she would like.

I’ll try and play it by ear depending on her reaction when others are shooting. It’s at least outdoors.

Good times

Did it today. The women moved on from the 22LR pretty quickly.

The 380 pistols were a hit.

I also did a 20% gel block demonstration with 22LR, ball and JHP 380 vs. ball and JHP 9mm.

I like 20% gel because you can shot the comparative information in one block.

Name:  906AE47B-9B6D-474F-9EAD-29DE021399B4.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  78.8 KB

Site Supporter
    Even though I’m revolver searching for my wife, she did well with the EZ Shield.380, and it’s the gun she started with. She shoots it well and the recoil is minimal. Plus it has a grip safety, so thumbing the back of the slide gets her hand off the safety and acts like a “gadget”.

S&W really did a great job with the EZ Shield.

The only reason we are revolver shopping is because she’s more comfortable with the simplicity of revolver handling.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Even though I’m revolver searching for my wife, she did well with the EZ Shield.380, and it’s the gun she started with. She shoots it well and the recoil is minimal. Plus it has a grip safety, so thumbing the back of the slide gets her hand off the safety and acts like a “gadget”.

S&W really did a great job with the EZ Shield.

The only reason we are revolver shopping is because she’s more comfortable with the simplicity of revolver handling.
    I think it’s a great gun. I own one but my wife didn’t like the grip safety go figure. So it’s on permanent loan to my best friend’s wife.

User Tag List