Thread: Help With Hornady AP Powder Set-up (Video)

Help With Hornady AP Powder Set-up (Video)

I’m an experienced reloader, but am setting up my first progressive press: Hornady AP for 9mm cartridges.

I’ve got a problem with the powder system, and pretty obviously something is wrong about the set up. I took it apart and gave it a good cleaning and reassembled it, at the same time changing the rotor for pistol charges.

The rotor isn’t cycling the powder meter through it’s full range.

Please let me know what’s wrong with my setup….

Here’s a brief video

Thanks,

George

Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

I have no experience with the Hornady AP but over a decade with a Dillon 550. It looks like the travel is only about 19mm (9mm case length) and that is not enough to cycle the powder measure fully. Is there a way to make the case contact the powder drop at a lower point so it can cycle the powder measure fully. (lower that PM die to force it to contact earlier?)

Alternatively, is there a different geometry arm that would work on the powder measure to force it through it's full stroke with the short movement of a pistol length case? (something that connects to the powder measure arm closer to its center?)

Just spitballing here,

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Go to 3:00 or so.

Thanks

Thanks for the responses….the video was extremely helpful….

I needed to lower the powder measure into the press…but also found that the meter was not inserted properly into the rotor, which kept it from cycling properly.

All looks good!!

George
    Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

User Tag List